Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2016 3:23:54 PM EDT
Bought the CZ last month on a whim, and shoot it every chance I get.  Ran across some posts about the Athlon scope company and this scope->
http://athlonoptics.com/product/talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

But this reticle reminds me of my Vortex 2.5-10x32 reticle I like at roughly 1/3x the cost of the Vortex->

So my question is, any users?  I'm reading everything I can about this company and scope.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Update to my own post.
Clear glass and EXCELLENT reticle.  Very usable and a pleasure to shoot.

But the turrets need work.  Kind of soft and vague sometimes.

I have since bought 2x more outfitting a T3x Varmint and an 18" barreled AR.  And ordered it's big brother 6-18x50 for a CZ527 Varmint in .204.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the Athlon 4-14x and the 6-24x.  I think the 4-14x is the better scope.  The eye box is unforgiving in the 6-24x once you get above…. 14x.  The range focus is also a bit coarse and can be hard to dial in.   I own a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x FFP and have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x both scopes can be cranked up to 24x without too much fuss.   I do think the Athlon 4-14x is a really good scope and a great value.  I'm sure I'll end up with another.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Scope on rifle

Scope is a fantastic optic for this rifle.  GREAT reticle, good glass, parallax adjustable down to ~15 yards.  
Solid 'Buy Now' recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the Argos BTR 8-34 on my CZ455 tacticool.  For the money they are great scopes, but if I were to do it over again I'd save my money for a sightron.  The reticle is awesome, as well as the features for the price point.  But the turrets are mushy (even though now they have come out and said if you clean the turrets of the factory grease it will fix it), they don't have a zero stop (also they have a fix by using a washer, I've done it and dont prefer it, it makes the turret really tight when you move down to your zero), the glass past 24x is somewhat usable at best, I can't see my own 22 holes at 100 yds.  I can say they are awesome with the warranty, my first scope had alot of issues, the magnification ring wouldn't move past 20x, the parallax wouldn't adjust, and the turrets weren't repeatable.  I sent it in and they promptly sent me a new one in return.  I want to give the Argos BTR 6-24 on my wifes gun to see if its any better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
With a reticle that busy, are you guys still cranking the turrets?  Seems like you'd zero and hold off? 

Thanks for the reviews and impressions.  I've seen this brand mentioned several times but haven't heard anything about them.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#6]
I've been meaning to pick one up for my Savage FV-SR.  They could be had for $250 a month ago, but it looks like they're back up to $300.  Also, there was a member that did a tracking test on his and ended up returning it.  I've also been looking at the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 with the G2DMR reticle, of course it more than double the price of the Athlon..  

Athlon Don't Track
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cixelsyd:
With a reticle that busy, are you guys still cranking the turrets?  Seems like you'd zero and hold off? 

Thanks for the reviews and impressions.  I've seen this brand mentioned several times but haven't heard anything about them.

CHRIS
View Quote

I dont typically hold over unless I have too.  In my local matches they dont have us jump around to different distances very often so there,s not need to hold over.  But when I have held over its done pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good. I just wish they didn't that gap in between the center and the extension lines in the reticle.
I hope you like it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MDStroup:
Looks good. I just wish they didn't that gap in between the center and the extension lines in the reticle.
I hope you like it.
View Quote

I do.
The reticle on the 4-14 is my favorite.  I also have the 6-24x on a .260 CTR and a CZ527 Varmint, and prefer the floating cross hair.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Starzec] [#10]
I just picked up an Argos 6-24 and 1st impressions are very good. The side focus and zoom ring are just as smooth as my Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12. The turrets aren't as positive but they aren't mushy either and they have audible clicks. The reticle looks outstanding and the illumination looks good (not daylight visible). It gets a little dark around 24x but it was still reasonably sharp. It seems more solid and well finished than I expected for the price.  I'm praying that it tracks correctly because it looks like a perfect scope for my Savage FV-SR.

Edit: It passed the box test perfectly and tracked perfectly up and down a plumb verticle line. The scope was squared to the base with feeler gauges and the rifle was leveled on a bag and it was perfectly square with a plumb line. I couldn't detect any cant at all in the reticle. Very impressed for the price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I had an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x. And didn't like it much. The parallax adjustment was gross and it got super blurry above 24x. Also it didn't track, you dail elevation and it would pick up windage. Then in a match it decide to shit the bed further. You'd dial elevation and it wouldn't move. Then three rounds in it would jump to position. I resorted to treating it like an ACOG and just slapped the shit out of repeatly after messing with knobs and that seemed to work. I will say that Athlon did replace the scope but I had already boughten a Bushnell DMR and when the new Athlon came I sold it without unboxing it. So maybe I got a lemon maybe not. YMMV

-Poptart
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks identical to my falcon menace 4-14x44ir, except the reticle. Mine has the b-20 reticle.

I like it a lot. My only complaint would be that the turrets aren't great for counting clicks by feel, I have to watch. It tracks well and for $399 for a reliable mil/mil ffp with an illuminated reticle, 2 sun shades, flip open scope caps I'm really happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top