Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2017 11:01:40 PM EDT
I love this rifle and impressed at what it can do.  I does have the crack of doom, but still can shoot.  Was shooting open sights @ 200 yds on steel.  First attempt 4/5.  Just wanted to share.  Hope the rest of the community is having a good night.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful rifle, a 52 was always one of my grail guns, and always more than I could justify spending.

I saw a 52B at the last show it was crazy money.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah this was a little more than a CZ 455 Tacticool due to the crack of doom. I don't really collect firearms I won't shoot.  So to me it was a worth while investment.  It shoots beautifully.  Just something about old style firearms that gets to me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#3]
Walnut and blued steel, plus that patina of having been handled for half a century of so, that's what it is.

What is "the crack of doom"?  I'm sure you're not referring to Tolkien's "Orodruin" (Mount Doom, the Crack of Doom).
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Walnut and blued steel, plus that patina of having been handled for half a century of so, that's what it is.

What is "the crack of doom"?  I'm sure you're not referring to Tolkien's "Orodruin" (Mount Doom, the Crack of Doom).
View Quote
The Crack of Doom is the weak point on the 52 A.  The left rear locking block on the receiver is thin and prone to cracking.  Really drives down the value on these fine guns.  Mine has it but doesn't seem to effect accuracy much.  Just have to be gentle with the old girl.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Can it be fixed?

Brazing, laser welding, etc all come to mind - not easy, not cheap or risk free.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Can it be fixed?

Brazing, laser welding, etc all come to mind - not easy, not cheap or risk free.
View Quote
Possibly.  I will have to look into it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a late 20's model 52 in .270 win.  - Stock is totally fubar - split from forward of the magazine through to the grip.  Plus, someone tried to checker it years ago - badly  and different on each panel .

I've modified a model 70 stock to fit the action, and shot it a few times.  It shoots very nice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I just love my 52D i purchased about 20 years ago from the original owner, came with a 20 power unertl scope.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
That is so cool.  Love those old 52s, even more with irons.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]
nice. love the 52s .
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#11]
I just sold a pre-A 52 to help fund my Vudoo. Mine was not cracked, but I had researched it anyways- a lot of opinions say don't ever use the safety again, and also don't worry about the crack. It doesn't affect the headspace as there's still a good sized lug and the bolt handle to take the pressure.

Keep it clean, oiled up and put a few thousand rounds through it! Great shooting by the way, if mine had had irons, I never would have sold it.

ETA: like you probably have....since you posted this 5 years ago! Haha
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
I just sold a pre-A 52 to help fund my Vudoo. Mine was not cracked, but I had researched it anyways- a lot of opinions say don't ever use the safety again, and also don't worry about the crack. It doesn't affect the headspace as there's still a good sized lug and the bolt handle to take the pressure.

Keep it clean, oiled up and put a few thousand rounds through it! Great shooting by the way, if mine had had irons, I never would have sold it.

ETA: like you probably have....since you posted this 5 years ago! Haha
View Quote

Nope, still have it, and its my favorite rifle to shoot.  When I need to relax, I bust this old girl out and lose myself on the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top