Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 9:49:05 PM EDT
Looking for a scope recommendation for 22LR and long distance precision (around 200yrds). What do you use and why?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the vortex 4-12x44
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of hawk sidewinder scopes I really like. They make some good scopes for the price.

No direct experience but a lot of .22 shooters are liking the athlon scopes. I am getting a talos for my .22 I just got.

They will focus down I think as low as 25 yards
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at a Nikon Prostaff II Rimfire scope.  4-12x40 I think with a 150yd BDC.
Anyone have experience with a Nikon rimfire specific scope?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats your budget?

I have a 40X Elrod Repeater (I actually have four of them) and am running mostly S&B 5-25s.  Top pic is a 12-50, the others are 5-25.

We often shoot them out past 200 yards and sometimes I stretch mine out to 400-500.  The video is me shooting a bush about the size of a basketball at 465 yards.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone I've run into that competes uses a lot more magnification than 12x. Think more F class glass.

I'm using a Sightron 42x for up to 150, that's all we shoot to in our competitions. My friend is running a 8-50x sightron, and there are a few high magnification Nightforce scopes being used. I'd want a minimum of 20x, a Weaver V-24 is a great starter scope, just don't get the mil-dot version the reticle is too wide.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#6]
My advice -  invest in the best possible glass you can manage,... and then go one step up.  $1k should not be out of the question.  Buy a seriously excellent set of rings and base.

Here's why.  Mounted in good rings and using good bases, you can easily use the scope on every rifle you own.  All you need are additional bases, one for each rifle.  A good scope properly mounted in good rings can be removed and replaced (transport and storage) and/or transferred to other rifles with the same base and will repeat its zeroes to well within 1 MOA (less than the daily changes in wind drift).

Well, that's what I do.  I have one really good scope and use it on multiple rifles - rimfire, match rifle, AR's,... everything.  

I use an 8.5 - 25X 50 mm scope (Leupold) set to 25X for just about everything.  Good glass set to 25X, you don't really need a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#8]
I gravitate toward Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 scopes on my .22 LR sporters, and my normal shooting distances are 200-250 yards.

Why:

1. the optics are spectacular for the money (around $300);
2. the finger adjustable turrets are well done and the scope has consistent, reliable adjustments;
3. the 150 yard parallax adjustment is pretty much ideal for the long range .22 LR application;
4. parallax isn't a major deal with a maximum magnification of 9x (assuming the scope is properly mounted and the stock fits you well);
5. with 3x available at the low end, close focusing isn't an issue, and the low powers available offer excellent field of view when hunting with it; and
6. I shoot paper targets and steel plates, but I also like the ability to actual use these rifles in the field, and the 3-9x40 doesn't overwhelm an adult sized .22 LR rifle, and does;t ruin the lines or handling of the rifle.

Heres a VX-2 3-9x 40 on my CZ 453 American:

Here's a VX-2 3-9x40 on a slightly larger Model 52R Sporter, while dinking around with some cheap plinking ammo:

And here's one on a Remington Model 5 (CZ 99 Precision):

-----

Excessive magnification is popular with target shooters, but it comes at a cost.  It's really the objective lens that creates the limiting factor on light gathering power and when you start talking 30 and 40x scopes you're talking about a very small exit pupil, and a scope that really only delivers a good image in bright light.   Target shooters can get away with dim, crappy, grainy images because they are shooting at targets with high contrast.  But in the field that over magnified image won't let you see a potential target nearly as well as a more reasonable magnification.

9x with a 40mm objective lens gives you an exit pupil that is 4.4 mm in diameter, and that works well in any normal daylight condition (sunny, partly cloudy or over cast.  Dial it down to 6x and you get a 6.7mm pupil that will work well until it's too dark to see.

In comparison, even with a 56 mm objective lens a 32x or 42x scope will have an exit pupil of only 1.7 mm and 1.4 mm respectively.  That's a bright sunlight only proposition, before you start to lose image quality.

Also more magnification is sometimes used as substitute for quality optics.  Again, it's something that can be made to work with a high contrast target, but I much prefer a razor sharp image, even if the apparent image isn't as large.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:26:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

Excessive magnification is popular with target shooters, but it comes at a cost.  
View Quote
Boy!, isn't that the truth.

Inexpensive scopes that offer high magnification are going to disappoint you with dark images and poor resolution.  That goes for spotting scopes, too.

To get a high quality image at high magnification costs a lot of money.

To get a robust, reliably repeatable pair of windage and elevation adjustments cost a lot of money.

If you are not willing to spend beau coups bucks, stick with a smaller objective, lower magnification scope.  Honestly, my recommendation above (spend more, use same scope for all your rifles) is sincere and based on my past experiences with inexpensive scopes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Whats your budget?

I have a 40X Elrod Repeater (I actually have four of them) and am running mostly S&B 5-25s.  Top pic is a 12-50, the others are 5-25.

We often shoot them out past 200 yards and sometimes I stretch mine out to 400-500.  The video is me shooting a bush about the size of a basketball at 465 yards.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/IMG_2472.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/IMG_1991.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/fullsizeoutput_115.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqJ1EPKmtU
View Quote
Bad ass
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]
And since I can't make a suggestion that's not being discontinued here's what to look for in a .22lr scope:

Magnification Range: Depends on your needs. I would suggest trying to find one with a low mag like 3x or 4x for plinking and quick stuff. But it all depends on what you're going to do. I went for 3-9x to 8-34x to 3.5-21x on my .22 but I had different intentions for each scope when I changed or swapped

Adjustable Parallax: I can just flat out say you don't want fixed parallax on a .22lr, you'll be shooting closer than most other rifles you own and then things further away. So look for a scope with side adjustable parallax. You want it to AT LEAST go down to 50yds, the lower the better.

Reticles:
I dislike BDC reticles they hardly ever line up and if that do, at what DA, which lot of ammo, and list goes on, but if that's your cup of tea, cool, drink it.
V-plex or simple, it'll work, can't knock those to much.
Mil dot or Hash marked, definitely a plus for measuring you impacts and making corrections.
Christmas tree or horus style reticles, are even more of a plus, you can do your hold overs and offsets for wind without touching your knobs, and remember this is a budget scope, the turrets or knobs are probably cheap and don't track well.

Focal Plan: FFP or SFP. I'd suggest FFP if you can find it.

MOA or MRAD: Your choice, just make sure your turrets/knobs match your reticle.

Manufacturer Reputation/ Reviews: Kinda common sense, research, read or watch reviews (lots of them), get to know how the community feels about the company your buying your scope from, buy from someone reputable. You'll eventually upgrade and want to recoup your investment on the first scope by selling it. So why buy something you know no one else wants to buy. You'll have no luck selling it. If you don't sell it you want something that'll last and a company that stand behind it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wiseanhyzer:
I was looking at a Nikon Prostaff II Rimfire scope.  4-12x40 I think with a 150yd BDC.
Anyone have experience with a Nikon rimfire specific scope?
View Quote
I have one and it's great for precision out to 100 yards for my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are a serious tack driver, get a Sightron SIII 10-50X60.  You have your choice of many reticles.  I use the fine crosshair for benchrest shooting.  If you are on a budget, a Mueller 8-32X44 target dot scope is really nice for about $250.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting answers as usual.

A 22lr @200yds:
You should look into the ammo/ammo's you plan on using. Most target grade 22lr ammo @200yds will have similar performance to a 308w match ammo @600yds. You want a scope that will have 600yd highpower performance.
Target scopes have target dots/fine reticle's for a reason. Thick reticle lines in hunting scopes are great for hunting, target shooting. Not so much. A 1/4" reticle will cover 2" of target @ 200yds.
Scope turrets, you want a scope with target turrets and 1/8 moa clicks. 1/8moa ='s 1 bullet of movement for every click. 1/4" clicks are good for 50yds/100yds but give up too much @200yds with a 22lr.
Aim small shoot small, you want as much magnification as you're hold will allow. You want enough magnification to be able to read the mirage and high magnification scopes do a lot better job than a 3-9/4-12/etc. 200yds with a high power is nothing, 200yds with a 22lr you'll need to stay on top of the wind and reading the mirage.

FWIW:
I use a old bushnell 4-12 x 40mm scope (made in japan) on a contender for standing silhouettes. It has 1/4" clicks with a bwc top target turret (makes the 40yd/60yd/77yd/100yd easy to set). It has the thick reticle lines that thin/point in the center. I would love to use more than a 12x @100yds with a 22lr, I'm just too shaky with a pistol/standing for any more magnification. I use this setup to go against the smallbore rifle shooters. It makes for some interesting days when a guy with a pistol goes up against a shooters with 22lr rifle hunting rigs/3-9 centerfire scopes and gives them all they can handle.

I been using sightron scopes, everyone has their favorite spotted puppy. I sold off all my weavers and leupolds and bought sightrons. I use these for as general purpose scopes on sporter 22lr rifles. I use the 24x and 36x sightron scopes for everything else.

You really need to look at your ammo and get a dope chart. Then look at scopes that can perform to the level of your ammo needs. A scope with an adjustable parallax is huge. A scope that has 1-click ='s the bullet diameter is huge. The x-ring on a a-21 target is 2", 1/2" clicks and thick 3/4" reticle lines just don't cut it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
For a 22 at 200 yards, spend money for a good reticle and reliable turret tracking before you spend the big bucks to get the high magnification and tracking. A 25x scope that doesn't track and only has a fine crosshair won't do you any good. You are looking at a lot of drop and a hard time with wind drift.  What is your rifle/ammo capable of?  If you're averag group is 1/2" at 50 yards, that doesn't guarantee you 2" at 200. Roughly 1 moa at 200yd doesn't need high magnification. 14x isn't bad at 200.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you all shooting supers or subs?  I shoot CCI SV most of the time.  I started taking it out to 150 but have to have a big holdover.  I need something for that, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Are you all shooting supers or subs?  I shoot CCI SV most of the time.  I started taking it out to 150 but have to have a big holdover.  I need something for that, any suggestions?
View Quote
Never supersonic, especially for long range. When the bullet goes subsonic it will affect stability harming long range groups. Your best bet will be target ammo like Wolf Match Extra, various SK loads, RWS, or Eley.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up a Bushnell 6-18x50 Trophy. It is very nice and clear. It has the side focus which is very convenient from 15yards to infinity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#19]
My 22 is to be used as a tactical trainer. I just picked up a Vortex PST 2 3-15 with the ebrc2 reticle. Parallax down to 20 yrds and the reticle is similar enough to a hours reticle that it will have a similar feel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I just sighted in my new scope today. I got a Vortex 3-9X40 Crossfire II mounted on my Savage mark II. I still need to do a little fine tuning but I ran out of daylight. I was hitting Clay pigeons  consistently at 125 yards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top