Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2014 11:48:55 PM EDT
For those that don't know, I'm half Finnish.  I got this in the mail from a good friend of mine from Finland.  He's very active in the Finnish sniping community, a very accomplished precision shooter.  I've been working with them since 2005.

As I opened the box, I was blown away with what I was seeing, since I can read and understand this.

Anybody want to take a guess at what it is.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike327] [#1]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
For those that don't know, I'm half Finnish.  I got this in the mail from a good friend of mine from Finland.  He's very active in the Finnish sniping community, a very accomplished precision shooter.  I've been working with them since 2005.

As I opened the box, I was blown away with what I was seeing, since I can read and understand this.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/2014-12-31182640_zpsa9b5c185.jpg

Anybody want to take a guess at what it is.....
View Quote

If I had to make a wild guess...related to this dude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
But what's the detail?

Holy cow. I had never heard of this guy before. Badass!

How accurate is this?

Winter War 1939-1940
Sharpshooter
Simo Hayhan
An original fired cartridge case
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Actual brass from the White Death's sniping? Holy crap!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lokjell:
View Quote

That is correct.

So several of the active Finnish snipers went and interviewed Häyhä right before he died in the early 2000's, basically picking his brain for all the information they could gather from his experiences. As they conversed, he suggested, "Why don't I take you to the areas and show you...."

So they drive out to the historical front, in the area of operations he had fought in, and he took them to some of the positions he had occupied when he was set up in his Sniper Operations Sector. As he pointed out over his fields of fire from the exact locations, these guys start looking around on the ground, and found several of his spent cases. Keep in mind that Häyhä was empowered by his Company Commander to go operate alone, so during that 105-day period in the winter, not a lot of other people would really have ended up in these specific places. It's a heavily forested region, frozen much of the year.

They took the cases, and made these plaques with them, with an authenticity card on the back. I have been traveling there since 1979. I have competed in, and supported their sniper competitions since 2007, and have found many lifelong friends there that are really good dudes. This was an unexpected, but very memorable gift to receive, considering the history behind it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]

That is correct.

So several of the active Finnish snipers went and interviewed Häyhä right before he died in the early 2000's, basically picking his brain for all the information they could gather from his experiences. As they conversed, he suggested, "Why don't I take you to the areas and show you...."

So they drive out to the historical front, in the area of operations he had fought in, and he took them to some of the positions he had occupied when he was set up in his Sniper Operations Sector. As he pointed out over his fields of fire from the exact locations, these guys start looking around on the ground, and found several of his spent cases. Keep in mind that Häyhä was empowered by his Company Commander to go operate alone, so during that 105-day period in the winter, not a lot of other people would really have ended up in these specific places. It's a heavily forested region, frozen much of the year.

They took the cases, and made these plaques with them, with an authenticity card on the back. I have been traveling there since 1979. I have competed in, and supported their sniper competitions since 2007, and have found many lifelong friends there that are really good dudes. This was an unexpected, but very memorable gift to receive, considering the history behind it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lokjell:

That is correct.

Very cool!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat.  The sites cut into the top of the plaque is a nice touch.  That's what I see anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, you have good friends!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
That is absolutely amazing to have that piece of history. You're a fortunate person.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
History you can TOUCH! So very cool, OP...you have some good friends.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#9]
That's amazing! !!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sd_norske:
Neat.  The sites cut into the top of the plaque is a nice touch.  That's what I see anyway.
View Quote

That's the Finnish Defense Forces Coat of Arms:

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:08:44 AM EDT
[#11]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is beyond just cool. Far far beyond.

That is cvlt stuff right there..  Extreme WOW.. the white deaths spent casing...

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sd_norske:

That's the Finnish Defense Forces Coat of Arms:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Suomen_Puolustusvoimien_tornileijona.svg/110px-Suomen_Puolustusvoimien_tornileijona.svg.png

That make more sense. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
cool as shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tigermilk:
cool as shit.
View Quote
You can say that again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#15]
That's about one of the coolest gifts ever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome gift...
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Amazing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#19]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Amazing gift!! Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
That is pretty cool....
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey wow...I was told about that dude growing up in Helsinki.
Olen Suomesta ja sanon sinulle erittäin mukavaa. Its about all I got....what a trip.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#25]
That is very awesome!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cwm1150] [#26]
Very nice indeed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#27]
So are you going to try to clean it up and reload it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I have somehow inherited 2 Finnish Mosins since getting that plaque.

An M28 and an M28/30.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#29]
That s very nice, I'm Jealous.

A Finn Mosin is on my list.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Incredible piece of history.  Thanks for sharing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top