Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2017 11:08:21 PM EDT
Not sure if I'm gonna ditch my laminated cards just yet, but I haven't seen a lot of visibility on this tool, in this discussion board

Product link from Garmin, $600, 3-5 weeks out at this time

Applied Ballistics Garmin® Foretrex® 701

Garmin® Foretrex® 701 with AB - Main Display & Quick Edit Feature

These aren't the only youtube videos on this product, but I don't see a need to saturate this with videos that you can look up yourself
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
They sent me an email on that thing a few weeks ago, I almost tried to buy it immediately.  I then calmed down started thinking rationally.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
like most digital devices, it can be replicated with an analog system.  in this case that analog system could be called (I dunno) "waterproof paper"

honestly, not sure what they're aiming at here, a range card or target card would do the same and be less susceptible to the elements, energy failure, and physical damage

while useful for some, I think it could be used effectively as a reference for spotters, but a good spotter could do the same with a clipboard or flipchart
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tweeter:
like most digital devices, it can be replicated with an analog system.  in this case that analog system could be called (I dunno) "waterproof paper"

honestly, not sure what they're aiming at here, a range card or target card would do the same and be less susceptible to the elements, energy failure, and physical damage

while useful for some, I think it could be used effectively as a reference for spotters, but a good spotter could do the same with a clipboard or flipchart
View Quote
+1
I hadn't heard of it before and after watching the video I understood why.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tweeter:

View Quote
That is what I was thinking, what the hell would I use if for?
I have gps and a compass and AB Mobile on my phone, I have a Kestrel, I have a Garmin and an actual compass, have pretty damn good DOPE for most conditions I would shoot.
Even have a Wristcoach to have quick access to my drop cards.

Not only that but I would rather have multiple devices. If one goes down all is not lost, I still have multiple puzzle pieces to work with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than having a stage card ready available I'm pretty meh on it.  I know a guy who has one and he seems to like it, but I don't see myself running out to get one any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Only benefit I really see is for military, or anyone really, who already uses a Garmin 401.  Provides a backup system (or primary I suppose) on a device already being used.

They should've included atmospherics on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]

There is a module for atmospherics, but as I've been told, its supposed to be placed near your shooting position, rather than on you, due to your body messing with temperatures and such.

Frankly I'll stick to my kestrel with onboard AB, and my cards.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one I'm writing a review article for.

First impressions, just like any other AB device, the UI for the ballistics bit is for shitty (my personal opinion on style, it works just fine), the math is solid, the non-ballistics oriented capabilities of the device work with the level of quality their maker is known for. The wrist strap will be too small for a lot of guys. I'm fairly small wristed and it's less than 1 inch from being maxed out so if you're a fatty plan on getting a longer velcro strap or not putting it on your wrist. Also, in the prone I've not found a way to wear it so I can read it from a firing position, same as any other wrist mounted ballistics thingy.

I'll be using it in a match tomorrow. Check out my twitter feed for some recent pics: @ballistic_xlr and check out my article on LongRangeHunting.com next month.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
So we took it to a match and I set it up for my metallic silhouette coach's long range precision gun and compared his results against what he's gotten the way he normally likes to do things (notebook and pen). He placed in the top 10 (I took 5th) of 35 shooters and picked up on his average score a bit which I attribute to him not having to interpolate between lots of written DOPE entries. The range card feature proved to be easy enough for him (a total friggin luddite) to use very basically with literally 1 minute of orientation. It handled the powder fine dirt and grit well. The one big problem we had was he somehow tripped the range card from drops/drift to velocity/drift which took a minute to figure out and fix in the field which would have caused him to DNF on the 2nd to last stage if he didn't have a backup. Instead of the DNF he broke out the notebook again and started on the stage while I went to work on the Garmin getting it back to showing drops. Fortunately I got it fixed quickly and he transitioned back from the notebook to the Garmin for his 2nd-6th shots and finished the stage clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top