Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2017 1:05:59 PM EDT
After shooting several slightly modified R700's in 308 for years, I'm ready to finally step it up and start shooting beyond 400 yards. I just sold my SPS Tactical that would regularly group 1/2" @ 100.  I'm a bit reluctant to just get another factory rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and assume the best.

I'm really not interested in trying to run down a RPR Gen2. ive been researching the hell out of this topic and I feel there may be better options for ME. Not here to knock the RPR in any way. It's just not on my short list.

Also, I need to point out that accuracy potential is the most important factor here. I do not reload. I rely on factory match ammo, such as Prime and Copper Creek.

The first one that caught my attention was the new Tikka T3X TAC A1. No serious reviews out there that I can find yet and it retails for about $1800. With Tikka's reputation, it very well may be worth every penny of $1800. I won't be ready to buy till early summer so maybe they will show up by then.

Then the Bergara BMP B-14. It can be had for $1300 and seems to have a few amazing reviews, but not a lot of info out there other than they make excellent barrels. This is a very intriguing option.

I know Winchester is releasing the XPC soon for MSRP $1600. But I think with all the other offerings out there, a new model Winchester will have a hard time making the cut on my final short list.

Next option is the most costly, but a more custom route. I can get a finished barreled action, trued R700, Krieger bbl, Timney 510, Badger knob, threaded muzzle, Cerakoted barreled action only for $1740. I would want to put it in an AICS AT chassis which would bring it to $2700 total. A lot of rifle for the money though! Only problem is the several month wait to have the barreled action completed.

Then on to the Savages! And I must say as of now I'm leaning more towards this direction. For $1000 or less even, you can get a 12 LRP or a 10 BA Stealth. The LRP obviously has the rare target repeater action. I do like the HS stock, but would replace the barrel most likely. Good mags are $100. A little cerakote and I would be fine with it, I still like conventional stocks but do like the options on chassis systems. The only real reason I would consider the LRP over the Stealth is for the action.

So far there have been some impressive results of the 10 BA Stealth. For $500, either Savage could be upgraded with a threaded Shilen Select Match (pre-fit), NSS recoil lug, and NSS trued barrel nut.

The only other parameter with the factory rifle options I'm unsure of is the triggers. From what I've found, the 10 BA Stealth has a 22 ounce trigger that is crisp. Not sure about the Bergara?

I would like to hear thoughts on the Tikka, but I think it really comes down to either spending a little more for a custom R700 build and waiting it out, or going the Savage route (10 BA Stealth most likely) and having a $500 select match barrel option installed. If it absolutely needs it. I figured I could sell any of the factory barrels (unfired) for around $200 to offset some of the cost for the aftermarket. I would replace the 0 MOA base and the stock on the Stealth.

I know this is lengthy, but I want to get it right the first time and have a rifle I can progress with. I'm not an expert, but certainly not a beginner with precision shooting.

Glass is a non issue. I'm budgeted for good glass and at a bare minimum will end up with a Gen2 PST. Serious options are Steiner T5 or Razor. But that's another topic for another day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I am mistaken, the Tikka Tac A1 is a 24" CTR in a chassis. Why not buy one for $8-900 and pick your own chassis or stock that fits you? The only reason I could think of is somebody trying to shoot in a OEM class at matches.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Unless I am mistaken, the Tikka Tac A1 is a 24" CTR in a chassis. Why not buy one for $8-900 and pick your own chassis or stock that fits you? The only reason I could think of is somebody trying to shoot in a OEM class at matches.
View Quote
Good point. The CTR is available in a 24" barrel now. But after a chassis setup, I'm looking at $1700 - $1900 anyway. Not enough cost savings (if any) to justify.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in a similar situation and the Bergara is at the top of my list. The only thing holding me back is that I want to see what kind of folding mechanism they use on the chassis. It is supposed to be out sometime this year.

Before the BMP, my plan was to build a Howa (with one of the newer threaded barreled actions) and stick it in a KRG X-ray. Once I saw the BMP chassis was just about as close to what I would design in a chassis, they sold me. If they would just flute the barrel, it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Good point. The CTR is available in a 24" barrel now. But after a chassis setup, I'm looking at $1700 - $1900 anyway. Not enough cost savings (if any) to justify.
View Quote
It's not savings, it's the ability to pic what you want. Krg is 550 or so, some others more. To each their own but you can also shoot the gun as is and it'll shoot as well in the factory stock. It's like buying a Porsche and rushing out to buy new brakes and suspension. Just because we are accustomed to American mass produced junk that needs work doesn't mean that you can't buy something out of the box that meets your performance requirements.

The chassis popularity is primarily driven by the legacy of poorly designed oem stocks that degraded accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]

It's not savings, it's the ability to pic what you want. Krg is 550 or so, some others more. To each their own but you can also shoot the gun as is and it'll shoot as well in the factory stock. It's like buying a Porsche and rushing out to buy new brakes and suspension. Just because we are accustomed to American mass produced junk that needs work doesn't mean that you can't buy something out of the box that meets your performance requirements.

The chassis popularity is primarily driven by the legacy of poorly designed oem stocks that degraded accuracy.
View Quote
I agree with this, I ordered a Tikka t3x in 260 a few weeks ago and started looking for a chassis immediately. After getting behind the rifle and shooting it the factory stock isn't all that bad. I put a scope, suppressor, and a bipod on it and I was ringing steel at 600 yards on my first range session.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
So one said I should have kept my 700 and do a barrel change. I agree that was an option.  But the quote I got to true to the action and rebarrel was just not attractive enough. I wanted to start fresh, scope too. So I got $1500 for the rifle and Vortex Viper PST.

And for the Tikka guys. Are we 100% that the TAC A1 and the CTR are the same minus the chassis? I definitely do not care for the CTR stock. I'm sure it's quality,  but I've held one when they first came out and didn't care for the grip style and it looks weird to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
So one said I should have kept my 700 and do a barrel change. I agree that was an option.  But the quote I got to true to the action and rebarrel was just not attractive enough. I wanted to start fresh, scope too. So I got $1500 for the rifle and Vortex Viper PST.

And for the Tikka guys. Are we 100% that the TAC A1 and the CTR are the same minus the chassis? I definitely do not care for the CTR stock. I'm sure it's quality,  but I've held one when they first came out and didn't care for the grip style and it looks weird to me.
View Quote
The T3x is a much different stock that the T3 from a grip perspective
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is the main reason I got the t3x instead of the t3, only thing I'm adding to it is a cheek riser. I'm sure I'll get a chassis before long but this way I can still enjoy it until I figure out what chassis I want.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I would not overlook a HOWA 6.5 HCR, or if you want a nicer chassis you could get a barreled action and drop it in a number of chassis.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Rob, you are absolutely right. I considered keeping my 308 and having it trued and rebarreled. But I found someone that really wanted the rifle and scope package as is, and was willing to pay for it. Around $800 is what I would have paid to have the R700 reworked.

Still may go the custom 700 barreled action route, but I am liking the Savage Stealth quite a bit. Especially the ease of dropping in a select match barrel with components from NSS.

I like the MDT / Drake chassis a lot. Would replace the buttstock and maybe drop a Timney accurrigger replacement in it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Bergaras BMP looks great and feels great (haven't shot it though, just handled it), but if you want to customize your rifle for less you could look at their HMR. Its the same gun as the BMP but without the chassis (length of pull and comb are adjustable though). Since its built on a 700 footprint you can use any aftermarket parts you want which was a smart move on Bergara's part. I just picked up my HMR in 6.5 for $900. I like the stock as is and won't be changing it any time soon, which gave me the rifle I wanted for much less than any of the other options.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#14]
@eck have you shot your HMR yet?

From the website it looks like the barrel is only 22" where the BMP is 24"?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
not yet unfortunately, I just had to put almost 3k into my truck recently so I'm out of funds for glass at the moment and don't have anything to throw on top. And your right, it does have a 22" barrel, but it is guaranteed from Barbara to shoot 1 MOA or better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top