Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2017 3:29:26 PM EDT
So I have an RPR in .308 and I like it.  I want to put a .260 Remington barrel on it.  I've found several in the $500 range.  I'm looking for 22-24" 1-8 twist, ideally black and threaded.

I'd like to hear you barrel recommendations and reasoning.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:09:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71] [#1]
I'm interested in this as well. Don't the 6.5 and .260 both use 6.5 pills?  If so, is it possible to ream/rechamber a 6.5 creedmoor barrel to .260 rem?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Columbia River Arms, formerly Black Hole Weaponry. Polygonal rifling, fantastic barrels, fantastic service, fast shipping, low prices.

I use their pipes exclusively for all of my match rifles.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Columbia River Arms, formerly Black Hole Weaponry. Polygonal rifling, fantastic barrels, fantastic service, fast shipping, low prices.

I use their pipes exclusively for all of my match rifles.
View Quote
I lot of folks have had good luck with BHW, but I have not.  I bought 2 barrels from them and had to send both back for one reason or another.  Maybe it's just my bad luck...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Patriot Valley Arms

PVA offers RPR barrels in .260 for $600.  I can't vouch for PVA's work, but I hear goods things about them.

$700 if you want LongRifles Inc to spin one up for you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Based on the communication with Josh at PVA today - I'm going with him for my Barrel (in 6.5 though).

He's got .260 listed and has been extremely helpful in answering questions.

Another company wasn't as responsive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545Fan] [#7]
Yeah, I'm asking for people's recommendations for a drop in replacement for a gen 2 RPR.  I'm not interested in a local smith turning a barrel for me.  I'm hoping I'm not the first to do this or something similar.

Barrels I am considering:
Criterion Barrels
Proof Research (stainless - can't afford the carbon fiber right now)
Long Rifles Inc.
Patriot Valley Arms
Snipe Custom Arms

Who else should I consider?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By newbie_nick:

I lot of folks have had good luck with BHW, but I have not.  I bought 2 barrels from them and had to send both back for one reason or another.  Maybe it's just my bad luck...
View Quote
I know of a handful of people who have had issues with their barrels.  The ones that are made right shoot well, but it isn't worth the headache.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget about Long Rifles, Inc. in Sturgis. He's offering RPR prefits in common calibers for 575.00, will do a custom for 675.00.  Chad has a long history of building exceptional rifles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My LRI barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor is excellent and I had a short turnaround time. That said I doubt you could go wrong with PVA or Criterion either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
PVA is my vote, i havent used many builders but know josh personally and hes done work for me. Big bonus hes local to me
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
My LRI barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor is excellent and I had a short turnaround time. That said I doubt you could go wrong with PVA or Criterion either.
View Quote
LRI will get my money everytime. They know what they are doing to the point its pure art with a RPR.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]
LRI.

Call Chad and discuss your wishes.  He will have it to you quickly.  Good people out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
PVA is my vote, i havent used many builders but know josh personally and hes done work for me. Big bonus hes local to me
View Quote
Find out what his lead time is on a 20" 6.5 barrel for me.

Forgot to ask when I ordered.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View Quote
Im shooting a match with him on sunday ill find out.  LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Seriously? That would be awesome as I'm killing my factory barrel and the slow death of fps loss is killing me.

I ordered a 20.75" RPR barrel in 6.5
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for LRI.

FWIW - I sold my RPR Gen 1 (which I loved) and bought a  Mausingfield M5 in 308 from Chad at LRI.  He used a K&P barrel and it shoots lights out.  I'm on a .260 kick right now, so I sent the barreled action back to be rebarreled using my supplied Krieger.  They received it today and I'll be speaking with Chad or Quentin tomorrow about which 260 reamer will be best for my rifle / loads. They will cut the chamber, cut to length (24"), crown, thread for a suppressor, time the brake, Cerakote, mate to the action and then test fire. LRI told me I could have the action back next week if they could pull off the Cerakoting quickly.  Fingers crossed...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top