Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2017 2:08:50 PM EDT
Is the Magpul Hunter really that great of a stock? Midway has them forsale for 247..... For a little more you can get a BC m40 for 290 and for 100 more you can get a H&S for 350...... Question is, the B&C and H&S are both proven stocks....Is the Magpul as well made? I was under the impression its made out of the same stuff their AR parts are made out of.....  Does the ability to add a DBM to the Magpul without mods really have that much of an impact? Is the Magpul bottom metal really that well made? I haven't got to look at one yet but I am curious... Not a flame thread
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#1]
It's a good stock with lots of accessories and a great price point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The magpul has an aluminum bedding block, comfortable grip angle, adjustable cheek weld, spots to instal qd attachments, and is inletted for dbm that accepts aics mags. That inletting will cost you about $100 for a gunsmith to do to a bell & carlson or hs precision stock
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDEL] [#3]
Sometimes it just comes down to what you like, and the Magpul is a worthy bargain if you like the look and feel.  The HS stocks and such are a more traditional feel and look and definitely harder to accessorize but sweet when done right.  I just got my first Mcmillian and wow it's in another realm.

Good bottom metal and inletting cost money and the Magpul made that reall affordable.

Like all these chassis systems with AR parts for bolt guns for instance make me want to barf, but people love them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like an awesome attempt, but there is a video on YouTube showing the barrel of an SPS Tactical damn near touching the stock when on a bipod. Same problem that the Hogue stock had, although not as bad. My B&C doesn't flex at all. Seems to be a hit or miss with the Magpul free floating.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
It looks like an awesome attempt, but there is a video on YouTube showing the barrel of an SPS Tactical damn near touching the stock when on a bipod. Same problem that the Hogue stock had, although not as bad. My B&C doesn't flex at all. Seems to be a hit or miss with the Magpul free floating.
View Quote

I have a Magpul Hunter with a Rem 700 TWS (Police) long barrel from the mid 90's. I have to really work the stock to come close to touching the barrel and using a dollar test is 100% free floated. Only shot once but I like it so far, just need the no cheek riser.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Like others said, it is the total package cost that makes it so attractive. The ease of conversion also plays into it. If you can work a screwdriver, preferably one with torque control, you can go from a factory stock to the Magpul with DBM in half an hour at the kitchen table. Total cost will be almost $200 lower than the same end result with a BC or H-S and could be a bigger difference depending on the DBM you choose and your gunsmith's pricing for the work. I don't worry about the youtube video with bad spacing, you can find that for pretty much any stock out there. It happens. I'd be willing to bet that it happens no more often with the Magpul than other brands in the same general price range.

It's certainly not for everyone, and it's no competition for the McMillan's and others in that category, but it's good enough for most people who want to get away from the crappy original stock. I have one, I'd buy another. In fact, I've got some tentative plans in the works for a new R700 that will use one primarily because of the ease of installation. I just need to find the host action at a price I like.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I like mine.  It is a much better feel to me than the XCR stock it came with without being overly heavy like some other options.  

I can't argue with how the gun shoots with it either. 30-06 Fed. Gold Medal Match. These groups are typical now with that ammo and I've shot several a little smaller.  With the factory stock I was lucky to get this same ammo grouping at an inch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imaguy3] [#8]
I got mine from here... I couldn't say no when they were so much cheaper than everyone else.

https://www.universalmania.com/products/magpul-hunter-700-stock-fits-remington-700-short-action-flat-dark-earth-finish?gclid=CPGA0uur8tECFZM2aQodNC4IVg

https://www.universalmania.com/products/magpul-hunter-stock-for-remington-700-long-action-calibers-920-diameter-barrels
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one and it was out of spec there was a huge gap at the end of the stock and it looked like the barrel was not straight, I returned it and got a FDE one (both from Amazon) and it is perfect. I was going to order Mcmillan A5 but decided the Magpul is perfect.  Buy with confidence, Amazon has them for 224.00 free shipping for prime members.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By imaguy3:
I like mine.  It is a much better feel to me than the XCR stock it came with without being overly heavy like some other options.  
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/imaguy3/IMG_20161216_111641668_zpstsj2b1ji.jpg

I can't argue with how the gun shoots with it either. 30-06 Fed. Gold Medal Match. These groups are typical now with that ammo and I've shot several a little smaller.  With the factory stock I was lucky to get this same ammo grouping at an inch.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/imaguy3/Screenshot_2017-01-22-14-35-12_zpsvhfryy3n.jpeg
View Quote

what app is that?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Now if only they made one for Savage rifles... 
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By InternationalM:

what app is that?
View Quote

"range buddy"
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
is this normal for the Hunter?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imaguy3] [#14]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
is this normal for the Hunter?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/IMG-20170202-183451-139077.JPG
View Quote

If you scroll down this review he shows it completely taken apart... Also you can see in his pictures towards the bottom, after he beds it, his also displays that small gap.
http://rifleshooter.com/2016/07/review-shooting-with-the-magpul-hunter-700-stock/

Ultimately it doesn't hurt anything, I had some issues with using my bottom metal when I got my stock, it wouldn't close properly and was binding on the stock.  I called them and they told me to take a file and remove some material from the magazine area so my bottom metal would close properly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's another picture of one with a small gap..

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By imaguy3:
Here's another picture of one with a small gap..

http://www.accuracy-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/jadeprecisionshotshow2.jpg
View Quote

Mine shows the same small gap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Midway dropped the sale price to $208, Trigger guard with ACS mag $55, bipod adapt $11 ?.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Just got mine set up today.. Still waiting on the right break...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I installed one on my Rem 5R over a year ago when they first came out.  Never had a issue other than my timney trigger not fitting the hole in the stock, but that was alleviated with some minor sanding of the plastic.

Great stocks for the money IMO.  I also wish they made them for Savage 10/110.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Will these fit a model 7?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]

3 shot group.  100 yards
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I have one on a 223 and so far it is shooting sub MOA.  The grip has a little more angle than I would like, compared to my other precision rifles, but I'm adjusting to it.  

The biggest thing I like is that I can run AICS pattern mags in it which makes it a bargain compared to other options on the market.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Kinda same topic kinda not.
Anybody have info on if Magpul is going to do their AICS patter mags in 223?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:04:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#25]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/367025/IMG-9176-143075.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/367025/IMG-9177-143070.JPGJust got mine set up today.. Still waiting on the right break...
View Quote

We are nearly twins, although your bipod doesn't suck.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's try this again:
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevk4] [#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InternationalM] [#28]
Originally Posted By Lineman86:
Will these fit a model 7?
View Quote

No, the model 7 action is shorter than the 700... At least I think....
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#30]
so for those who have bought one of these.  was this a complete drop in with no modification stock?
Yes. The only "modification" I did was installing a sling swivel stud, and even that was pre-marked for installation. Everything else is bolt-on, drop in, etc. If you use Magpul's bottom metal and have a Timney 517, the trigger guard will need modified. It doesn't get any easier than this.

with the higher cheekpiece it almost seems some would have to get higher rings? the pictures from Zak make it almost seem like the cheekpiece is above the action
There are 3 different SGA cheek pieces you can use from 1/4" rise to 3/4" rise. You will not need higher rings. It comes with the .25" riser out of the box.

Pictures make everything better.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Is the Magpul Hunter really that great of a stock? Midway has them forsale for 247..... For a little more you can get a BC m40 for 290 and for 100 more you can get a H&S for 350...... Question is, the B&C and H&S are both proven stocks....Is the Magpul as well made? I was under the impression its made out of the same stuff their AR parts are made out of.....  Does the ability to add a DBM to the Magpul without mods really have that much of an impact? Is the Magpul bottom metal really that well made? I haven't got to look at one yet but I am curious... Not a flame thread
View Quote

I don't know about a "great stock" but it's really good for the price. Real world they can be bought for quite a bit less that $247 which makes those price gaps even bigger
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Which iteration and how do you guarantee Savage won't change a hole location on you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the stock and just picked up the Rem 700 magpul in 260 the stock feels good and has the look , I put a Leupold Mark 4 in 4.4x 14 on this gun , and it was easy to mount the M- Lok sling mount and one for the short bi pod out front . The trigger is not bad I will play with it for now maybe upgrade later . I did have a Rem 700 M-24 marked ,7.62 gun in my hand for 2000 . the barrel was a lot heaver . I wanted this type gun for deer and hog shooting .200 to 400 yard . I have been picking up ammo now mostly Fed Premium in 140 gr . I like everything about the Magpul stock the look and feel and how you can add stuff to it .
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
The Magpul 700 stock is a great stock for its intended market. It's a cheap stock packed with the features you find in more expensive stocks and chassis systems. It's better than a Hogue but its not close to a Manners or McMillan.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I had a 700 AAC SD with the Hogue stock on it. I also had a spare HS Precision LTR stock from a previous rifle. I originally swapped the AAC into the LTR stock. It shot ok, better than the Hogue certainly....I started thinking about upgrading the LTR stock with some sort of bottom metal for a mag conversion but then I still would not have had any adjustability for length of pull or comb height......and it wasn't cheap, bottom metal was $150 plus gunsmith charges.....

So I sold both the Hogue and the HS on Ebay. I then bought a green Magpul stock for my rifle. Rifle shoots as good with this Magpul as it ever did with the HS- and I ended up with about $100 in my pocket after selling the two stocks AND got much greater adjustments in my stock, AND AICS mags....a win all the way around.

Is it a "better" stock than the HS Precision, I would say so....It shoots every bit as good and offers more features. Are there better stocks out there? Sure, but for what is essentially a factory "stock" 700 rifle you're going to have to spend quite a bit of money to get the gun to shoot up to the better stock- true action, trigger replaced etc....It fits a certain niche very well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#36]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Which iteration and how do you guarantee Savage won't change a hole location on you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Current Gen model 10

I can't guarantee anything

Has Remington made that guarantee to Magpul?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#37]
Current Gen model 10

View All Quotes
Current Gen model 10

Remington hasn't changed a thing on the 700 for decades.

There's probably a dozen different iterations of the Savages, including different action screw spacing, with no rhyme reason as to why.
That's why companies generally don't like making things for Savage rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Plus, with the Mag-Pul stock, you dont have to deal with a company that hires Lon Horiuchi to be it's spokesperson.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:
View Quote
From something I read; no, they never plan on making them.

We need to get them to change their minds though.  I think there would be a huge demand.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#40]
Originally Posted By LC2ner:

We need to get them to change their minds though.  I think there would be a huge demand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LC2ner:
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:

MDTs .223 AI mag is already cheaper than Magpuls AI knockoff.

And a genuine AI .223 mag is only slightly more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#41]

There's probably a dozen different iterations of the Savages, including different action screw spacing, with no rhyme reason as to why.
View All Quotes
Current Gen model 10

I am a bit familiar with the different Savage stocks as I've been looking to replace my 10T stock with something different but don't need a tacticool $600+ chassis.  It's unfortunate if this is the reason that's keeping Magpul from making Savage stocks... At least for the more common models
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

I got one this week with the bottom metal. It is lighter than I thought because of some of the reviews that I have read and it is very solid feeling. I have read reviews that there is forend flex. I don't see how that could happen unless you really put a lot of weight behind it. It is probably just people bad mouthing things that they have no experience with to puff themselves up.

I am impressed.

I am not 100% on which magazines to use. I got two of the Magpul 10 rounders along with the 5 rounder that comes with the bottom metal. Does anyone have experience with using the AICS metal mags as a comparison. brownells.com/magazines/short-action-aics-magazine-308-winchester-10rd-steel

I know they are a lot more, but in the end after the purchase, I don't really care about cost in this instance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top