Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2017 1:25:22 PM EDT
I'm going to be getting a new precision bolt action rifle in the near future.  I live in Florida (high humidity) about 12 miles from the ocean...  The new rifle's finish is simple bluing and I am thinking that I would like to re-finish the rifle (barrel, receiver, bolt) with something more resistant to the environment.  I have done some research on Cerakote and little on DLC.  I like the description of DLC but Cerakote appliers seem more widely available...  The cost to Cerakote a rifle as I described is ~$200 give or take...  I can't find anything about the cost of DLC.

Does anyone have any experience with either?  Any recommendations as to which finish is the better choice (all things considered)?  Anyone have an idea of the cost of DLC and/or know any good appliers with firearms experience?

Any other thoughts or recommendations???

Thanx,

- R -
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YO_Doc] [#1]
I had my MWS Cerakoted 6 years ago by Iron Ridge Arms in Longmont Co, the finish is still holding strong after all these years and many thousands of rounds, nights spent under trees, in the freezing cold, or the blistering sun. It is even holding up on a suppressor that I had coated.
More recently I just had a new precision bolt gun Cerakoted by Pacnor when they fit the action to my barrel.

Over all I have been very happy with the Cerakote finish, it has made my guns a whole lot easier to clean and I like the dull finish that resulted from the process.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Send it to black-t.com  They do excellent work and the finish is highly corrosion resistant.  Prices are good too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for corrosion resistance, then cerakote is for you.  DLC is a tough finish, but doesn't offer much in corrosion resistance. Cerocoat is layer of paint between the elements and the metal, but where ever you get it done, make sure they know how to prep the surface correctly or it'll rust underneath the cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: policeman] [#4]
I like duracoat myself.  I did it to 2 barrels in 2011 and I have had 0 issues with corrosion.   I had it bead blasted and that was it.  Sprayed it with a modelers airbrush gun.  

PoPo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top