Well it is almost done!

Short story:

Specs

CZ 455
17hmr barrel cut to 17" and threaded by Que
Bolt knob done by Que
DIP scope rail (think 20moa)
DIP trigger shoe
Dr. Frankenruger KKC stock with inletting, pillar bedding and glass beading done by George at Sonoran Gunstocks.
Vortex 2.5-10x32 viper HS scope
SiCo Al sparrow

Things left to do are:

Polish action (maybe send it off to Dj)
Take my spare 17hmr barrel and send it to brimstone for a SBX style shroud to be installed.

Question:

What are you guys lubing up the bolt with on these 455's?

Long Story:

I bought a 455 in 17hmr a few years ago and really fell in love with the flat shooting round for sage-rats and groundhogs. I had sent the barrel off to Que (on RFC) when he was still doing gun stuff and had him thread/cut the barrel to ~17" and to take a SiCo sparrow suppressor. At the same time I had him put on a tactical bolt knob so I could cycle it easier. Fast forward a few years and I noticed that the receiver on the back end was deforming from cycling the action. So I contacted CZ and they said to send it back in for inspection. Well I sent it in and after a while I got and email saying they were going to replace it with a new one. So once it came back and I opened up the package I found that my threaded barrel, tactical bolt knob and scope rail were not returned. So off to CZ I sent another email to get my stuff back (which they sent once I had called them on the phone).

Meanwhile I had picked up a KKC stock (Dr. Frankenruger) for my 10-22/PWS T3. I really liked the ergonomics of the stock so I decided I would like one for my CZ especially on those days where we spend 6-8 hours behind the gun. So I worked with Dr. Frankenruger to see if I could get a stock to fit my CZ 455. Well they used to inlet them for the CZ 452 but discontinued that but after communication between Dr. Frankenruger and the stock mfg. they were able to secure for me a stock that had not been inletted. Once I got the stock I set out to find someone to inlet the stock for me. I sent off lots of emails and actually found George Gillipsie of Sonoran Gunstocks. I emailed him about my issue and he said he could do it and would enjoy the challenge. So I sent it off to him along with the stock. Well George found out the stock was more of a full size stock than the stock normally used on the old CZ 452's so he had to figure out how to make the stock work and still look great (which it does unless you just don't like the KKC stock looks but the performance far out weighs any negatives in the looks, but I personally love the looks). Once George got the stock inletted, pillar bedded and glass bedded he sent it back off to me.

Now I have mounted up my 2.5-10 Vortex Viper scope to test out some accuracy.

Unfortunately my new action (hasn't seen 1 round through it) is pretty rough and I might need to reach out to DJ to see about the bolt polishing (and possibly the bolt guides in the receiver.

Right now I am saving up to send off my spare 17hmr barrel to Brimstone gunsmiths to have a shroud put on it a la TacSol SBX and really make it sweet to carry in the field.

Pro's
Fit and finish.
Adjustability
Ergonomics
Accuracy (hoping it equals the last receiver)
Uniqueness - It's the only one like it out there.

Con's
Cost - for the price of all the work I could have bough a used Annie or Sako Quad hunter
Weight - The stock isn't that light and the varmint barrel plus scope makes this gun heavier (still is much lighter than my suppressed 308).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a beautiful rifle, OP!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
That's a beautiful rifle, OP!
View Quote
What he said!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks great! I really like the bolt handle mod, looks very proportional to the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the compliments.

I have had it out shooting twice in the past few weeks.

Found out a few things.

1. I need more magnification to shoot groups at 100 yards   50 yard groups are easily under 1/2" 5 shot groups.  At 100 yards the 10x (now a 3-12x scope is on it for hunting) isn't enough.   Looks like guys over on RFC use 36x scopes to shoot for groups at 100 yards. Might need to get one to see what this can really do. But small game 150 yards and under doesn't stand a chance if it holds still long enough

2.  Need to bend a new Kydex cheek rest that allows me to get lower. When shooting from the bench or shooting sticks it's not a problem but prone the cheek rest is too tall (long face + tall cheek bones).

I have a 22lr sported barrel I might throw on it to save on costs ammo wise but so far this rifle is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I like higher mag for precision group stuff on paper. I'd steer you away from the Athlon Argos 8-34x. That thing didn't track and is blurry above 24x. I switched to a Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x and that was great glass but I couldn't get the parallax adjust correct at 50yds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know on the Argos-

How are they on the Midas or Ares line (thinking 4.5-27) ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top