Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 1:53:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aby001]
I ordered a Tikka t3x ctr in 260 over the weekend, I've been looking at a chassis although it may be a month or two before I purchase one. There are a ton out there and I feel overwhelmed when looking. This rifle will mainly be used for long range precision but also hunting several months out of the year.

I keep looking at the KRG Whiskey 3 but I don't care for the way the grip and stock are connected. I've also been looking at the XLR options which I'm leaning towards as of now just based on looks and features.

Any insight and pictures would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first long range build, I'd like to do it right the first time instead of trying stuff then replacing it like I've done with some of my ar's. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What works for me may not work for you.  This stuff comes down to personal preference, and what feels the best to you.  If you have friends with different chassis its best to get behind them and see how they feel.  The downside to this game is there isn't a bunch of retailers where you can go get a feel for things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:08:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#2]
The T3X out of the box is a fine platform. I cringe when I see people saying that the stock is a throwaway. I really like the T3X stock ergonomics and balance.

I have had a T3 CTR 308 for awhile. Bought a KRG for it. A few weeks later I bought the T3X CTR in Creedmoor and like the factory stock so much I plan to keep it.

There was NO perceptible difference in shooting performance going to the KRG and the feeding will never be a smooth from an AICS mag as the factory TRG style mags. They both shoot tiny groups.

Personally I think any of the goofy buffer tube attachments like the XLR look strange. The KRG, to me, looks like it was designed for a bolt gun. The XLR looks like something off an AR
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:13:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked the look of the Mccees Precision G-10 the best.

After shooting a bolt gun in a chassis I found out I don't like pistol grips on bolt guns, so I ordered a Manners stock for my CTR.

The Mcrees looked really nice though, cleaner looking than the other options.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:50:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aby001] [#6]
I looked at the Mcree after seeing the tac a1, looks like a decent setup. I would like something that folds just for when I do go hunt or need something compact. I'm not a big guy, 5'8" 180 lb, I really wish I could get a feel for some of these different chassis but my dealer dosn't have anything and I don't have any matches around here.

I'm going to live with the t3x stock with a Harris bipod for a bit and go from there. Chassis is in the back of my mind but I'm really stuck on an optic. Viper pst 2 FFP sounds good but there are so many good options out there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have manners and KRGs on mine. I like the manners for the hunting guns and the KRGs for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered a XLR carbon chassis for my Tikka 260 tonight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the rifle today, now the search for optics begins. I think I'm going to wait until my LGS gets a Viper pst II in to check out the glass and turrets. The 3-15x44 FFP with mil reticle is what I'm thinking as of now. I have a gen 1 pst and it's a decent scope but the glass isn't as good as some of my Steiner and Leupold scopes. The scope I'm looking at has 20 mils of elevation, should I get a 20 moa rail or mount to be able to get me to 1000 yards?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aby001:
I picked up the rifle today, now the search for optics begins. I think I'm going to wait until my LGS gets a Viper pst II in to check out the glass and turrets. The 3-15x44 FFP with mil reticle is what I'm thinking as of now. I have a gen 1 pst and it's a decent scope but the glass isn't as good as some of my Steiner and Leupold scopes. The scope I'm looking at has 20 mils of elevation, should I get a 20 moa rail or mount to be able to get me to 1000 yards?
View Quote

I would get more magnification and a 20 MOA rail for sure.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I own both a KRG XRAY and a XLR Element, and I find the element to be far more comfortable to be behind. In the hand the element also feels much higher quality. It is purely opinion and subjective but I highly recommend and XLR chassis.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a T3 and a Remington 700 in a Mcree. I would not put it into a chassis and take it hunting. It shoots 1 MOA out to 600 without much effort and I'm not even a decent shooter. If you want it for hunting I'd say leave it stock and then build a range gun in a Mcree stock.

All I added to mine was picatinny base, cheek rest and picatinny bipod mount.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RePp:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:

Maybe a 5-25 FFP is in order, I was also looking at the same Viper pst II in that magnification. I'm trying to keep the scope cost under $1500 as of now. This is to get me started in long range, I don't have a problem upgrading down the road. Any other optics opinions in my price range that are FFP and a good reticle would be great. I may post in the optics section if I don't get much response here. After handling the rifle a good bit the factory stock doesn't feel bad, I think a cheek riser and good bipod will get me by for a while.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Maybe a 5-25 FFP is in order, I was also looking at the same Viper pst II in that magnification. I'm trying to keep the scope cost under $1500 as of now. This is to get me started in long range, I don't have a problem upgrading down the road. Any other optics opinions in my price range that are FFP and a good reticle would be great. I may post in the optics section if I don't get much response here. After handling the rifle a good bit the factory stock doesn't feel bad, I think a cheek riser and good bipod will get me by for a while.
View Quote

The 5-25 PST is what I would recommend. A bipod is a must, have you got a range finder and kestrel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Silencerco Radius I picked up for a good deal a few months ago. I've been looking at the Kestrals, trying to decide which one to get.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Silencerco Radius I picked up for a good deal a few months ago. I've been looking at the Kestrals, trying to decide which one to get.
View Quote

5700 elite with AB is nice, A drop D3 gets you the DA which is most important and a cost effective option.    The 5500 is a nice in-between model that does all the atmospherics and wind.

Everything i've seen on the Radius has been pretty meh.  The sig kilo is hard to beat for an LRF at the price 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered a MPA chassis for my T3X should have it in hand in 3 or 4 more weeks
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:53:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By chrishag:
View Quote

I was going to also say look at MPA. I'm personally wanting their light version with side folding after looking at other stock options.

Would greatly appreciate a review after you get yours.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 556hollowtip:

I was going to also say look at MPA. I'm personally wanting their light version with side folding after looking at other stock options.

Would greatly appreciate a review after you get yours.
View Quote
If you decide on the lite version call them to make sure they are making them.  I ordered a lite version and after six months of waiting and no straight answer on when they could deliver I cancelled my order.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By The_Accuser:

If you decide on the lite version call them to make sure they are making them.  I ordered a lite version and after six months of waiting and no straight answer on when they could deliver I cancelled my order.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.  Thats definitely not good and blows.

I've looked at the XLR also.  Really want to stay around 800 or less with folding option.  Definitely slim pickings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 556hollowtip:

Thanks for the heads up.  Thats definitely not good and blows.

I've looked at the XLR also.  Really want to stay around 800 or less with folding option.  Definitely slim pickings.
View Quote
Yeah, after they refunded me my money I saved for a bit more and just ordered the XLR carbon chassis.  I hope to have it early April.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple Chassis guns.

Shown are an MDT, and an XLR.

For a heavy barrel gun built for long range, I would go with the XLR.

For keeping the gun as light as possible (in a ready available chassis), I would go with the MDT.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Just received my Mcrees Precision Chassis for my CTR in 308. No trigger time yet, but so far I really like it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TripleJ:
Just received my Mcrees Precision Chassis for my CTR in 308. No trigger time yet, but so far I really like it.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q181/triplej_photo/99D0CB21-CEF2-48A7-9A47-DA477F4AFFFE_zpsfde7yvap.jpg
View Quote
I like it, is that the G7 or G10?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]
G10 Mlok model
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks good, let us know how it feels and how you like it after you get it to the range.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TripleJ:
View Quote
Sweet setup! What brake is that?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#29]
It's an APA little bastard
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had several chassis and stock setups. My favorite chassis is the KRG X-ray, by far. I ran mine with a Whiskey 3 forend. Great setup.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By chrishag:
View Quote
I was hoping someone would suggest this.  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one.  I can't decide on color through.  Stuck between black and burnt bronze.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
The T3X out of the box is a fine platform. I cringe when I see people saying that the stock is a throwaway. I really like the T3X stock ergonomics and balance.

I have had a T3 CTR 308 for awhile. Bought a KRG for it. A few weeks later I bought the T3X CTR in Creedmoor and like the factory stock so much I plan to keep it.

There was NO perceptible difference in shooting performance going to the KRG and the feeding will never be a smooth from an AICS mag as the factory TRG style mags. They both shoot tiny groups.

Personally I think any of the goofy buffer tube attachments like the XLR look strange. The KRG, to me, looks like it was designed for a bolt gun. The XLR looks like something off an AR
View Quote
I just got a T3X CTR in .260.  I'll shoot it as is, at least for now.

Do you know if the cheek rest is swappable with a higher one?  I thought I read that somewhere but can't find such an animal for sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mopseydocks6014:
I was hoping someone would suggest this.  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one.  I can't decide on color through.  Stuck between black and burnt bronze.
View Quote
I went with black. Although almost ordered Burnt Bronze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top