Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2016 9:25:27 PM EDT
Never having bedded one (but I have done a few Remington 700s with good results) what am I going to screw up? Are there any little spots that are going to give me trouble? I think I'm going to do mine this weekend. It's a Lux FWIW. I'm having problems with the gun grouping really well when I put the bag on the front action screw, but terribly when the bag is on the end of the fore end. I'm hoping bedding solves this problem.

Or maybe I should just open up the barrel channel a bit and bed around the front action screw? The main thing I want is better consistency. It shoots pretty well as it sits.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dragunov:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gr3pkOIm_gI was watching this video and he describes the stock as having a "bakelite" material rather than a typically softer polymer. Is that how your stock is? Might make opening up the channel trickier. You might just add some pillars to the stock before bedding to raise the action up a little so the barrel clears the stock without needing to relieve the channel material.

View Quote

Mine has a wood stock. I have a nice inletting tool for wood stocks, so that part is easy. Pillar bedding one doesn't seem too easy though.

After looking at it really close I think I'll just stick clay in anything that looks like it could possibly lock the action and stock together and give it a shot. Hopefully I can do it after work some day this week. I still have resin and hardener laying around, I just need to find some more release agent.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I pillar bedded my 452 American and it wasn't too difficult at all.
I opened up the inletting at least 1/8" so the bedding compound would have more than a skim coat, and it really stiffened up the stock. There is no compound foreward of the action, so the (floated) fore stock still has a fare bit of flex. It doesn't take much pressure to flex it enough to contact the barrel (muscling a sling for example), so I might carve a channel in the barrel channel and bed in a hardened steel rod to really stiffen it up. But that's a low priority as it shoots great now (won my last benchrest match).

Id say it was definitely worth it.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By airsix:

I pillar bedded my 452 American and it wasn't too difficult at all.

I opened up the inletting at least 1/8" so the bedding compound would have more than a skim coat, and it really stiffened up the stock. There is no compound foreward of the action, so the (floated) fore stock still has a fare bit of flex. It doesn't take much pressure to flex it enough to contact the barrel (muscling a sling for example), so I might carve a channel in the barrel channel and bed in a hardened steel rod to really stiffen it up. But that's a low priority as it shoots great now (won my last benchrest match).

Id say it was definitely worth it.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/airsix_photo/DIY/f49bea56d602b72e55c6c2d276610fb0_zpsaykrugxx.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get the pillars at?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just made the pillars from steel rod (turned and center drilled on a small lathe). I don't know if the Lux is set up the same as the American, but on the American the action screws both pass through the trigger guard. Because of this the pillars don't need a shoulder. Bed the trigger guard, and sandwich the pillars between the action and trigger guard. If you don't have access to a lathe you could use cut pieces of DOM tubing perhaps. Some guys on rimfire central are even using brass hose barb fittings cut and filed to fit.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By airsix:

I just made the pillars from steel rod (turned and center drilled on a small lathe). I don't know if the Lux is set up the same as the American, but on the American the action screws both pass through the trigger guard. Because of this the pillars don't need a shoulder. Bed the trigger guard, and sandwich the pillars between the action and trigger guard. If you don't have access to a lathe you could use cut pieces of DOM tubing perhaps. Some guys on rimfire central are even using brass hose barb fittings cut and filed to fit.

View Quote

I saw the barb fitting on Rimfire Central. I'll have too look into it.

I don't have access to a lathe or anything like that. The best thing I can do is have a machinist I know make them for me, but he'd have to do it at his job not as a side project. That could be somewhat expensive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
there are always videos posted on this and hobby mills are very inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:39:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bossco14] [#8]
Deleat
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually just finished my 455 last night. It was very tedious work but having never done one before this one I don't think it was too bad. I got the pillars off eBay for about $20 bucks. Total materials list was a 1/2" Forstner bit, a 7/8" wooden dowel and 60 grit sandpaper for opening the barrel channel, a Miles Gilbert Bedrock bedding kit and a 9/16 tap. I did the pillars on the drill press and shot it after doing those and there was a substantial improvement so I'm hoping to get a little better after fully bedding it. This was a Boyds Pro Varmint stock.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Poop3rscoop3r:

Mine has a wood stock. I have a nice inletting tool for wood stocks, so that part is easy. Pillar bedding one doesn't seem too easy though.

After looking at it really close I think I'll just stick clay in anything that looks like it could possibly lock the action and stock together and give it a shot. Hopefully I can do it after work some day this week. I still have resin and hardener laying around, I just need to find some more release agent.
View Quote
CLear shoe polish or paste car wax will work for a
Release agent.  I was told to use it instead of the release agent in the
acraglass kit.   I have used both apply, buff, apply second coat to make sure you cover every thing. Buff lightly.   Bed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]
You should go to the Rimfirecentral.com website - all you want to know about CZs, e.g., trigger springs, bedding, etc.

By the way - 3/8 threaded lamp tube, you can get a 3" piece from the hardware store for less than $2.  I measured, cut 1/32 shorter than stock thickness, then used a small metal dry-wall moly-bolt inside of the lamp tube to screw it into the receiver screwholes.  Fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
For a pillar I used a male 5/8 to 3/8 barbed hose fitting from Home Depot. I cut off the threaded end and sanded it flat using a drill press and a sanding disk. For bedding material I used standard JB Weld and silicone spray for release agent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top