Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2017 12:59:20 PM EDT
Took my wife and a couple friends shooting on the 4th. We were using my suppressed 10/22 in a Houge stock with a no name bipod
and a leupold 3-9x40. Shooting sitting at  a folding table. At 50 yards my wife almost had one ragged hole. Measured about a 1/2" using a tape measure.
Her first time shooting in 10-15 years. My friends girlfriend had never shot before. She was shooting the staples off the targets (6" paper plates) at 50 yards.
My buddy and I each had .75"-1" groupings
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
22 rifle with a scope on a table at 50yds 

You should be able to shoot groups of about .224 diameter all day long
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:

View Quote
Really? Even with a suppressed semi auto? I've got some work to do
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#3]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He was either trolling, or needs to post some pics of his accomplishments.  Probably forgot that this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
He was either trolling, or needs to post some pics of his accomplishments.  Probably forgot that this isn't GD.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

He's trolling.

That's the diameter of one bullet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Old targert shooters trick- one or two in the target then dump the rest into the berm and claim they all went into the same hole

What ammo? What trigger?(Ruger stock triggers can be somewhat rough)

Most high velocity generally shoots about 1-1/2+" at 50 yards with my Target 10/22 but I have a aftermarket trigger in it. With a decent target ammo it is more like 1/2-or 3/4".

Most folks agree that 10 shot groups generally give you a better idea of what is going on with the gun,shooter and ammo. Lots of luck can play into 5 shot groups.

At any rate The OP,his wife and friends seem to be doing a decent job!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
hide behind your wife
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jacuzz1] [#7]
I was just at the range with a Ruger American 10/22  Aniversary model and  could barely do 1.5 inch at 50 yards using a Nikon 3-9 . The ammo is just too inconsistent. I was able to do under 1 moa with a my Ruger American 22 mag at the same distance using a Nikon  Precision AO 3-9 . Those LR rounds can get blown around by the wind pretty easy. I am old and a little shaky due to car accident injuries but still
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]

View Quote
This post is 100% crap and shouldn't be in a technical forum.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
Here's how I'd set these groups in context.

NRA Smallbore Rifle Target for 50 yards:  

X ring ..................... ..359 inch.......... 7 ring ............. 2.879 inches
10 ring .................... .719 inch.......... 6 ring ............. 3.599 inches
9 ring .................. 1.439 inches......... 5 ring ............. 4.319 inches
8 ring .................. 2.159 inches......... 4 ring ............. 5.038 inches

So, you guys were shooting 9's, 10's and X's.  The women were shooting 10's and X's.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all, I feel a bit better. We started with Aguila sub sonics which had a bit of spread. Switched to CCI and the groups got tighter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on the gun and a lot on the ammo.  This is what I consider good

This assumes a scope 3-9x or better and a stable rest shooting 50 yards measuring center to center

Stock 10/22 with bulk ammo <1" is good

10/22 with a good barrel and trigger job with good ammo ~1/2"

10/22 with a good barrel and trigger job with match ammo <1/2"

Anschutz 54 1710d hb with match ammo = 1/4" - 3/8"
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ammo makes a huge difference with .22.

I've shot a ragged hole of 10 rds at 25 yds with the right ammo, around .33" iirc, and seen it open up to over an inch with the wrong ammo.  If you want to have some fun buy a box or two of about 10 different types of match .22 and test them in the gun. It's amazing what the right ammo will do for groups.

Honestly though a .75" group at 50 yds sounds like you're shooting the right ammo. Thats fine shooting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
How much will a trigger (Kidd,Timney ,etc) tighten up groups?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
I ran a .920" match bull barrel on my 10/22 with a free float stock and a Volquartsen trigger group. These parts made a difference to be sure but again, the real eye opener was finding the ammo that worked the best with that particular rifle.  This was back in the early 90's iirc, so it's been a while, but I believe that I had the best results with some flavor of Eley.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
When everything else is sorted out, a good barrel, a good chambering and barrel installation, properly fitted sights, a well-bedded stock, then you will see why a good trigger is so important.

In the end, it comes down to the shooter.  The trigger is the last bit between the shooter and firing the rifle.  You can have a near perfect hold but if the trigger does not trip when you need it to, you are out of luck.  Have you held too long?  Is your wobble zone getting bigger?  Can you wait for the sight to come back on target?  Or do you have to dismount the rifle and start over?

Having a reliable, consistent trigger is a sweet thing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
It depends on the shooter.  

A great shooter will appreciate it, but their groups might not improve at all.  They are stable and consistent enough to compensate for a heavy gritty trigger.

A mediocre shooter will shrink their groups the most. They will have decent form and control of the gun. The less force they put into the gun while breaking the shot the more consistent they will be.

A beginner may gain some, but they generally have bad form, bad control, etc.  It won't be a constant gain. Their groups may be small and the next may be larger.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
1/2 inch"
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Since he doesn't know how groups are typically expressed, I would agree.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The 50 yard targets from the Tack Driving Range Game have 1/2 inch tacks. It's good fun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By atlaturne:
1/2 inch"
View Quote
Like this guy said, 1/2 " @ 50 is great, any better than that outside in the elements, and you would have to be shooting in a warehouse or tunnel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I consider 1/4 - 3/8 acceptable.  More than that I play with ammo flavors.  If it still won't get under that, its most likely time for a new barrel or a new rifle.

That said, before I make a big switch to a new barrel, ammo goes over a chronograph and I shoot 25-50 shot groups.

My little 40X SBR holds under 1/4 at 50 with a couple different lots of Eley Edge.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
22 rifle with a scope on a table at
50yds 

View Quote
Came pretty close with this group of 5 @ 50 yards
Attachment Attached File

But this is about average
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I shot 4 MOA all day challanges yesterday at 50yds with a ruger 10/22 in a magpul stock with a 20" green mountain Barrel. Everything averaged around .6" best group of the day was .411 worst was 1.13. I can usually keep it around .6 if I do my part. I really want to get a KIDD trigger and do think that will help my groups. I also need to do more ammo testing. Everything yesterday was SK plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top