Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 8:30:15 PM EDT

The one I got has a threaded muzzle with a knurled thread protector.

Slick fire stick.

Will take it through its paces soon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Very Nice!

I am between putting my Ruger Predator in a Chassis or the new Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking stick
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
nice . look forward to seeing a review
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have that action love it
Also have RAP looking for review on magpul stock
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
where did you get it? how much did it set you back?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Did it come with the Nikko Stirling(sp?) diamond long range scope, too?

Undoubtedly the gun will shoot well--kinda intrigued with that scope of theirs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By the444shooter:
Did it come with the Nikko Stirling(sp?) diamond long range scope, too?

Undoubtedly the gun will shoot well--kinda intrigued with that scope of theirs.
View Quote
No.  I got it clean of optics.  I'm looking for a base now.  I really like the one I used for the Howa Mini Grendel from Outer Impact, so might hit them up again.

I'll put a Vortex on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
In for range report/updates
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice. Was going to get one of these, but I couldn't find one anywhere. Picked up a Bergara B-14 BMP instead
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice rifle. I've always been of the opinion that the Howa 1500 is a Remington 700 made right.

Offering it paired with the nikko sterling scope was a bad move on their end imo. Makes me take the rifle less seriously when they pair it with garbage.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Nice rifle. I've always been of the opinion that the Howa 1500 is a Remington 700 made right.

Offering it paired with the nikko sterling scope was a bad move on their end imo. Makes me take the rifle less seriously when they pair it with garbage.
View Quote
Nikko and Howa are under the Legacy Sports umbrella together that's why you will see them paired.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

Nikko and Howa are under the Legacy Sports umbrella together that's why you will see them paired.
View Quote
Makes sense, would still like to see what the rifle is really capable of.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#13]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

View Quote
It's a Japanese hybrid of the SAKO and Rem700 actions.

Weight on this thing:

Empty- 9lbs 13oz
With mag- 10lbs 4oz
With mag and Harris-S bipod- 11lbs 4oz

Trigger is 2-stage, very light on the final break, I'd say ~3lbs.

The barrel is hammer-forged.

Action, barrel, and bolt are Cerakoted FDE.  Chassis is Multicam hydro-dipped.  Comes with one 10rd mag Accurate Mag brand.

I have stacks of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo to test, including the new 130gr Berger Hybrid load from Federal Gold Medal Match line, Nosler, Hornady, etc.

Just trying to decide on base.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#14]
cant wait for feedback on this rifle.
I have the barreled action, want to see how it performs
thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it looks funny with the Luth-AR stock. I think it need the tactical buttstock from XLR to look right. Other than that it seems like a great rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Was checking those out last week.  SOLID gun on a great action.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#17]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

View Quote
I just put one of these on an OLD Remington 700 recently.  Even the SCREWS were done right.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2988135668/tps-1-piece-xp-tactical-picatinny-style-base-remington-700-matte
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I ended up ordering an EGW 20 MOA base from Midway about a month ago.

Got it blasted by my local custom rifle shop folks and will Cerakote it FDE to match the barreled action.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking forward to a range report.  I looked at that rifle at SHOT and was impressed, but I really want to know how they shoot before I purchase a 6.5 precision rifle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I ended up ordering an EGW 20 MOA base from Midway about a month ago.

Got it blasted by my local custom rifle shop folks and will Cerakote it FDE to match the barreled action.
View Quote
LRRP:

Here is a suggestion:

get a full length standard rifle tube from an AR,  pop it on..... add a Magpul PRS Gen II ( cuz it is MUCH prettier and tough as hell )

Paint the stock and the chassis....that off, flat foliage green that Magpul used to use.....

due the contrast.....it would be mega sexy.....AND operationally hot and sweet all in the same, minty fresh breath!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#21]
LRRP I'm still waiting on a range report. Surely there's someone close to you to chauffeur to the range? Them new toy's are begging to play.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
LRRP I'm still waiting on a range report. Surely there's someone close to you to chauffeur to the range? Them new toy's are begging to play.
View Quote
I just got cleared hot to drive at my comfort level.

Not sure what that is as I haven't driven since May and my foot is still really tight.

I like the Luth stock actually, closed as much as I can get it.

You can eliminate the rattle by tightening an Allen screw on the side, which clamps it to the RET.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:41:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#23]

Not sure what that is as I haven't driven since May and my foot is still really tight.

You can eliminate the rattle by tightening an Allen screw on the side, which clamps it to the RET.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Yeah the Luther ar is growing on me. I haven't bought one yet but my buddy has the collapsible version that is pretty sweet.

Rehabilitation will help loosen your tendons. Just listen to your rehabilitation person.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I like that Luth AR buttstock too.  I've had it on my .243 precision chassis rifle for awhile, and it's going on my 6.5CM Savage actioned rifle I'm putting together now.  Ergonomically it's great for me, and it doesn't have boat anchor weight like some or the precision buttstocks...nor do you have to be on the Fortune 500 to afford one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avvidclif] [#25]
I picked up the black version of the same Howa in 6.5 Creedmor. Topped it with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST sitting in Leupold rings. I took it out Sat for the break-in shots, all 20, the way they say do it. The first 10 shots were shoot and clean, let cool. Do that 10 times. The last 10 were 2 shots spaced and clean barrel. Do that 5 times. Took my time and let it cool between shots. Rather than just poking holes in dirt I put up a sight-in target at 35 yds to give something to aim at. I'm not a rifle shooter but just getting started so have a lot of technique to learn. I didn't try to get the stock fitted, just shooting for break-in. Still when it put the 10 rounds in under a 1/2" hole I was pleased. Now to get serious and stretch it's legs out to 500 yds (max at range). The rangemaster tried it with his calibrated finger and said the trigger was between 2-2.5 lbs. No creep, like they say breaking glass. Now to get rid of this crud I've had for 2 weeks and see what it will do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
I'm sure you know but others may not: Some HCR models come with an EGW 20 MOA base.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avvidclif] [#27]
I bought one earlier (above) this month. I've been fighting pneumonia all month and haven't felt like doing anything but did get out 2 weeks ago and went thru the break-in procedure, exactly. What a PITA. Last Fri I felt good enough to get an idea what it might do. Windy and hot (95) at the range. Targets at 100 yds. Shooting Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP (It was cheap @$1 rnd). I fired 7 3-shot groups. The first 2 shots were touching, 2" high and 1" right. I adjusted the scope and the next was 2"h and 1/4" left. I left it alone after that(the wind was quartering from the right front ~10-15mph). The largest group was just under an inch (2 touching and a "gotcha", my fault). The rest were less than 5/8" down to the best at under 3/8", all three touching. My measuring is not correct in that I don't factor in bullet diameter etc. Just look at the target and compare to the 1" squares.

Considering all the factors, factory ammo, beginning precision rifle shooter(from 243 deer rifle at 100yds), and conditions I told myself "This dog will hunt". Now to tighten up the loose nut behind the stock, figure out how to mount it the same every time, etc. I have pictures but haven't figured it out yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I just picked up a Howa myself - couldn't pass up the $250 barreled action from PTG.  I went with a heavy barreled .223.  It's a short action, not mini action which is probably why it was so cheap.  I think I'm going to drop it into a Hogue full bed stock and use it as a varmint gun and something fun to shoot on the cheap at decently long ranges.  It's a 1:12 twist so won't be ideal for the match bullets but should still be fun to load some cheap 55gr for.  Since I'm trying to get by on the cheap for this gun but want a variable power scope for coyote hunting, I'm eyeing the Vortex diamondback tactical 4-12 for the scope.  Might just splurge for another Viper HST in 16 power though.  This is my first Howa so I'm hoping she's a shooter!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Chrazy-Chris:
I just picked up a Howa myself - couldn't pass up the $250 barreled action from PTG.  I went with a heavy barreled .223.  It's a short action, not mini action which is probably why it was so cheap.  I think I'm going to drop it into a Hogue full bed stock and use it as a varmint gun and something fun to shoot on the cheap at decently long ranges.  It's a 1:12 twist so won't be ideal for the match bullets but should still be fun to load some cheap 55gr for.  Since I'm trying to get by on the cheap for this gun but want a variable power scope for coyote hunting, I'm eyeing the Vortex diamondback tactical 4-12 for the scope.  Might just splurge for another Viper HST in 16 power though.  This is my first Howa so I'm hoping she's a shooter!
View Quote
My first Howa was the 223 short action.  Still have it.  Shoots 55gr VMax really well!  Longest confirmed prairie dog kill was at 540.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up mine in may in 6.5 creedmoor. Love it!  Shoots both 120gr and 140gr hornady match sub moa at 100. Played with many load combos and it really likes nosler 140 rdf's over IMR 4451 and fed 210 primers.  Also put on a vortex 4 x 16 hst. Setup is very good. Let us know how your setup does.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:

I like that Luth AR buttstock too.  I've had it on my .243 precision chassis rifle for awhile, and it's going on my 6.5CM Savage actioned rifle I'm putting together now.  Ergonomically it's great for me, and it doesn't have boat anchor weight like some or the precision buttstocks...nor do you have to be on the Fortune 500 to afford one.
View Quote
You can pick up a rail on Amazon ($35) that allows you to attach a monopod too. I love my LuthAR stock!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top