Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2016 11:06:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr]
There's a monthly long range match in Avenal, CA. The course is a bit of a hybrid between classic PRS and NRA Sporting Rifle matches

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8hCdgeFsCc [/youtube]

We have a nice vigorous hike with 8 shooting stations along the way. Each station has an obstacle you can shoot from or you can take the prone position at the designated spot at each station.

This match can be wickedly challenging simply because the winds are often very difficult to get a decent read on.

Match fee is $20.
6-7 targets per station
8 stations.
50 shots total

The course is very hilly and the 1 mile hike each way is a decent workout. You can easily shoot this with .223.

Full rules at: http://avenalgunclub.com/wp-content/uploads/Long-Range-Match-Program-1.pdf

There's no prize or trophy. This is a bragging rights match. It usually takes until about 2-3pm to finish the day.

Here's a quick video of highlights from my last run:
Feb 21 Long Range Match

Pro-Tips:
Because of the way we squad out it's entirely possible to have to walk the length of the course and back an extra time. If you start squadded to start on station 8 then you walk out to station 8, shoot, walk back to station 1, continue through stations 2-7 and then walk back to station 1 again to complete the course. Squadding out as far as station 4 is not a big deal at all but station 5 is down a steep hill which kinda sucks to have to go down and up twice and station 6 is up a nasty hill from 5. Stations 7&8 are pretty mellow to get to after you pass 5 and 6. If you squad out on station 5-8 you'll want to make sure you have an extra sammich and an extra pint of water. On room temperature days I'll kill 3 litres of water and 2 sammiches.

Avenal is a tiny town of mostly prison guards and agricultural laborers but the gas is cheap in town, the business operators are uniformly awesome people and the tacos simply rock. If you decide to try it out, work it so you fill your fuel tank IN AVENAL PROPER. DO NOT get gas on the freeway if you can help it. You'll pay an extra dollar per gallon on the freeway and Avenal is only 5 miles from the freeway.

If it's looking like it'll rain in Avenal the day of the match, just don't go. The match will probably be called if it's going to rain and even if it's not called for rain, the drive on the dirt roads in the wet is hairy and the mud is unbelievably slippery, even for mud.

There is no potable water onsite. There are proper restrooms though with sinks so you can wash up and do your business. Just don't drink what comes out of the faucets.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! Never realized this event was here in my neighborhood.  I will try to make the June match.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Hope to see you there! It's an absolute hoot. Less like any other match shooting I've done and more like you and 40 of your closest friends going out and having a great time shooting. Look for the camo NWTF ball cap and say hi if you're able to go. I'm hoping we'll be able to drop in another obstacle improvement while we're there this time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Our next Long Range Match is on Sunday the 19th at Avenal Gun Club. Come out and have a good time. I'm planning on being there on the 18th as well to get my zeros re-done (swapped my scopes around among my rifles and got a new load) and get some velocity data. If you wanna help set the range up come on out on the 18th. PM em if you're going to so we can get contact info and ETA so I can let you in. It'll be a locked facility on Saturday so I'll have to let you in. Ground camping is available and we have electricity and lights.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top