User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 4/8/2017 8:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard]

Here's the rundown:

Bergara B-14 HMR .308
Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 x 50 FFP MIL/MIL
Gemtech GMT300-WM suppressor (now called the "Dagger")
Burris XTR rings
EGW 20 MOA base

Ammo: 168 gr. PPU Match, 168 gr. PMC Match, 168 gr. FGMM, and 175 gr. FGMM (fired in 5-shot groups)
Rest: Improvised off the bench
Distance: 100 yds
Conditions: 5 mph wind, fired groups quickly through suppressor's heat mirage (I was in a hurry)

This is my first precision rifle, and I am very happy with this setup.  The smallest group (PMC, top right-hand corner) came in at just a hair under 3/4 inch (center-to-center of farthest shots).  Several of the FGMM groups hovered at 0.9 inch.  The last group was the 175 gr. FGMM on the bottom, and I believe the shot that threw the group off was caused by mirage.  This was just a zeroing session; I'm looking forward to some slower shooting to see what this thing can really do.

Edit with new range trip (4/22/17):

I took the rifle to 100 yds again, this time with front and rear bags, rather than rolled up towels.  I was very pleased with the results from FGMM 175 gr.  I had one group just a hair under 0.8 inches, and the best one came in at a bit over 0.5 inches:

0.797" group:

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting.  It will be interesting to see what the gun will do with a few more rounds through it.  Are you going to work up a hand load?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, your username is appropriate for that rifle.

Love my 6.5, great rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you break in the barrel like the manual said, or just start shooting?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
Very interesting.  It will be interesting to see what the gun will do with a few more rounds through it.  Are you going to work up a hand load?
View Quote
Not in the immediate future. Maybe a ways down the road if I ever get set up for reloading.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Degs:
View Quote
Just started shooting. Shot 2 sighters and then 50 more rounds in groups. I did, however, clean the bore when I got home, so I guess I did part of their recommended break in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Per Bergara, break-in is not necessary.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gadsden1776:

Per Bergara, break-in is not necessary.
View Quote
Well in the manual for my HMR  it gives a break in procedure. That's why I'm asking if he did it. I don't really want to spend a day doing that if it's a waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Well in the manual for my HMR  it gives a break in procedure. That's why I'm asking if he did it. I don't really want to spend a day doing that if it's a waste of time.
View Quote
They give a procedure if you want to do it, but explain that due to the polished finish of the bore surface, it's not necessary.  They just know some people are weird about it, so they give you the option.  Look at their website.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
where did you purchase this fine rifle?
View Quote
GunBroker, but if I were looking now, I'd go with Hinterland Outfitters in Houston. They had it in stock for $879 last I checked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you like the stock and how's the factory trigger? 
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Schmeck:
How do you like the stock and how's the factory trigger? 
View Quote
The stock is great. Comb height adjustments are very easy and fairly repeatable (using visual index of witness lines on the posts). It's also pretty rigid with lots of clearance for the barrel. Certainly no chance of contact with the barrel under normal use, even with a suppressor hanging off the end. I like the pattern, and the surface has a bit of a textured feel. The multiple QD and sling swivel attachment points are awesome.

The trigger is excellent. A tiny bit more travel than I would prefer, but there's virtually no take-up and it breaks like glass at about 3 lbs (my guess). I don't see any reason to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheSpaniard:

The stock is great. Comb height adjustments are very easy and fairly repeatable (using visual index of witness lines on the posts). It's also pretty rigid with lots of clearance for the barrel. Certainly no chance of contact with the barrel under normal use, even with a suppressor hanging off the end. I like the pattern, and the surface has a bit of a textured feel. The multiple QD and sling swivel attachment points are awesome.

The trigger is excellent. A tiny bit more travel than I would prefer, but there's virtually no take-up and it breaks like glass at about 3 lbs (my guess). I don't see any reason to replace it.
View Quote
Does it at all feel "plasticy"?  I mean, versus something like a composite stock?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By scott69916:

Does it at all feel "plasticy"?  I mean, versus something like a composite stock?
View Quote
It feels very high quality. The texturing helps. I think they are using some type of plastic, but it's hard and thick enough that, combined with the outer texturing, it does not at all feel cheap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the report Spaniard. I've been looking at both the HMR and the BMP,  I'll probably end up with the BMP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been kicking over buying one for a week or two now, I finally pulled the trigger. For the money, it seems like its pretty much turn key for an entry precision rifle. Hopefully its as good as I've heard they are...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ccollins02:
I've been kicking over buying one for a week or two now, I finally pulled the trigger. For the money, it seems like its pretty much turn key for an entry precision rifle. Hopefully its as good as I've heard they are...
View Quote
6.5 or .308? and please let us know how it does. 
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ccollins02] [#19]
Originally Posted By Schmeck:
6.5 or .308? and please let us know how it does.
View Quote
Will do, I'm anxious to see myself. I went with the .308, I have some other rifles in that caliber and have no immediate plans to reload...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
How about magazines? I see it comes with one mag, have you tried any other mags in it? I was wondering about the Magpul Aics mags how they feed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
My plan is to sell my RPR and buy this to replace it.

The RPR is a great rifle, but I like the look of a "traditional" stocked rifle better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kittyhawk:
How about magazines? I see it comes with one mag, have you tried any other mags in it? I was wondering about the Magpul Aics mags how they feed.
View Quote
They are using magpul oem bottom "metal" and it comes with a magpul mag
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Crazyhorse26:
My plan is to sell my RPR and buy this to replace it.

The RPR is a great rifle, but I like the look of a "traditional" stocked rifle better.
View Quote
Get both!

I love the rpr as I can swap barrels myself and not have to send it off. Being in 6.5CM and my bank depleting shooting cycles it's now worth it.

Been looking at these to have a second gun in .308 - but with a grendel as well I'm trying to figure out its place.

OP - can you shoot some ball ammo through it and see what it does? If I can get M80 or similar to hold on a 6" plate at 500y I might just jump.

What's the recoil impulse like on it? I've shot some lighter .308's that are not pleasant after 30+ rounds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Get both!

I love the rpr as I can swap barrels myself and not have to send it off. Being in 6.5CM and my bank depleting shooting cycles it's now worth it.

Been looking at these to have a second gun in .308 - but with a grendel as well I'm trying to figure out its place.

OP - can you shoot some ball ammo through it and see what it does? If I can get M80 or similar to hold on a 6" plate at 500y I might just jump.

What's the recoil impulse like on it? I've shot some lighter .308's that are not pleasant after 30+ rounds.
View Quote
No immediate plans to shoot ball ammo; I just ordered 200 rds of 175 gr. FGMM, and the ammo piggy bank is empty!

I shot only with the suppressor. Recoil impulse was pleasant. 52 rounds in a session was no problem. I could have shot all day! The butt pad is well cushioned, and the total system weight is high enough that even without the recoil pad, recoil would not be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#25]
That rifle is just plain HOT!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:25:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#26]
View Quote
Any AICS pattern mags should work. The Magpul it came with feeds very smoothly. No complaints. Probably will pick up a Magpul ten rounder at some point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]

No immediate plans to shoot ball ammo; I just ordered 200 rds of 175 gr. FGMM, and the ammo piggy bank is empty!

I shot only with the suppressor. Recoil impulse was pleasant. 52 rounds in a session was no problem. I could have shot all day! The butt pad is well cushioned, and the total system weight is high enough that even without the recoil pad, recoil would not be an issue.
View Quote
Good stuff. I've got brakes I could put on one.

What scope base did you use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Good stuff. I've got brakes I could put on one.

What scope base did you use?
View Quote
EGW 20 MOA.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread is going to cost me $$$!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#30]
With no future mods planned is this a better buy than a tikka ctr?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
With no future mods planned is this a better buy than a tikka ctr?
View Quote
I've been monitoring the precision rifle market since Ruger announced the RPR, with an eye toward purchasing a turn-key, out-of-the-box, ready-to-roll rifle (but at a reasonable price point). I considered all the entry-level options---Savage, Ruger RPR, Tikka, Howa, etc. I concluded that the Bergara HMR was the best buy. Others may reach a different conclusion, but that's my opinion and it's why I ended up going the HMR route.

With respect to the Tikka in particular, the HMR is a better buy because it has a full-length bedding block / "mini chassis" and an adjustable comb, and it's fully compatible with Remington 700 accessories, including AI pattern mags (as opposed to Tikka's expensive, proprietary mags).
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my RPR, but that Bergara is a heck of a lot of rifle for the money.

If I was buying again I still think I'd go RPR just for the ability to do my own barrel changes, but under $900 for a precision rifle that's ready to go with no mods from factory is darn hard to beat. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Guess I'll get one in .308 to compliment the rpr in 6.5
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#34]
So far Hinterland outfitters has the 308 in stock and the best price I've found at $871.22 with $9.99 flat rate shipping. Bad thing with them for me is I'm stuck with sales tax here in TX.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#35]
So far Hinterland outfitters has the 308 in stock and the best price I've found at $871.22 with $9.99 flat rate shipping. Bad thing with them for me is I'm stuck with sales tax here in TX.
View Quote
If you're looking for 308, Gun Pro Deals has in stock for $833, Centerfire Guns has in stock for $853, and Tombstone Tactical has in stock for $857.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank for the info, yes I'm looking for a 308, I've got. RPR gen II in 6.5
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]

If you're looking for 308, Gun Pro Deals has in stock for $833, Centerfire Guns has in stock for $853, and Tombstone Tactical has in stock for $857.
View Quote
I ordered mine from Tombstone last week. Things went smoothly, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. Should be picking it up today and have some kind of report for you guys this weekend....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ccollins02:

I ordered mine from Tombstone last week. Things went smoothly, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. Should be picking it up today and have some kind of report for you guys this weekend....
View Quote
Good deal. Please do post a report! Perhaps we can make this the official Bergara HMR thread? That Ruger Precision Rifle thread needs some competition!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I get mine in 6.5 creedmoor next week. I've had the B-14 hunter in the same chambering for a few months now and I've been tickled with it. I've been anxious to get my hands on an HMR for a few months now and I have no doubt that I'll be impressed. I've got a Weaver tactical 4-20 and a Sig Tango 4 6-24 that need a home. I just need to decide which one will go on it. I like the glass in the Weaver but the reticle in the Sig. Tough choice....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Wondering how this will stack up against the CTR?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#41]
arrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

I can hear LRRP52 and Ranger556 hispering in my ear, "SIX POINT FIVE!  SIX POINT FIVE!!!  DO IT!!!!  DOOOOO IIIITTTTTT!"

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Should pick mine up in 6.5 early next week.  Have a box of 200 rounds from Prime inbound at the same time.  Looking forward to shooting next weekend!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#43]
So I picked mine up yesterday and got her out to the range today. I figured I would share my experiences and opinion on the rifle. First off, I am extremely happy with the fit and finish of it, as well as the performance. If someone told me this was a sub $900 gun, I wouldn't believe them. Everything seems of good quality and is put together really well. The stock is very solid and extremely ergonomic. The trigger is excellent in my opinion, better than the accu-trigger that I've been accustomed to. It has a very short travel, with minimal take up and a super crisp break (I would estimate it at 3 lbs. ish). For people on the fence about purchasing one, I would not hesitate. For the money, I don't think they can be beat and are practically turn key for an entry level precision rifle.

As far as range time goes, I didnt have as much time as I had wanted to get some rounds down range. However, what I was able to do left me plenty happy. I followed a minor barrel break in, got on paper and zeroed for 168 gr. Federal GMM. Once I did that I had just enough time to shoot a few groups. Here are the three that followed, I was quite happy with them except for the flyer...

My setup...

B-14 HMR .308
Seekins 20 MOA Remington 700 base
Warne 30mm Rings
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x
Surefire Procomp 762
Harris 6-9 Bipod

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#44]
Great looking rifle!  Looks like today was HMR range day for both of us.  I just updated the OP with the following:

I took the rifle to 100 yds again, this time with front and rear bags, rather than rolled up towels.  I was very pleased with the results from FGMM 175 gr.  I had one group just a hair under 0.8 inches, and the best one came in at a bit over 0.5 inches:

0.797" group:

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
God, I hate this thread!

NOT BUYING ANOTHER DAMN GUN
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Dammit boys, I've been on the fence for a new rifle for a while. I've got. RPR in 6.5 and lots that stupid thing, it's as accurate as the day is long but I've been wanting a Good 308 that's based on a Rifle Stock not a chassie that takes good mags. I picked up a Savage Fcr sr and found it was a decent rifle at best. I found the stock is lacking and had issues with the mags. So I sold it and was dead set on a Tikka Ctr 308. Then Bergara surprised us with the HMR and it's been like that song you can't get out of your head, ever time I got to buy a tikka I keep hearing Bergara, Bergara deep inside. So I've been holding off hopping to find one in the wild and get a chance to finger fuck it before buying. Then I find this thread and Dammit I placed my order last night. So I hope your happy with your selves!!! Because I Am....
On a side note how's the Athlon Argos BTR stack up to other scopes on its price range? All I have now is Weaver Tactical 2.5/10/40 FFP mil/mil to top it with.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#47]
What's the trigger pull like?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:43:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kittyhawk] [#48]
Also dumb question, is it a long or short action, Adl or Bbl? I'm not familiar with remengton actions. I'm looking at the Leupold Mk4 base to match my Mk 4 rings.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#49]
Originally Posted By Tsetse:
What's the trigger pull like?
View Quote
No take-up, breaks clean around 3 lbs (more like glass than a carrot), pretty short travel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Also dumb question, is it a long or short action, Adl or Bbl? I'm not familiar with remengton actions. I'm looking at the Leupold Mk4 base to match my Mk 4 rings.
View Quote
Short action. Don't know the difference between adl and bbl. My EGW Remington 700 short action base was a perfect fit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top