Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/10/2015 1:19:38 PM EDT
I had shot a few bullpup rifles, but never a precision oriented bolt action bullpup until I got hold of a few Desert Techs.  They are admittedly pretty dang nice, accurate, and look awesome.  But, they had several flaws I didn't like, adjustable length of pull with legos, proprietary everything, and PRICE.

Here's a rendering of a project I've been working on, with an 18" barrel:

Adjustable length of pull, recoil pad height and cant, cheekpiece is vertically and horizontally adjustable, AICS and AW mag compatible, modular, and the trigger assembly will come pre-installed in the chassis, with minimal user effort to attach to your barreled action.

Renderings are nice, but here's a few pictures of the prototyping process so far.  The main action section came out very nicely, and currently the trigger is getting sorted out, which is coming along very nicely.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool.  Are you documenting your design and filing any paperwork to protect  your IP?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a patent on the design, yes.  Although there's enough innovative stuff going on inside that more than one may be warranted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool. The trigger is going to make or break it, though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
are you doing your machining on a cnc or manual milling machine ?

if this is out of your home shop and interested in a partner i would be
interested if we can machine for long action Savages as well  
i do have my own home shop with years on a manual machines
SB lathes & Jet Milling machines .

TS2
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
SortOfWant.jpeg
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
neat looking.  My only hesitation comes from the muzzle closer to my ears and hanging my head over a chamber should a casing ever let go.  

Oh and have you figured out how to keep a nice clean trigger pull for a precision rifle and keep it safe with the extra mass of the long trigger link?  I always thought that would be the hardest part.  That old Remington Etronix electrical primer would work.  I don't know how much longer Remington will even make them let alone know if they still do.   or maybe designing your own electrical/mechanical fire by wire system.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I love it!! I was just searching for something like this the other day! I want a bullpup bolt action but DTA is a bit(read a lot, lol) out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
are you doing your machining on a cnc or manual milling machine ?

if this is out of your home shop and interested in a partner i would be
interested if we can machine for long action Savages as well  
i do have my own home shop with years on a manual machines
SB lathes & Jet Milling machines .

TS2
View Quote

Hi TS2, I'm machining these on a CNC mill right now, hoping to incorporate a CNC lathe into the mix as well eventually.  I do plan on offering for Savage actions eventually, but right now I have one business partner and as long as possible we'd like to keep things between us.  We've had many people try to invest in return for a company stake, which convinced us it was a good enough idea to try and do completely on our own.  Thanks for the offer!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Things will most certainly be louder with the muzzle closer...but this means you can put a big fat can on and retain the same overall length ;)

The cheekpiece will be nice and stout for extra protection of one's face near the chamber.  We have a patented trigger design for which testing is going quite well thusfar, once things are finalized I plan on posting some videos proving the system, starting with an OEM trigger, then modifying it to fit the bullpup assembly and comparing pull weight and creep after.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, going to tag this
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, if the trigger system can be worked out I'd definetly buy one. I love my bullpups and have always wanted a SRS.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Time for an update:

Forend assembly is completed (obviously there's some aesthetics to be done)

Trigger assembly is 99% done, testing is going great, internals are uninstalled for a small change that makes putting it together much easier.

I'm making a bottom piece with a mag latch, along with an adjustable recoil pad assembly, and then all I'll need is a rail to have a totally functional chassis.  Extended bolt handle development will come last, I want to take this thing deer hunting and season starts in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome progress! Can't wait to see more! Great job man!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for progress update
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tykempster:
Time for an update:

http://i.imgur.com/ohJaRoU.jpg

Forend assembly is completed (obviously there's some aesthetics to be done)

Trigger assembly is 99% done, testing is going great, internals are uninstalled for a small change that makes putting it together much easier.

I'm making a bottom piece with a mag latch, along with an adjustable recoil pad assembly, and then all I'll need is a rail to have a totally functional chassis.  Extended bolt handle development will come last, I want to take this thing deer hunting and season starts in a few weeks.
View Quote

Just an idea/question.
After the trigger guard, would it be possible to have it threaded similar to ar15 upper? So that ar15 hand guards are usable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:48:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sapperdaddy04] [#17]
What type of mags is it gonna take, also just curious of what it would cost to have one built. And how hard would it be to install the action and everything. Also I would recommend that is be compatible with ar15 pistol grips.

Also I think it looks badass. My only concern is how akward it may be to cycle the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Depending on the mag catch/latch. You could go dual and sneak in the ar15/10 style catch as well. Similar to the RPR but different
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#19]
A left handed action would make sense for this.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi guys, sorry for not seeing people responded to this.  I'll try and answer questions in order:

I plan to offer a forend option that will accept ar15 handguards.  I want to still produce my own, and keep the same aesthetics as the rest of the chassis, but realize there is a demand for ar-15 compatibility.

The current design accepts ar15 grips.  I plan to offer several options, and if a customer wants a specific grip, a little dremel action should make whatever grip you desire fit perfectly.

AI/AW mags will fit standard.  I've had discussions with gunsmiths, and according to them, action feed ramp modification is required.  Not saying we couldn't make Pmags or an AR type mag system work, but I am not personally interested in modifying customer actions for such a purchase.

Also, V2 will be totally ambidextrous :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in for at least 1, maybe 2 when you get everything ready to make more.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tykempster:

AI/AW mags will fit standard.  I've had discussions with gunsmiths, and according to them, action feed ramp modification is required.  Not saying we couldn't make Pmags or an AR type mag system work, but I am not personally interested in modifying customer actions for such a purchase.

Also, V2 will be totally ambidextrous :)
View Quote

I understand, just thinking that the choice to accept ar type mags "if action allows/custom action" would give you a one up on people considering a regular dbm/chassis system or a ruger precision rifle
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting!
What side of the state are you on?
St Louis or KC?

I'd love to see one of these in person when you have a finished product ready for sale...
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Any idea what your gonna charge?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:13:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Sapperdaddy04:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think OP might need to ask the admins about becoming a dealer/industry partner.

Companies or individuals may not
advertise or sell products and/or services in the forums without
permission from an admin. (This includes siglines and titles.) Industry
Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and
also require admin permission.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:23:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

I think OP might need to ask the admins about becoming a dealer/industry partner.

View All Quotes

Companies or individuals may not advertise or sell products and/or services in the forums without permission from an admin. (This includes siglines and titles.) Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and also require admin permission.

Slow down hall monitor, he ain't exactly taking preorders on a finished product, it's just a project thread so far.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I would make it take ar15 freefloat handguards. Very easy to customize then.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

Slow down hall monitor, he ain't exactly taking preorders on a finished product, it's just a project thread so far.
View Quote

Ain't no spinning red and blue light helmet on my head. Just a heads up.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
looking great so far. any idea of timeline until delivery?
Months? New president in second term?

Also,  what's your projected price point?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Companies or individuals may not advertise or sell products and/or services in the forums without permission from an admin. (This includes siglines and titles.) Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and also require admin permission.

Just asking a question.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]
In regards to the few questions asked recently:

No you can't buy one yet.  I'm not advertising as such.  As far as timeline, hoping to do the first preorders sometime early next year.

I've received enough interest in AR handguard compatibility that I will be making this an option.  Price point is looking around $1200 or so right now, for the base model.  Optioned out it can go higher.

Currently talking with some industry leaders about making custom triggers that attach to our patented linkage system
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tykempster] [#32]
Small update:

Ok..big update:

Prototype trigger increased pull weight from 2.5lbs to 2.75lbs, felt pretty much like a normal Xmark trigger...just not where you're used to it being!  That being said, one of the largest trigger companies is going to be making custom units for this chassis, which I am STOKED about.  I am confident it will feel fantastic.

After messing around with V1 some, we have done some refinement, leaving us with V2 as you see here:

Don't worry about the grip being so close to the magazine, a more vertical grip will clear much more and have plenty of room, nothing has changed in that aspect from V1 and I had absolutely no issues.

In a few months I hope to share another big development, think carbon fiber thumbhole bullpup stock in conjunction with a top notch stock manufacturer

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
This definitely got a lot more exciting!! Can't wait to see this progress further!

Really awesome job man, this is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quite amazing. I can't wait to see a finished one. I'm still unsure about the whole concept of a bullpup bolt action rifle. It just sound award to work the bolt, but a really cool idea none the less.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Need more info

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
More info you say?  V2 is gonna be done late this week!  Stand by for some pics and I can answer any questions you have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By netwt12:
View Quote

I was thinking something along the same lines.  Trying to imaging working the bolt in prone position. Seems like it would be cramped with the elbow hitting the ground?  Very cool looking design! Hope it comes together for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kodan:

I was thinking something along the same lines.  Trying to imaging working the bolt in prone position. Seems like it would be cramped with the elbow hitting the ground?  Very cool looking design! Hope it comes together for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kodan:
Originally Posted By netwt12:

It will be a bit awkward with a stock bolt.  Not unmanageable if you are reasonably in shape, but not optimal...which is exactly why we will be offering an extended bolt.  You send in your bolt, we thread it and install an extension that brings the bolt handle forward.  Now it feels like a normal rifle....but significantly more compact and well balanced.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:35:21 AM EDT
[#39]
What would th OAL be on a Rem 700 with a 16" barrel?

Too bad I have a Tikka with a 16.5" barrel ready to roll. It even has a 70* bolt throw
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#40]
pics of the trigger linkage?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By stre-tch:
What would th OAL be on a Rem 700 with a 16" barrel?

Too bad I have a Tikka with a 16.5" barrel ready to roll. It even has a 70* bolt throw
View Quote

We will be making a Tikka inlet and trigger linkage next year!  So keep that in mind.

You will be in the mid-high 30s for OAL with a 16" barrel, depends on your LOP.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By defconskylude:
pics of the trigger linkage?
View Quote

Sorry, don't feel comfortable posting pictures of the most crucial component to the chassis being successful.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a package get lost in the mail that set me back a few weeks.  Chassis V2 is less than two weeks from done now, here is the "main rail"!

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd be interested in something for a Savage 10FCP-SR and left handed
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:31:49 AM EDT
[#46]
found this on YouTube's feed today.

And for non-pic people, http://youtu.be/ltI1bk2TIEU
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#47]
ost
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#48]
That's bad ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#49]
This is neat, and I applaud the hell out of you for what your doing. But could you explain to me that target audience for a bolt action bullpup?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
This is neat, and I applaud the hell out of you for what your doing. But could you explain to me that target audience for a bolt action bullpup?
View Quote

I can't speak for the OP but I am interested because this coupled with my suppressor would make a handy hunting rig that balanced well and was still compact.

I would love a Desert Tech SRS but they are out of my pay grade.

Ymmv
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top