Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2017 6:59:49 PM EDT
I like the weight and reputation of the Ruger Takedown and am interested in the LITE. But with a 16" barrel, is it accurate enough? Heck with that little suppressor, I'm sure it's quiet enough. Anybody own one that would recommend it? Wish they bought something different? Thanks in advance.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, that is one ugly gun.  But coming from ruger I am surprised its not green or blue or some shit like that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:37:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#2]
I LOVE my green american rimfire predator. Looks *awesome*.

not mine, just the same model:
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
OP I don't have that gun, I have an original takedown that I put the tactical solutions threaded barrel and hogue stock on.  I was after the ultimate light, takedown suppressed gun for motorcycle trips.

After shooting it, the search continues.....  I was expecting stellar accuracy,  afterall my other TacSol barrels shoot lights out.  

After going to the range, I was looking at 1" or Worse groups at 25 yards.  I couldn't figure it out my normal 10/22 with TacSol barrel would be 1/4"-1/2" at that range with most ammo.

Didn't realize the obvious till I read it: The bipod rests on the bottom of the barrel, barrel is basically attached to receiver at the base and supports the firearm.

ANY pressure on that front end will change  your POI.  I am going to reshoot and try to support the back end of rifle under the joint and not the forearm.

But that being said,  I want a .22 with stellar accuracy,  but the way that this gun is built, I don't think the takedown is capable of it. If you are looking for a good plinker and bottle buster, it's a great gun, but I am looking for ground squirrels at 100 yards, and this gun won't do it the way it's built.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. That is what I wanted to know. The only reason I was looking at the Lite is because of the 1/2"-28 threads for the suppressor. I may just look at something used.... and maybe the take-down connection messes with accuracy too much. Thanks for the input. Now, time to start over?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I am just one opinion, and this is one gun.   could be there's something wrong with it,  but I don't think so.  I have read several forums relating similar experiences, or not as much accuracy out of the takedown model.

And it makes sense when you realize I was (retardedly) shooting it off a bipod and a bag, when the bipod is literally attached right to the barrel. In hindsight it made sense.

There are tons of non-takedown models with the threaded barrel, and to be honest, if I was rabbit hunting offhand, or plinking,  I wouldn't care. But since you are in the Precision .22 forum, I'm guessing accuracy matters.

I would also suggest you look HARD at the American Predator .22.  Model 8334.  I have one of those, it's very small, very light, and very accurate with good ammo.   Norma 22 match is 1 hole at 25 yards. Or dang close to it.

they are also only about 300 bucks. I love mine.

I am going to sell the takedown tacsol model,  it doesn't buy me much in packability with the takedown size vs say the predator .22.  With scope the full size predator .22 is only a few inches longer than the takedown, when it's in half.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
As none of my other rifles breakdown ...except for my Grandfather's model 12 :-), something like the predator may be closer to what I want. Yes, accuracy matters. If I was trying to kill something 25 yards away, I'd could just use my 12 gauge! Thanks for the clarification. Now... that gun would look real nice in walnut.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Problem isn't barrel length, aren't shorter barrels more accurate (fps is a separate issue) and 22lr peaks somewhere around 16 inches anyway.

Problem is scope mounts to receiver and the barrel attachment is imperfect.

I have a TD and it's great and accurate..enough. Maybe the VQ barrel with offset mount would make it accurate (no qualifier).
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Factory 10/22 barrels don't have a reputation for great accuracy, I think the takedown action would make them less accurate to a degree due to more variables.

That said I think they a cool rifles and IMO the best option out there for a takedown .22, since they have a great aftermarket.

Is it worth $500 - IMO no
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, $500 is a lot. Since the predator is $100 less, maybe a heavy barrel on it would be heading in the right direction...
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hate_Work:
Yes, $500 is a lot. Since the predator is $100 less, maybe a heavy barrel on it would be heading in the right direction...
View Quote

The American Rimfire Predator comes with a heavier barrel than the normal american rimfire from what I read.  At least the 8334 model does I think.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:23:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#11]
Originally Posted By plove:
Problem isn't barrel length, aren't shorter barrels more accurate (fps is a separate issue) and 22lr peaks somewhere around 16 inches anyway.

Problem is scope mounts to receiver and the barrel attachment is imperfect.

I have a TD and it's great and accurate..enough. Maybe the VQ barrel with offset mount would make it accurate (no qualifier).
View Quote

Any set up with the take down where you have the rear sight or optic not mounted directly to the barrel will be inherently inaccurate.
The Volquartsen Take down Lite barrel is incredibly accurate with the optic mounted to the barrel also the stiff aluminum fore end makes no contact with the barrel except at the receiver end mount. Bipod mounts will not flex the barrel.
The only issue is cost. You can buy another 10/22 for the price.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe the answer is to just use some 40 grain in my 5.56. Maybe Santa brings me a nice little 10/22 for Xmas when all the sales start again....
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#13]
I considered one, but ended up building one from scratch.  I started with a tactical machining receiver and then added a Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel with a Silencerco sparrow.  It's not as compact as a takedown, but it is just over a typical 16" 10/22 with the suppressor mounted under the shroud.  It's a very light and handy rifle with a 2-7 scope and a nylon Hogue stock.

info and pictures of the SB-X barrel
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
There's always the SBR option.

TACTICAL SOLUTIONS XBR
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By m6z:
There's always the SBR option.

TACTICAL SOLUTIONS XBR
View Quote

Aluminum barrel? Good thing I have time. Only problem is the more I look, the more a "cheap" 22 will cost.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#16]
A Ruger Charger and a $200 tax stamp costs about the same and is much more fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top