Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
Trying to decide between a Tikka t3 CTR, Savage 10 FCP. Looking for something with a 20-24" barrel. I'd like to shoot up to 1,000 yards at some point, but realistically that won't happen for a while. Longest range by me is 500 yards, so that would probably be the range I would shoot at. Which gun is more accurate out of the box? I have a savage 12 in .223 that will shoot 5 shot 1 hole groups at 100 yards, so I have been leaning toward getting the Savage 10. I recently handled both at a gun shop, and the action on the Tikka definitely feels smoother. I realize the Savage will have a far larger aftermarket parts, but is the Tikka good enough out of the box to make it worth the extra $400 over the Savage? Right now savage has a $100 mail in rebate, so I can buy one for $450 compared to the Tikka being $800-1000 depending on where I look. For that extra money, I could get a nice scope or stock, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with the savage and if there's a reason it's so cheap?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#1]
I am a huge Savage fan. Have several and they are all at least moa guns. So right off the bat I'm biased to that brand but have heard nothing but exceptional things about Tikka as well

What caliber? Do you hand load?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my distributors called me offering the Savage for $450 with the 24" threaded barrel and around $465 for the 20" variant. That's a ridiculous price point!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be shooting .308, and I do reload. Was thinking about 6.5 Creedmoor but like the availability of mil surplus .308 for cheaper practice as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Savage model 12 LRP but then I got a CTR like it so much more Got another CTR in 6.5 and put the savage back in the safe and has not come out since.

Between Savage and Tikka   The Answer is Tikka by a mile this coming from some one that has both.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Tikka is a far far better gun then a savage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#6]
This is an easy one....Buy the Tikka and don't look back! MUCH better rifle!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a few Savage rifles over the years and never had a problem with them, they were mainly hunting rifles. I got my first Tikka a few months ago and I'll be adding a few more to the collection very soon.

The Tikka beats Remington and Savage by a long shot. If you look at them at the gun store and just work the bolt you will be able to tell the difference. The Tikka is silky smooth where most other off the shelf rifles are not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Tikka is a better rifle, with better action machining which will make it feel and feed smoother. But man that Savage is a tough value to beat, especially if 500 is your limit.

That's a coin flip, but you will feel like you have the better rifle if you get the Tikka. Also, aftermarket for the Tikka isn't too shabby. AI is taking about releasing a drop in chassis for the Tikka action, you can get aftermarket triggers and barrels and there are solid 20 MOA mount options. It is not an obscure rifle by any means.

I really think those Sterk AI-style bolt handles look neat.

(Reposting a pic from Sterk's Facebook page). Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on feel alone, I would agree that the tikka feels like a far higher quality gun, which is understandable with the price being almost twice as much. In terms of accuracy, is there much difference? Also, using some of the extra $400 you save getting the savage to buy a McMillan would it be a better shooter? My overall budget is around $1,000, and I would like to keep a good amount left for a good scope, which is why I was leaning toward the Savage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By savage_110e:
Based on feel alone, I would agree that the tikka feels like a far higher quality gun, which is understandable with the price being almost twice as much. In terms of accuracy, is there much difference? Also, using some of the extra $400 you save getting the savage to buy a McMillan would it be a better shooter? My overall budget is around $1,000, and I would like to keep a good amount left for a good scope, which is why I was leaning toward the Savage.
View Quote
Judging from your user name you might be slightly biased. Everything about the tikka is better. They have a better action, barrel etc. Can you make a savage work? Sure but it's still a savage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a professional shooter by no means but I just bought my first tikka a couple months ago and it is the bee's knees. As far as aftermarket, not much is left to be desired on my tikka. Maybe a stock and trigger down the road. But it shoots lights out as is
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#13]
Tikka accuracy is unquestioned, but then again, Savage is also known for fantastic accuracy at a great price. At 500 yards, I'm not sure you will be able to discern a difference purely by accuracy.

Do you intend to shoot PRS? Any other sport where you need to work the action smoothly and effectively? Or will it be bench/prone slow fire only?

There's no wrong answer to your question. I perceive more guys go for the Savage. It is a great value. If you intend to own the rifle a while and want a nicer action, you know which way to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#14]
With the new t3x ctr you might no even need to replace the stock, and once I bought my first Tikka I have not even looked at a different brand other than a Sako.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CoffeeRocks:
With the new t3x ctr you might no even need to replace the stock, and once I bought my first Tikka I have not even looked at a different brand other than a Sako.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Tikka!  Hands down.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RePp:
Tikka is a far far better gun then a savage.
View Quote
Yes. Far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Judging from your user name you might be slightly biased. Everything about the tikka is better. They have a better action, barrel etc. Can you make a savage work? Sure but it's still a savage.
View Quote
Haha, first gun I ever bought was a Savage 110 in .30-06 and I love it. May be slightly biased towards savage, yes, but really liked the Tikka. One of, if not the best guns I've ever handled. Just didn't know if it was worth justifying paying twice as much for it if the accuracy wasn't going to be significantly better with the Tikka.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My other thought was to buy a Howa Barrreled action from Brownells.com then find a good stock for it. Has anyone done this and have any opinion on whether or not it is worth doing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
You won't find a better price for the CTR than this anywhere.

The Tikka is worth $800 all day long over the Savage and I have owned both.  I have the T3 and paid more than the above T3x is currently.

Honestly, if I could only keep either my CTR or my AIAT I would probably keep the CTR.  The T3x stock is very nice as it comes and I bought a takeoff T3x stock and mag for my rifle as I like the vertical grip.   It will be staying in that stock and is my utility rifle.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#21]
currently have the 24inch Howa Heavy Barrel action new 6.5 have not fired yet.
Bell and Carlson Stock on order.
Craftsmen ship on Howa is awesome and bolt is clean and crisp, trigger is great for factory.
I have to say Howa blows Remington out of the water!!!!
Tikka I am not sure of I don't own one so I wont compare there
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

This was my best 4 shot group with factory Hornady match ammo in a Tikka t3x ctr 6.5 creedmoor at 100 yards. 

Attachment Attached File

This was my worse 4 shot group with factory Hornady match ammo. First box of ammo that I ran through the rifle. Shot a box of 143 gr eld-x after and couldn't get better than 1.5 moa with it. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a savage fcp-sr in 308 on sale and got the rebate a few months ago. It shot Ok it was a one moa at best gun. My issue was the Dam magazine, it would Pop out when fired usually upon firing the first shot and had feeding issues. So off it went.... in its place o got a Bergara HMR in 308, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Since then I picked a Tilkka .223 varmiter and it is in a whole different league than the savage. The action is super smoth, the finish is fantastic, the trigger is Great and the stock is better. So I definitely say Go with Tikka.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top