Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2017 3:01:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice blaster and nice shooting.

Do you plan on competing with it? Such at the PRS series, or such.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks awesome
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice. Any noticible recoil difference going to 6mm?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Will you be competing with it? I'll be interested in reading your experiences with the 6mm Creed through the season. Barrel life, shot spotting for the score keeper, brass life, 108 eld-m performance since I'm sure you'll get your hands on a couple boxes to try out

Nice setup too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Calculating:
Will you be competing with it? I'll be interested in reading your experiences with the 6mm Creed through the season. Barrel life, shot spotting for the score keeper, brass life, 108 eld-m performance since I'm sure you'll get your hands on a couple boxes to try out

Nice setup too.
View Quote
I've run mine in 4 PRS matches this year and some local stuff.  Spotters are able to see hits fine as am I. Impacts at 1200 were not difficult to see.  Longer stages are PRS matches always have flashers on them and the spotter is still able to see incaee you hit the target hanger or something like that. Im expecting barrel life to be around 1200 rounds for match use.  I wouldn't trust it beyond that.  I have about 550 on one barrel and 650 on my other.   
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice, Rob!  I have been holding strong with trying to stay in the 6.5 realm, but a good friend has been running a 6SLR recently, and he's been crushing it.  Not to mention, dude is obviously a damn good shooter, but the round seems very appealing.  He just uses Winchester .243 brass, runs it through the SLR die.  You get a really long neck and they don't need any turning.  He's hitting a 110SMK (stupid BC on those, by the way) at 3080.  

I should be picking up my new 6.5 Creedmoor this week, but the barrel on one of my .260's is almost toast, so I am now contemplating trying a 6.  

Many guys are rocking the Dasher, but I just hate the thought of needing to fire form every piece of brass just to get started.  The SLR and the 6CM are looking very appealing.

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FALex:
Very nice, Rob!  I have been holding strong with trying to stay in the 6.5 realm, but a good friend has been running a 6SLR recently, and he's been crushing it.  Not to mention, dude is obviously a damn good shooter, but the round seems very appealing.  He just uses Winchester .243 brass, runs it through the SLR die.  You get a really long neck and they don't need any turning.  He's hitting a 110SMK (stupid BC on those, by the way) at 3080.  

I should be picking up my new 6.5 Creedmoor this week, but the barrel on one of my .260's is almost toast, so I am now contemplating trying a 6.  

Many guys are rocking the Dasher, but I just hate the thought of needing to fire form every piece of brass just to get started.  The SLR and the 6CM are looking very appealing.

Please keep us posted.
View Quote
The 110 is an amazing bullet.  The reamer real needs to have less free bore than what is out there, but I hit 1200 at last weekend with 9.0 Mils.  They have a different shape than anything else out there and I have seen some 8 twist barrels not spin them.  They run great in a 7.5"

People who shoot dasher and do well with it, are ones who can definitely call wind better than I can.  It's an efficient case, but like you said the fire forming sucks, the guys running it at 3000 aren't saving much barrel life.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting about the bushing die. I was considering a 6mm creedmoor gas gun and that little tidbit makes it a little more appealing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on the new setup.

I really enjoy shooting 6mms.  I've had a 6mm Remington and now a 6x47L.  The part I like is how versatile they are, put the 87 Vmax in and shoot varmints, load a match bullet and shoot benchrest, or enjoy a day nailing steel at 1300 with a 105 or 110 grain bullet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#14]
My buddy Wes switched from 6.5 to 6 creedmoor this year for PRS and he said he wished he would have sooner, he couldn't believe how much better spotting misses and follow up shots were since 6.5 isn't exactly a heavy recoil anyway.  He said it is night and day.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]
So you are in CT and had a guy from my hometown build you a rifle?  I didn't know there were any smiths in Midland but I did move away in the late 80's.

Nice rifle, are you sponsored by Hornady?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:41:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yup. Know people all over lol If you move back you will have a good local smith.

Thanks. Yes I am.
View Quote
I doubt I'll ever move back.  18 years was enough.  Visit family out there still and was a good place to grow up.  

Cool to be sponsored.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I don't think I would call the recoil reduction night and day. Same with the ability to sot your shots. With a god brake neither recoil much. There is a slight reduction in the recoil with the 6mms but both can be run effectively.
View Quote
Yeah I don't know personally, I was going off what he said.  He went from middle of the pack at the matches to placing top 5 regularly.  So it obviously helped him a decent amount but there are obviously other variables at play as well.  He runs a suppressor 100% of the time so that might be some of it.  He is 6'5" 275ish so I wouldn't think 6.5 would kick him too hard either lol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I pulled the trigger on components for a 6mm CM as well, granted I'm doing a semi-auto.

Does the 6mm creedmoor use the same case headspace gage as the 6.5 creedmoor? I already have a Wilson 6.5 gage and it doesn't look like they make one for 6mm CM.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice setup and initial results Rob. I am itching to get one of my rifles back into 6mm, and this factory ammo might be the trick.

Comments on the 6SLR - I really enjoyed mine back when I had time to reload. It actually shot most consistently when I was using first-time brass prior to a "fireform", I would just run (sorted) Winchester .243 brass into the Redding SLR bushing dies and go. I ran 115's, as the newer bullets didn't exist yet. Sucker was a laser and soft on recoil for sure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you tried setting back your barrels at the expected end of life? With the overall all length you have, a 1.25-1.5" setback will not give up too much velocity and you should get another 1000 or more rounds out of it.

Krieger and Satern both recommend doing that, but it seems like no one is talking about it anymore. I have extended barrels to double their expected like, even shooting 80gr 22/250's, like the 6.5x284, those are serious barrel burners.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By F224:
Have you tried setting back your barrels at the expected end of life? With the overall all length you have, a 1.25-1.5" setback will not give up too much velocity and you should get another 1000 or more rounds out of it.

Krieger and Satern both recommend doing that, but it seems like no one is talking about it anymore. I have extended barrels to double their expected like, even shooting 80gr 22/250's, like the 6.5x284, those are serious barrel burners.
View Quote
Ive seen barrels have this done and only go another 200 rounds and be dead again.  That risk for me isn't worth the cost of another chamber job.  I know some can go double but there is no sure number to it 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: austinconnect] [#26]
Has anyone tried the new 103gr ELD-X hunting load from Hornady?

I'm enjoying the 108gr ELD in my RPR but I'd love to find an ammo for shooting varmints from really far away. I have a .204 that is just fantastic within 400 yards. The .204 VMAX bullets have some insane expansion. I wish Hornady made a 6CM VMAX load.

Has anyone had any success handloading the 87gr VMAX for 6CM? Is that too light for a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top