Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2017 2:47:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smarcus]
I want a 300 Win Mag Precision Bolt Action rifle because it is the most powerful cartridge I can shoot through my Silencerco Omega.  I figured it would be good to have something that could put a lot of Energy down range.  Why?  Dunno, just to scratch an itch I guess.

I already have a KAC SR25 ECC so If I want to shoot accurate 308 I can. I also have an 18 inch and 11 inch 6.5 Grendel along with various configurations of 5.56 AR’s.  My normal Gun Club is 100 yards but I go to a 550 yard range every few months.  Also, once or twice a year I go to South Carolina where we own 200 acres and do some hog hunting (11 inch Grendel usually).

So what do you think?

FO?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Caliber of the gods!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man. That's all I needed.  I'm foing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my Win Mag.  Defiance action, proof research barrel, surgeon bottom metal, Manners T2A stock and a Badger Mini FTE brake ( love that brake )   Topped off with my old leupold Mk4 6.5-20X.  

Dropped this lil guy at 453yds.   Never took a step.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with a 300.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Love a good 300 win mag. Accuracy is great and downrange energy is plentiful. A brake is a must in my opinion otherwise learning to shoot to its fullest potential while learning to manage the recoil would be an adventure of pain and sorrow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#6]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
I want a 300 Win Mag Precision Bolt Action rifle because it is the most powerful cartridge I can shoot through my Silencerco Omega.  I figured it would be good to have something that could put a lot of Energy down range.  Why?  Dunno, just to scratch an itch I guess.

I already have a KAC SR25 ECC so If I want to shoot accurate 308 I can. I also have an 18 inch and 11 inch 6.5 Grendel along with various configurations of 5.56 AR’s.  My normal Gun Club is 100 yards but I go to a 550 yard range every few months.  Also, once or twice a year I go to South Carolina where we own 200 acres and do some hog hunting (11 inch Grendel usually).

So what do you think?

FO?
View Quote

My go to deer rifle is a Winchester in 300 mag. It is the lightweight style with a wood stock and SS everything else. Shoots sub MOA all day long and leave a nasty blood trail. Very light kicker.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it!  I'm having LRI build me a barreled action in 300wm right now for an upcoming elk hunt. Can't wait to start shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#8]
FO. Love the 300WM, can step up to 230gr VLD's and get 338LM ballistics or just run the "cheap" stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather have a 300 Norma, but thats a a different bolt face. 
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure to get a good barrel length and twist rate. Shortest I'd go is 26".
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose to build a 300wm over a 338lapua... have not regretted it yet.

Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Any reason not to use a factory 700 action ?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: great308] [#14]
A trued 700 action can do anything accuracy wise that a custom action can do. You get allot of cool features with a custom action that would cost about the same as a trued 700 action that they put all the cool feature in. With that said I have a factory 700p in 308 that has not been trued and holds 1/2 moa to a 1000 with the right ammo and if i do my part.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:42:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hk33] [#15]
It seems like you like to spend money.

You should definitely get an accuracy international axmc with tangent theta scope.

Also make sure to get the barrel cut back to 18 as it's much more tactical than the 26 factory barrel.

You will never see the difference at ranges you shoot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
It seems like you like to spend money.

You should definitely get an accuracy international axmc with tangent theta scope.

Also make sure to get the barrel cut back to 18 as it's much more tactical than the 26 factory barrel.

You will never see the difference at ranges you shoot.
View Quote
Thanks for that well thought out reply.  Unfortunately my Omega will only tolerate a 20 inch 300WM so 18 inches is out of the question........
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
well cut the barrel to 20.

well you really didnt say anything in you original post.

it was equivalent to i want a 300wm, because "murrica". i have an ecc. never really shot long range nor have acess where a 300wm shines.

here is a post from lowlight on

In the context of a new shooter who wants to learn Long Range Shooting, with a focus on Precision and Accuracy, a magnum is a not a good first choice.

You see a lot of guys, and many will come to my classes, who bought the Savage 338LM as a first precision rifle and they clearly struggle. It's always the case where I have to get behind the gun and shoot it because their results do not match up to the rest of the class. There is more to a 338 than just dropping in behind it and pressing the trigger.

The recoil is too much for a new shooter, it's not that a 338 is a bad precision cartridge, it's people. It's an advanced cartridge, it's not meant for new shooters.

Personally I like the recoil of a 338 over most 300WMs, the WinMags tend to snap and the 338LM pushes. Then again you have to look at the brakes being used. A good brake and double ear protection can make a night and day difference in a new shooter's experience. But accuracy is not the issue, recoil is, and how you manage it matters. I highly doubt you can comparing having fired a 50 to getting precision out of a magnum. It's like saying you have started a NASCAR and drove it to the garage so you are capable of running it in a NASCAR race.

This is the same or at least similar arguments for guys who can shoot an AR15 and then move to a AR10 and can't hit shit accurately blaming the guns. Nobody double taps the trigger on a AR15 but you see complaints of AR10 triggers all the time as the shooters under estimate the recoil and will double tap with a AR10. The AR10 is a different animal that will exploit your failed fundamentals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smarcus] [#18]
I can see how my post came off that way.  I assembled a 30/06 a while back that I have been shooting.  A Grayboe a/5 style stock with a 700 LR barreled action cut to 22 inch and re crowned and threaded.  A Timney Calvin Elite flat trigger, MK4 20 moa base with MK4 34mm rings and a Burris XTR2 3-15 and Harris bipod.  

I shot the MOA All Day challenge with 168 fgm factory ammo and I was around .88 MOA according to the rules.

The 06 has been great but  I was thinking if I was going to be in a long action maybe I would move to a 300wm which would further differentiate it from the other rifles I own.  That's all.

Rifle:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#19]
MOA ALL DAY TARGET

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
MOA ALL DAY TARGET

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/IMG-0025-214419.JPG
View Quote
Factory barrel ? Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:

Factory barrel ? Nice shooting.
View Quote
Yes.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Family got me a savage stealth ba in 300 win for xmas, cant say enough good things about the rifle or the cartridge. Hornady 200 and 208 grain eld's over some reloader 22 are pretty magical.

Friend was shooting his 6.5 creedmore at 500 yards knocking a piece of steel around pretty good... wife jumped behind the 300 and knocked the steel over stand and all..
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sdc360:
Family got me a savage stealth ba in 300 win for xmas, cant say enough good things about the rifle or the cartridge. Hornady 200 and 208 grain eld's over some reloader 22 are pretty magical.

Friend was shooting his 6.5 creedmore at 500 yards knocking a piece of steel around pretty good... wife jumped behind the 300 and knocked the steel over stand and all..
View Quote
Bet she had a big shit eating grin knocking it over. Did she make any comments to the other guy or just show that evil grin?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

Bet she had a big shit eating grin knocking it over. Did she make any comments to the other guy or just show that evil grin?
View Quote
Nope, she just laughed and said "I like this rifle".

Funny, she's a pretty accomplished shot and will shoot with us guys all day without her competitive side coming out. She refuses to lose to another lady though lol.

She had the RO's at a 3 gun match rolling a couple years ago. She had to lay down prone for some rifle work and got covered in dirt. She stood up and the RO commented that he was sorry she had to get all dirty, she responded "It's ok, my husband likes dirty girls". He was all...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#25]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I'd rather have a 300 Norma, but thats a a different bolt face. 
View Quote
I keep going back and forth on a .300WM or .300 Norma.  If I end up buying an adjacent 80 acres I'll have an 1100 yard range and will make a decision then.  

I've shot a few .300 WM's, from sporter weight to 26" heavies and weight really helps soak up the recoil.  A heavy .300 kicks about like a lighter .308, but everyone is different when it comes to recoil.  

Any of the bigger rounds you end up spending quite a bit on reloading gear, so factor that in as well.  You could survive on .308 match loads, not so much .300 WM factory ammo, although soft point hunting rounds are nice for barrel break in and getting a supply of once fired brass.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Win mag rocks...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#27]
My old GAP 300 win mag was a laser...unfortunately, it was overkill (no pun intended) as, I don't hunt or, reload. Sold it to fund another AI in 6.5 Creedmoor which is much easier on the wallet and more fun to shoot for extended range time. After a while, the 300 will get your shoulder a little sore.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Funny, she's a pretty accomplished shot and will shoot with us guys all day without her competitive side coming out. She refuses to lose to another lady though lol.

She had the RO's at a 3 gun match rolling a couple years ago. She had to lay down prone for some rifle work and got covered in dirt. She stood up and the RO commented that he was sorry she had to get all dirty, she responded "It's ok, my husband likes dirty girls". He was all...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

Sounds like you have an awesome wife! Tell her kudos from me for knocking that stand down. Count yourself lucky to have a wife that enjoys the sport with you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have load advice for 300wm ? i built a MK13 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
Does anyone have load advice for 300wm ? i built a MK13 and never looked back.
View Quote
I'm using 73 grains of reloader 22 under a 200 grain hornady eld-x bullet with cci magnum primers in win brass and getting about 1/2 moa results out of my savage stealth. I'm thinking its at the top of the pressure curve so I'm going to back down to 72 grains my next loading. I don't think reloader 22 is very temperature sensitive but with the warmer months coming up I figure better safe than sorry.

The 208 "match" rounds weren't in stock at my local shop when I picked up the 200 grain expanders. I might try some down the road but results are results.

I'm pretty impressed with the eld's, wind drift has been far less than what straylok predicted, shooting yesterday I was getting about 3 inches of drift at 300 yards with a solid 10-15 mph cross wind.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a .300. Im considering dumping it and rebarreling to 7mm Practical. If you do decide on the .30 cal, then make sure you get it in 9 twist so you can fly the crazy high bc bullets that are popping up if you choose.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
thanks. have you tried H1000 ? i have some Hornady 208 AMAX. i think they are 208 gr.
havent loaded them yet.

I'm using 73 grains of reloader 22 under a 200 grain hornady eld-x bullet with cci magnum primers in win brass and getting about 1/2 moa results out of my savage stealth. I'm thinking its at the top of the pressure curve so I'm going to back down to 72 grains my next loading. I don't think reloader 22 is very temperature sensitive but with the warmer months coming up I figure better safe than sorry.

The 208 "match" rounds weren't in stock at my local shop when I picked up the 200 grain expanders. I might try some down the road but results are results.

I'm pretty impressed with the eld's, wind drift has been far less than what straylok predicted, shooting yesterday I was getting about 3 inches of drift at 300 yards with a solid 10-15 mph cross wind.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#34]
That is one sexy rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
thanks. have you tried H1000 ? i have some Hornady 208 AMAX. i think they are 208 gr.
havent loaded them yet.
View Quote
I have not, I started with r22 and was pretty happy with the results so I haven't experimented with other powders. Don't worry about buying a pound to experiment with you only get about 100 loads per pound, 300wm eats powder like a fat kid at a buffet, you wont be wasting any lol.

Interesting side note, my friend recently attended a long range class and the instructor was showing the group how his rifle shot 1.5 moa at 100 yards but shot .5 moa at 500. Guess the longer eld and match type bullets take a while to "settle" in flight and actually shoot better at longer ranges than at 100. I moved to testing for accuracy at 300 and 500 instead of my old stand by of a 3 or 5 shot group at 100 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top