Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 3 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#1]
The RPR is the cover story in the new August 2015 issue of the American Rifleman.

The article offers more details on the design, and intent of Ruger in making this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Talyn:

The RPR is the cover story in the new August 2015 issue of the American Rifleman.
View Quote

Just saw that.  I snagged a 243 off gun broker today.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got my LGS trying to get a 6.5 Creedmoor from their distributor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Would be awesome to get a 16 inch barrel and throw some short hand guards on it have a nice compact rifle you could stick in a pack.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
I sent an email to ruger asking if they will do custom orders such as different barrel lengths. Will see what they say but doubt they will for awhile anyways.

Not going to happen unless you're a distributor. They are touting easy to change barrels so you can just swap afterwards.

Would be awesome to get a 16 inch barrel and throw some short hand guards on it have a nice compact rifle you could stick in a pack.

I was thinking along those lines too, a folding MOE Rifle stock and a 16" barrel would be tits.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some details in one Gunbroker ad:
Up for auction is the Ruger Precision Rifle. This amazingly well built bolt action AR platform rifle is chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. The platform is engineered for pin point accuracy. The super smooth bolt throw, quickly chambers round after round. The 24 inch cold hammer forged barrel has a 1-8 right hand twist rate to help ensure accuracy. The stock is completely customizable to fit each individual shooter and maximize comfort. Two (10)round Magpul Pmags are included.

Model Number 18005 Capacity 10 Stock Folding, Adjustable Length of Pull and Comb Height Barrel Cold Hammer- Forged, 5R Rifling Barrel Length 24.00" Folded Length 34.60" Overall Length 42.25'' - 45.75'' Height 7.30" Width 3.30" Weight 10.60lbs. Length of Pull 12.00''- 15.50'' Twist 1:8'' Medium contour (.75'' at the muzzle) barrel features 5/8''-24 threads. Thread protector installed. •Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges. •Highly accurate Ruger cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber. •Equipped with a Samson Evolution Keymod Handguard. May be configured with any AR-style handguard. •Magazine well front is contoured for a positive grip for bracing against shooting supports. •20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, #8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities. •'Lower' magazine well halves are precision machined from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging and are Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability. •'Upper' receiver and one-piece bolt are precision CNC-machined from pre-hardened 4140 chrome-moly steel to minimize distortion. •Multi-Magazine Interface functions interchangeably with M110, SR25, DPMS and Magpul®-style magazines and AICS magazines (works with some M-14 magazines); two 10-round Magpul® PMAG® magazines included. •Three-lug bolt with 70° throw features dual cocking cams and a smooth-running, full diameter bolt body. •Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger is externally adjustable with a pull weight range of 2.25 to 5.0 lbs.; wrench is stored in the bolt shroud. •Oversized bolt handle for positive bolt manipulation, with 5/16''-24 thread for easy replacement. Bolt disassembly tool is stored in the bolt shroud for easy striker channel cleaning. • In-line recoil path manages recoil directly from the rear of the receiver to the buttstock, not through a traditional bedding system, providing maximum accuracy potential. •Extended trigger-reach AR-style grip and 45° reversible safety selector. May be configured with any AR-style grip and selector. •Ruger® Precision MSR stock with QD sling attachment points features a bottom Picatinny rail and soft rubber buttpad. The left-folding stock hinge is attached to an AR-style buffer tube and accepts any AR-style stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious to see if it will work with my AW mags.  I don't see why it wouldn't, but that would  a nice feature
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious to see if it will work with my AW mags.  I don't see why it wouldn't, but that would  a nice feature
View Quote

Seriously doubt it'll work with AW's.  With as picky as they are I just don't see it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Multi-Magazine Interface functions interchangeably with M110, SR25, DPMS and Magpul®-style magazines and AICS magazines (works with some M-14 magazines);
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:15:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#9]

View All Quotes

If you got the one for $1000 BUY NOW, I was looking hard at it...

Dealers cost is about $850-$875... screw buying one at $1300.00....
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Blackfoot_7:
View Quote

X87.

Like right now. I pray I'm not searching for one for months.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

X87.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARmory04:
Originally Posted By Blackfoot_7:

X87.

Once the initial supply is out, there will be more. With a dealers cost of around $850, it won't be long until the rifles can be had at about the $950 mark. There are/were a few in .243 going on GB between $1000 and $1150. No doubt some dealers are trying to cash in on the hype by marking them up to $1350 and more.  I'll wait... the $200 to $400 increase is best spent on ammo or reloading supplies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I went out and bought one today.  Paid a somewhat inflated LGS price of $1050 plus tax, but I was glad to find one in stock, and in my caliber of choice, 6.5 CM.  Unfortunately I got delayed on the 4473, so I have to wait for the Federals to give permission for my privilege to bear arms before I can give y'all a range report.

I played with it a good bit at the store though, and am very impressed by the design.  It has everything I want in a sniper rifle right out of the box.  It is light enough to take hunting too.  Looking forward to dropping some antelope at long range with this dude.  I will probably use it as a tree stand gun for deer too.  

I think it's the coolest new gun design to come out since I've been shooting (the past 15 years).  I have never gone out and bought a gun the week it is released before, but I think this one will be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By henschman:
I went out and bought one today.  Paid a somewhat inflated LGS price of $1050 plus tax, but I was glad to find one in stock, and in my caliber of choice, 6.5 CM.  Unfortunately I got delayed on the 4473, so I have to wait for the Federals to give permission for my privilege to bear arms before I can give y'all a range report.

I played with it a good bit at the store though, and am very impressed by the design.  It has everything I want in a sniper rifle right out of the box.  It is light enough to take hunting too.  Looking forward to dropping some antelope at long range with this dude.  I will probably use it as a tree stand gun for deer too.  

I think it's the coolest new gun design to come out since I've been shooting (the past 15 years).  I have never gone out and bought a gun the week it is released before, but I think this one will be worth it.
View Quote

I can't wait for a range report on this.  I have my LGS looking for one chambered in 6.5 and want to hear about what this rifle does in the wild before buying!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Crazyhorse26:

I can't wait for a range report on this.  I have my LGS looking for one chambered in 6.5 and want to hear about what this rifle does in the wild before buying!
View All Quotes

Perhaps I have a skewed view from the threads here and on the 'Hide, but it seems like the 6.5CM offering of this rifle is VASTLY more popular than the others.  I'm sure .308 will do well with guys wanting to get into F-TR and the .243 will do well with hunters and reloaders.  But seriously, it seems like the 6.5 is talked about 10:1 to the other offerings.  I wonder if Hornady pushed Ruger to add that to the line up to help the cartridge or if Ruger just knows the market that well and can see how popular it is becoming?

I, for one, am getting into the 6.5 game due to this rifle.  I doubt I would have otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#17]
6.5 has a nice balance of performance barrel life and available factory ammo. I would guess the 6.5 will sell the best with the 243 selling the least.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]

6.5 has a nice balance of performance barrel life and available factory ammo. I would guess the 6.5 will sell the best with the 243 selling the least.
View Quote

Yep, 6.5 is a good precision round.  I was planning on getting a Savage in 6.5, but I may get the Ruger instead.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Seeing as this is the only 6mm rifle with a 7.7 twist allowing end users to use the heavy 6mm bullets I am betting it will sell well for people looking to get a 6mm. The .243 was a big cartridge in tactical match shooting back around 2006/2007 but then the Creedmoor came out and other 6mms started becoming popular but the old .243 with the heavies is still an excellent long range round.

I think the .308 will sell best, as they always do, followed by Creedmoor and then the .243 but they will still sell a bunch of .243s.
View Quote

I agree as that is what I would buy if I was buying one.  The simple fact is that almost everyone that shoots has a .308 and almost everyone that reloads has components that will work for .308 while the 6mm and 6.5mm bullets and powder aren't as common.  Since I don't even have access to a 1000yd range the benefits of anything other than .308 just won't be realized by me and I doubt I am alone in that.

I can also walk into just about any store in America that sells ammo and get excellent (if not match) ammunition for .308 Win.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#21]
Seeing as this is the only 6mm rifle with a 7.7 twist allowing end users to use the heavy 6mm bullets I am betting it will sell well for people looking to get a 6mm. The .243 was a big cartridge in tactical match shooting back around 2006/2007 but then the Creedmoor came out and other 6mms started becoming popular but the old .243 with the heavies is still an excellent long range round.

I think the .308 will sell best, as they always do, followed by Creedmoor and then the .243 but they will still sell a bunch of .243s.
View Quote

I agree. I think the 243 was the most ballsy choice and I hope it pays off so others will follow. Savage and remington really dropped the ball on their long range guns by not offering the faster twists.

Don't a lot of the matches limit speed to 3000 fps? I think I remember a old thread about some people choosing 6.5 because the main advantage in the 243 was you could get the heavies up well over 3,000 pretty easily.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

Perhaps I have a skewed view from the threads here and on the 'Hide, but it seems like the 6.5CM offering of this rifle is VASTLY more popular than the others.  I'm sure .308 will do well with guys wanting to get into F-TR and the .243 will do well with hunters and reloaders.  But seriously, it seems like the 6.5 is talked about 10:1 to the other offerings.  I wonder if Hornady pushed Ruger to add that to the line up to help the cartridge or if Ruger just knows the market that well and can see how popular it is becoming?

I, for one, am getting into the 6.5 game due to this rifle.  I doubt I would have otherwise.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I'm guessing ruger did it all on its own. The Creedmoor is becoming really popular. Keep hoping they will make the 6mm creedmoor a standard cartridge but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not the first to say that this changed my mind about a Savage 6.5 build.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By hkmp5s:

View Quote
Know anyone who wants to buy a bunch of Savage parts?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm going to sell my project truck and get one of these.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Sniper rifle.
View Quote

That stuck out to me as well. Hehe

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Sniper rifle.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#29]
This is not GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
View All Quotes

As tempting as the new RPR is, my southpaw Savage .308 with XLR chassis is set up for the duration.  However...if you've got a 6.5CM, Savage compatible barrel that you want to unload...we could talk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]
My fatherinlaw just ordered a rpr in 308. I'm interested in trying it out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#32]
Sniper rifle.
View Quote

Democrats like to call them sniper rifles, even though they're precision rifles.

The poster is confused.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#33]
All the big distributors are showing them as allocated, so unless dealers got their orders in early it's gonna be a while.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I didn't mean to offend you "sporting use only" folks by the use of my non-PC terminology.  How about I call it a "long range Second Amendment purpose rifle?"  Do your vaginas feel better now?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]

I didn't mean to offend you "sporting use only" folks by the use of my non-PC terminology.  How about I call it a "long range Second Amendment purpose rifle?"  Do your vaginas feel better now?
View Quote
Sorry, we didn't know you were a "Sniper".

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:08:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#36]
View Quote

My girls friends' feels fine.  Just don't bump your penis head into anything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Sniper, we're poking fun at ya.
Back on track - how's the trigger and bolt throw on RAs anyway?

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#38]

I agree. I think the 243 was the most ballsy choice and I hope it pays off so others will follow. Savage and remington really dropped the ball on their long range guns by not offering the faster twists.

Don't a lot of the matches limit speed to 3000 fps? I think I remember a old thread about some people choosing 6.5 because the main advantage in the 243 was you could get the heavies up well over 3,000 pretty easily.
View All Quotes

I don't know if .243 was such a ballsy choice, because it seems like a good round to lure in the Fudds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

I don't know if .243 was such a ballsy choice, because it seems like a good round to lure in the Fudds.
View All Quotes

Seems the .243 is readily available... it's not selling as fast as the .308 and 6.5CM. I think a 7mm-08 would have sold faster than the .243. Me... I'm trying to hold out for a 6.5CM.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

243 with a 1:7.7 Twist has nothing to do with Fudds.  Slinging 105s and 115s downrange moving fast is fun.  I have a a custom 260 and I'm getting one of these in 243 just because I want to push rounds faster.  I'll still shoot my 260 in matches.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I think I want a 6.5, but I'm seriously considering a .243 also.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Something tells me within a year I'll have all three...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

View All Quotes

Depending on how easy it is to make barrels for this, that may not be too tough.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#44]
This looks awesome.

I will get one. Only question is which caliber. I have other 308 rifles and I'm already swimming in calibers....but the 6.5cm sounds awesome
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Depending on how easy it is to make barrels for this, that may not be too tough.
View All Quotes

I don't need one, but it's tempting just for the fact you wouldn't need to send it off for a barrel swap. . .

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#46]
This looks awesome.

I will get one. Only question is which caliber. I have other 308 rifles and I'm already swimming in calibers....but the 6.5cm sounds awesome
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Ruger has initiated the "Ruger Precision Rifle Challenge".

Ruger Precision Rifle Challenge
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm REALLY hoping some of the big names that make Savage prefits hop on this bandwagon.  Being able to mail order a Criterion barrel in whatever caliber you want (as long as the bolt face matches) would be kickass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

EE here I come!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I keep coming back here looking for a range report hoping someone was fortunate to get one in there hands and made it to the range. Haven't been this excited since buying my 50BMG. Dam, this rifle looks sweet. Am curious if the precision rifle makers are a bit pissed at ruger for making one affordable to most, or applaud them to get folks hooked into precision shooting. Hoping for someone getting the 6.5CM gets one real soon and post there thoughts.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 3 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top