Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 5:52:03 PM EDT
I recently picked up a McMillian A4 stock for my FN rifle.  I purchased new bottom metal and sent it off to have the stock inletted and the bottom metal installed.  I recently got it back and upon inspection noticed that the rear of the receiver is bent.  It looks like it was probably dropped, pictures below, but that said, how will this impact the rifle.  Do I need to try to have it repaired and if so how would I go about getting it repaired?

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They fucked up by not acknowledging that in the first place.    I hate that bs, I had an expensive part dropped and got the shop to own up to it and fix it.

That said, it really should have no impact on the finished product.   I would be pissed though.   You should name the place, that is BS.

And first off , contact them.  They have no business letting that happen and trying to hide it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good, put it together and shoot
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Send those pics to the shop that did it.  That is Shit work and you could clean it up with a file.  I would not give those hacks another bit of business.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By headstoner:
Looks good, put it together and shoot
View Quote
They dropped it right on the tang.  It will probably work fine, but wtf.

It is minor damage, but he did not pay for minor damage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Before I go off on a rant, are you sure it was not like that from the factory?  Did you pack it well?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Before I go off on a rant, are you sure it was not like that from the factory?  Did you pack it well?
View Quote
I know it wasn't that way from the factory.  I did package it well, but it was shipped disassembled from the stock, so damage in shipping is a possibility.  I guess my biggest thing is, that even if it was damaged in shipping, why wouldn't you call the customer, it's not like you wouldn't notice the damage during assembly.  I intend to give them a chance to make it right, but wasn't even sure what I was looking at.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
It got slammed on the tang at some point.  If you packed it well it either happened at the shop or in shipping back to you.

Pretty minor damage, but still a box of wtf.  That really smacks of shipping damage though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
File it down and have it cerakoted on their dime. I'd send pictures and see if they if it was damaged while they had it. Either way I'd file it and cerakote it, call it done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen this before on an FN action. I want to say on Scout. Did you buy this action new or used?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
will the action even torque down with it like that?
View Quote
They were able to assemble it.  I didn't notice the damage until I took it apart to look at bedding it.  It does put pressure on the tang when torqued down., what impact that has I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
I've seen this before on an FN action. I want to say on Scout. Did you buy this action new or used?
View Quote
I purchased it as a new complete rifle.  It originally came with one of the houge overmold stocks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lunchbox27] [#15]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Just dremel it flat, bed the action and shoot it. You are worrying about this way too much. It's not that big of a deal where it is. Not like it's the rifle crown.
View Quote
Agreed.  I would put it back together after filing it down and shoot it.  I seriously doubt this will impact the rifles accuracy.  I too have an FN SPR.  It has its dings and such.  It can take a beating.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lunchbox27:
Agreed.  I would put it back together after filing it down and shoot it.  I seriously doubt this will impact the rifles accuracy.  I too have an FN SPR.  It has its dings and such.  It can take a beating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lunchbox27:
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Just dremel it flat, bed the action and shoot it. You are worrying about this way too much. It's not that big of a deal where it is. Not like it's the rifle crown.
I would have this problem solved in minutes.

It does suck that they didn't clean up after themselves, but not a huge deal.

File, polish maybe, Oxpho blue, done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Not something you expect to get back but you could have fixed it in less time than it took to write your post. Let whoever did it know about it though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone, it's fixed.

For what its worth, the vendor did offer to repair, but I didn't feel like shipping it again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good as new.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HammerliShooter:
Thanks everyone, it's fixed.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/prairiesnpr/A__8511.jpg

For what its worth, the vendor did offer to repair, but I didn't feel like shipping it again.
View Quote
Wow. Looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]
From a business owner stained point, I would want to know if one of my guys did this.

From a consumer stained point, I'd fix it and move on with my day.

You did a very fine job of repairing that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mathecb:
Looks good as new.
View Quote
Indeed.  Damn good job!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Good job on the receiver fix. Does it cover the dent in the stock that was made by the bent edge?

I have had similar experiences with every gun I have had "in the shop". Careless fuckers with a shop doing sloppy work exist in all trades. I have some work I want done now on 2 rifles. I just can't bring myself to initiate the process. I am damn sure that I am going to get the tools to put new Remage barrels on my 700's. I still want the actions "trued up", "blueprinted", "squared" or whatever prior to doing the barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top