Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 8:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DLIP]
I found a deal on a new Remington 700 LTR for $905 shipped to my FFL.

Full disclosure, my interest in precision shooting stems from my enjoyment of predator and prairie dog hunting. I like to shoot and want to shoot sub-MOA on paper for extended range sessions. That is pushing me away from buying another sporter profile barrel. That said, I also want it to be relatively light weight as I'm typically going to have it slung over my shoulder for several miles per hunt. The LTR seems to fit that bill on paper at 7.5 pounds.

This is also something that I hope will improve my shooting skills out to 5-600 yards.

Is this a good entry level precision rifle? Is there anything else out there that I should entertain?

ETA: The optic that I'm mounting on this is a Leupold VX-6 in 3-18x44 with a fire dot duplex. Eventually I'd like to trade up to a Night Force NXS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
While there may be better options, for the price you are getting a very solid gun with a decent stock.  I have an older one that I have been very happy with.  It is s paper puncher and I will take it deer hunting when their is rain in the forecast.  It shoots better than I can.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:41:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002] [#2]
It will serve you well as an entry level rifle.

ETA: but replace the stock trigger with a Timney, Jewell, or other.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you would be impressed with a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor or 20" 308. I've also heard some good things about Howa/Weatherby, Bergara, and some of the new Savage models.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#4]
I've had a LH LTR in .308 for about 8 years, killed a couple dozen deer with it at this point.  I swapped out the trigger for a Jewell, and the FP assembly for the Gre-Tan unit.  They are nice little rifles.  Seekins makes a rail that lines up with the 2 studs in the stock if you want to mount an Atlas in the ADM or LaRue mount that way.  Attachment Attached File

ETA: EGW alloy base and Badger Alloy rings, Leupold 2-12x42mm.  Light enough to carry, but just heavy enough to be stable off the tree stand rail.  I think a NF 2.5-10x32mm would be perfect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
....  I swapped out the trigger for a Jewell...
View Quote
In my post above, I forgot to say "replace the trigger."

The factory lawyer-approved trigger is pretty bad, especially for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always liked the LTR but I've never owned one.  If you like the stock, then they're worth it.  If not, get an SPS Tactical and put it whatever stock you prefer (I like McMillian A5s or A3s).

Swap out the trigger for a Timney and a 700 is usually a solid rifle.  I still like 'em but I haven't gotten a bad one yet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DLIP:
I found a deal on a new Remington 700 LTR for $905 shipped to my FFL.

Full disclosure, my interest in precision shooting stems from my enjoyment of predator and prairie dog hunting. I like to shoot and want to shoot sub-MOA on paper for extended range sessions. That is pushing me away from buying another sporter profile barrel. That said, I also want it to be relatively light weight as I'm typically going to have it slung over my shoulder for several miles per hunt. The LTR seems to fit that bill on paper at 7.5 pounds.

This is also something that I hope will improve my shooting skills out to 5-600 yards.

Is this a good entry level precision rifle? Is there anything else out there that I should entertain?

ETA: The optic that I'm mounting on this is a Leupold VX-6 in 3-18x44 with a fire dot duplex. Eventually I'd like to trade up to a Night Force NXS.
View Quote

A friend of mine has a LTR in .308 and its a MOA to sub MOA shooter

That being said its light and followups will be an issue if you don't get a muzzle break for it

$905 isn't really a steel though thats more of the average street price

Keep in ming that the PSS and the LTR are just better finished versions of the SPS line of rifles and all shoot just about the same
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
" />

I like mine. It shoots a little better than my SPS. It also like the 155Amax.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
O had a left handed LTR that I added a badger base and USO ST10 scope. It shot 168gr SMK sub MOA. A LTR is a great first rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
LTR barrel is not threaded. So, to get a muzzle break you will have to send it off to be threaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top