Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2017 8:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotewillie]
Looking to get a long range rifle in 6.5 Creedmore. I can shoot up to 800yds on my property. I've narrowed down my choices to a RPR, a Savage LRP, or a Bergara HMR. I've had several AR's over the years, but have never gotten one that I can shoot tiny groups with. I reload everything but no load has ever satisfied me. I really have the feeling that I just don't shoot an AR well. Even though I've always wanted a Ruger Precision, I'm just not sure that I'll have any luck with it since it's so close to an AR style. I've had excellent luck with Savages...so far. With so many new precision type rifles out there, I don't hear much anymore about the LRP's and what kind of accuracy people are getting these days. The Bergara HMR is pretty new so there's not a lot of longer term testing yet and they're hard to find right now. The adjustable stock would be a plus on this one(?). Any thoughts anyone on THESE 3? Thanks. Greg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

So, I ended up picking up an RPR reasonable off Gunbroker. Well, then the same dealer had a Bergara HMR right after I bid for the ruger. So I thought about it a bit and bought that one too! Dealer had 2 and offered me both, cheaper than I can get around here, but must have made decent money off me. But, I only took the one. Now I'll get my hands on both and see which one stands out. Shouldn't have any trouble selling the other. Problem solved. Of course now I can't make up my mind which scope!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the others but my son got the Ruger in 6.5 C and is very pleased with its performance.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerranger:
This is what you need.
View Quote
Don't they have anti-2A history?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:

Don't they have anti-2A history?
View Quote
I think the owner supported obama then lost his job at his own company.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If you've had good luck with Savages, stick with them.
I've had the LRP in Creedmoor for almost a year now. Can't say enough good things about it.
I don't reload. But I've been strictly shooting the Prime 130 grain factory ammo. Third time out I was hitting 600 yard steel targets with ease.  Not missing. Rifle is so fun to shoot. Another range I visit has only 400 yard distances but with really small steel targets. Two tiny ones. The LRP was popping them good at 400.
The RPR looks great too. I'm about to pick one up in 5.56 in two weeks.
You can't go wrong with any of the rifles you listed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of those choices I'd be looking at the Bergara.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Savage LRP.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered the savage stealth, GRS or even the 10T? Or do you need a 26 inch barrel? Nice thing about savage is ability to change the barrel yourself. RPR too. My 2 savages are working great for me. Have a 10T in 308 and FCP in 338.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:36:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokinghole] [#10]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Have you considered the savage stealth, GRS or even the 10T? Or do you need a 26 inch barrel? Nice thing about savage is ability to change the barrel yourself. RPR too. My 2 savages are working great for me. Have a 10T in 308 and FCP in 338.
View Quote
I have a home built Savage GRS.  The stock is awesomely comfortable.  I think any of them would be good for OP though.  If you reload don't discount other reload only cartridges like 6.5x47L or 6.5 S/LR (these are if you're willing to build).  I was going to go 6.5 S/LR but ended up finding a 6.5 Creed barrel for a damn good price.  So there I went.  

On a side note you can get a barrel that goes on Cooper Rifles from a place called raggedholes.net they carry mostly heavy sporter and light varmint profiles from Wilson.  Anyhow you can pick up a "rescue" savage like I did and built it out with a scope and rings for about $1100.  Plus its fun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The Ruger by far.  Available accessories and spare parts, it's compatibility with AR tools, and the ability to accept multiple types of magazines.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Really don't need a 26" bbl like the Savage has, and it's not threaded. The other 2 are threaded so I could put a suppressor on....except I don't have one, don't know if I want one. Been around them, and my personal opinion is that they're a damned expensive set of earplugs! The GRS stock has a nice feel to it, I'd like to try shooting one. And of course I'd like to try the Ruger out since most people don't think it's too ARish feeling. I've really had good luck with Savages but it's probably got less of the features I want than the other two. Bergara is the least expensive and the Ruger is half again as much. But anyway, it helps to write it out here and also to get everyone's opinions too. Thanks for the replies. Greg
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't count the Savage BA Stealth out.  I own one and it is very accurate but it does have some short comings from the factory IMO.  The stock is horrible,it needed a 20 MOA scope rail and a longer/better bolt handle.  Again, it is very accurate and I've had it out to 1K yards ringing steel with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I did the LRP. No regrets or buyer's remorse. Threading will cost me $75 with a thread protector. It is heavy, and takes up lots of the already mild recoil of the 6.5 cm. All of the rifles you are looking at will make you happy. I had to get a cheek riser. Savage has 10 round compatible factory magazines for $58. The Darkeagle brand magazines are nicer, and cost $95. Both hold 9 rounds better than 10.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
have you looked at the savage fcp-sr in 6.5 creedmore ? it comes with detachable 10 round mag and choice of 20 or 24 inch barrel and a threaded muzzle .  I have one in 308 with a 20 inch barel and like it alot  . I think I paid 575.00 out the door .
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with the Bergara myself, its the most comfortable of the three to me. Not to mention its built off a rem 700 foot print to allow all 700 aftermarket parts and accessories to drop right in: triggers, scope bases, a new chassis if you want one down the road. I'd buy one again if the choice came up again. If you really want an equivalent to the RPR though, the Bergara BMP is more of an equal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top