Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 2:03:43 PM EDT
I am looking for ways to improve accuracy with my 9,3x62 rifle, and had a look at the crown. There isnt actually much of a recesion, perhaps i should recrown the barrel with the "brass screw and hand drill"-method?

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the crown square? Are there marks on the rifling or any damage? If no then don't mess with it. If there are, let a smith with a lathe take care of it.

What does the rest of the rifle look like? If the gun is not properly bedded or the barrel is not floated/ inconsistent pressure then those items will effect the accuracy more. What about sights? Scope bases, rings, the scope? What ammo are you using? Have you tried reloading for it or using match ammo?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:38:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charles76] [#2]
The crown looks non-dented, but its a rather straight 90degree cut i think. The rifle is an old beater, and the stock looks terrible, the barrel isnt free floated(warped stock), lots of marks and it has a couple of small repairs. I have just finished sanding it down, and started to oil it with line seed oil and thinner. The only ammunition i hava tried is Norma FJM "Jaktmatch" 9,3x62mm, witch is considered to be quality ammunition(i think).

https://s18.postimg.org/yw2wdjwa1/collage_2017_03_07_2.png

I havent tried the rifle with a scope, just used the iron sights. But im looking for a cheap scope to use on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
A screw is not for crowning, it's for deburring.

That one looks like it's slightly rounded in the photo.  If it's square to the bore centerline and shoots, then it's okay, a crown does not need to be recessed, although it's a good idea for a gun that might get banged around.  I can't see a problem with the existing crown from the photo, but a close up look is needed.

The question is, "how well does the gun shoot now?"  The gun might be shooting to its potential right now.  Bedding might help, or maybe not if the gun is not accurate at all.

What is the condition of the bore?  If the throat is eroded way out, that might be the source of accuracy issues.

Have you considered having the rifle bedded?
View Quote

I took the rifle out to the range(although the finish of the gunstock isnt really done), and i managed to get 3 shots from 100meters(109yards) with a CC of 35mm(1 1/2 inch) After that i tried a couple of shots from 300 meters, but of my first series of 3 shots only one hit the target. After that my shoulder started hurting from all the shooting, so i quit for the day. The one that hit the target was a bit high, so i probably didnt calculate my mildots correctly.

Now the rifle is disassembeled and the stock is beeing covered with Tru Oil, for a nice finish.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charles76] [#6]
I finished with the stock, it became alright. I had a hard time getting the Tru Oil down into the small depressions in the wood, but the stock is glossy and water repellent atleast. I took it to the range, and at 100 meters i got 3 shots within 35mm(100 yards, 1 1/2 inch) using Sellier&Bellot FMJ. I put a nice scope on it, a 6x40 that is surprisingly clear. Should i be happy with the group, or is there anything i should work with? The barrel is now free floated, the stock had warped a bit so it needed quiet a bit of sanding.

https://s16.postimg.org/8xp4q3wlx/collage_2017_03_18_1.png
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top