Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 1:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steelhammer]
My silencer is about to be paroled from jail and I'm having a damn hard time finding a host. Looking for a precision .22cal rifle that feels like quality in the hands, is a Non-semi auto, with a threaded barrel, and something that's not a bench rifle.
I was almost certain a Savage FV-SR was in my future, but after feeling one up at my local Gander Mt, everything felt rather cheap minus the trigger and fluted barrel. Action felt like it was never polished, the two part bolt felt like two very separate parts, and the bolt didn't lock tight. I felt like it was almost a spare parts guns that was dragged out from the back of someones safe. ...and man, whats the deal with that wimpy factory stock?
Came across the PWS Summit T3. Loved the idea of a throw level action receiver on a 10/22, actually this rifle embodied what I was looking for. However, I was discontinued last year by PWS, seems like there are some initial quality issues, and it's expensive and tough to find those that are left.
So, this is where I wanted to ask for y'alls input and see if there was something better out there I just hadn't found yet.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Essayons] [#1]
You could do worse than a CZ-455.  Maybe the CZ 455 Tacticool Supressor Ready model?  I own a CZ-452 and it's my favorite gun to shoot.  Love that thing.

If your budget allows it, consider Anschutz.  The 1727 F AV HB looks especially cool (except for the price):

MSRP: $3595.00
Caliber: .22lr
System: Match 54 Fortner "Straight Pull" action repeater, 5020 two-stage trigger, satin blued receiver with blued barrel.
Weight: 7 lbs, 9 oz.
Barrel Length: 18" Heavy-weight tapered barrel, threaded 1/2" x 28 tpi, counter-bored crown.
Magazine Capacity: 5
Item Number:A172722HBGX
Stock Style: Classic Euro walnut.
Delivered with cleaning rod guide and hard case.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:31:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoyle33] [#2]
Originally Posted By Steelhammer:
My silencer is about to be paroled from jail and I'm having a damn hard time finding a host. Looking for a precision .22cal rifle that feels like quality in the hands, is a Non-semi auto, with a threaded barrel, and something that's not a bench rifle.
I was almost certain a Savage FV-SR was in my future, but after feeling one up at my local Gander Mt, everything felt rather cheap minus the trigger and fluted barrel. Action felt like it was never polished, the two part bolt felt like two very separate parts, and the bolt didn't lock tight. I felt like it was almost a spare parts guns that was dragged out from the back of someones safe. ...and man, whats the deal with that wimpy factory stock?
Came across the PWS Summit T3. Loved the idea of a throw level action receiver on a 10/22, actually this rifle embodied what I was looking for. However, I was discontinued last year by PWS, seems like there are some initial quality issues, and it's expensive and tough to find those that are left.
So, this is where I wanted to ask for y'alls input and see if there was something better out there I just hadn't found yet.  
View Quote

FV-SR is the way to go.  My action was a little rough but after you clean it and put a few rounds down the pipe, it smooths right out.  Mine feels like butter and I've only had it a few months.

I replaced the stock with the Boyds Tacticool (like most people do) and it's one sweet bolt gun.  I ordered mine from budsgunshop.com for an amazing price and I'm so glad I did.

10/10 would recommend

P.S. if you want to spend some more coin, I've heard good things about CZ's
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, I had a Savage FV-SR, and while it shot well - the stock is crap, and the mags are a weak link on that gun.

I went with the Ruger Americam Rimfire because the stock (while not perfect) is much better than the Savage, and it uses 10/22 mags (something I already had a bunch of).

Mu buddy has a CZ with the factory threaded barrel (sporting stock - not the tacticool one), and it's a very nice option also.

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I own the CZ455 tacticool and would highly recommend it.  I like it because it comes threaded from the factory, and you can do quick barrel changes to Lija barrels or other calibers like the 22mag or 17HMR.  I haven't handled or shot the Savage rifles so I can't say much for them but I know my local matches are dominated by CZ's, Anschutz, and KIDD rifles for a reason.  I'd highly recommend any of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
If not the CZ then how about a Sako Quad?

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What is your budget?  Does that include sights?

What is your intended purpose for the rifle?

Without this type of info, and anything else you'd care to share, it is extremely hard to make a recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My local rimfire matches are dominated by CZ 455 and 452. They are great little rifles. They are like a 3/4 scale Mauser, and much nicer quality than the Savages (no offense). You will not find a nicer rimfire in the $500 and under range.

Get the Tacticool. It's everything you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: icedragonmx] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Essayons:
You could do worse than a CZ-455.  Maybe the CZ 455 Tacticool Supressor Ready model?  I own a CZ-452 and it's my favorite gun to shoot.  Love that thing.

If your budget allows it, consider Anschutz.  The 1727 F AV HB looks especially cool (except for the price):

System: Match 54 Fortner "Straight Pull" action repeater, 5020 two-stage trigger, satin blued receiver with blued barrel.
Barrel Length: 18" Heavy-weight tapered barrel, threaded 1/2" x 28 tpi, counter-bored crown.
Delivered with cleaning rod guide and hard case
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By icedragonmx:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/icedragonmx/2016%20Adventures/2016%20Shooting/Nov%2020-2016/1727F_zpsynmsttgd.jpg

What kind of glass to you have on that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/icedragonmx/2016%20Adventures/2016%20Shooting/Nov%2020-2016/1727F_zpsynmsttgd.jpg

It is a March FFP 3-24x52 Mil/Mil scope on talley rings with the option for the clip on NV I just wish we could have suppressors here
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I doubt you'll go wrong with any of the suggestions.  

The Savage Mk2 FV-SR was my choice - the stock is a piece of junk and was replaced by a Boyd's Tacticool a very short time later.  There are a few other Savage models that have a similar stock from the factory.  The trigger is pretty good and the action does improve with use - they have a pretty solid following on the rimfire boards including some DIY tricks to make them better.

I don't think I recall reading a single person who spoke poorly of CZ 452's or similar models.  I don't have any experience with them, but I'd be giving the CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool a very close look if I were starting over - it's not that much more when you figure the cost of the rifle, stock, bottom metal, and some of your time.  

Obviously, there are some more expensive options that I'll leave for others to offer advice about.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive  got a pair of the Savage MKII-FV-SRs, currently half ass looking for a American Rimfire Predator because of the magazines.

No regrets with the Savage's, but I dont care for the mags.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:12:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#13]
I've got a Savage FV-SR in the Tacticool stock.  Great gun.  Accurate.  

If I had to start over today I'd get this CZ.  Threaded and already in a Manners stock.  Ready to go, right out of the box.

CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer Camo

The Ruger American is another option to look at if you don't want to spend the coin on the CZ.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#14]
little off topic but i wonder if savage will come out with new stocks for the 22lr lineup.  After seeing the new 17hrm
NM there seems to be a few different models 22lr included.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy a different FV-SR. You will just be chasing your tail otherwise, unless you want to go the CZ 455 route.

Savage is flat out the best value when it comes to a bolt .22 host.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Ruger American Rimfire Modle 8334
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my 455. It easily holds under 1/2" at 50 yards with American Eagle.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Remington 40X converted to a repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqJ1EPKmtU
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: icedragonmx] [#20]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Remington 40X converted to a repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqJ1EPKmtU
View Quote

Nice Rifle! I still like the fortner action better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUZvhf7YuM  

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice Rifle! I still like the fortner action better...
View Quote

Sweet.  I rarely shoot my 1827 cause putting a scope on is such a pain in the ass.

What rings are those?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Hoser:

Sweet.  I rarely shoot my 1827 cause putting a scope on is such a pain in the ass.

What rings are those?
View Quote

Thanks, I cheated the whole scope issue with my 1727F 22lr action in a 1827F stock. I use the Talley UL rings in high as seen here - http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Anschutz/1-Anschutz-1727-(High)-(1).aspx

I used the Accuracy International dovetail mounts when shooting the 1827F action as I could cantilever the mount forward on the action. It works great on the 1827F but I like the new 1727F 22lr more!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a cz 455 precision trainer.

Feels total quality, looks like a bench gun but it's not, it's actually surprisingly light for the size.

Having not shot it yet, I would at least say take a look at one. They are awesome and feel perfect in hand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top