Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 7:40:55 PM EDT
SOCOM Looks at 6.5mm

Special Operations Command is exploring a new caliber for its semi-automatic sniper rifle needs and upgrading one of its bolt-action sniper rifle systems.

Maj. Aron Hauquitz told Military Times Tuesday that SOCOM is in the preliminary stages of exploring a sniper rifle chambered in the 6.5 mm caliber. The two commercially available rounds being evaluated are the .260 Remington and the 6.5 mm Creedmoor.

Research shows that both rounds will “stay supersonic longer, have less wind drift and better terminal performance than 7.62 mm ammunition,” SOCOM officials said.

Hauquitz said that the research is focused on the popularity and availability of the cartridge, and finding out the benefits and drawbacks of the different rounds.

He didn’t provide a specific date or timeline for when the new rifle would be in operators’ hands but said they would have a better idea regarding the caliber later this year.

“We’re purely in the exploratory phase,” Hauquitz said. “We’re trying to see if we can take a weapon that is 7.62 and give it greater range, accuracy and lethality.”

Hauquitz said the 6.5 mm exploration came out of preliminary results of the Small Arms Ammunition Configuration study, which evaluates for the military commercially available ammunition, emerging ammunition capabilities, and ammunition technologies for conventional and non-conventional calibers
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
At the same time, SOCOM is working to develop polymer ammunition in 6.5 mm to reduce the load for operators, Hauquitz said. Research is showing a one-third weight reduction for 7.62 mm ammunition, allowing the 6.5 mm to come in at 5.56 mm weight ranges.

While both the rifle and the ammunition are being developed together, Hauquitz said the polymer portion of the research would not delay potential fielding of a 6.5 mm rifle.  
View Quote
Military Times
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Does one or the other perform better in autoloaders? I imagine shoulder angle has a role in it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beneviolence:
Does one or the other perform better in autoloaders? I imagine shoulder angle has a role in it.
View Quote
Initially there were a lot of claims to this effect, that the .308 shoulder is better for feeding, but I haven't seen or experienced any data to support this.

I know in 6.5 Grendel it isn't, as 30° shoulder in that cartridges doesn't cause any problems I have seen.

I do wonder about the effect of nose-heavy cartridges having FTFeed issues due to imbalance with the cartridge stack in the magazine as it lifts.

I would like to see some Operational Test and Evaluation across the USMC Scout Sniper Instructor Course at Quantico, SF Sniper Course at Bragg, US Army Sniper School at Benning, 2nd MARDIV Scout Sniper Course at Lejeune, 1st MARDIV Scout Sniper Course at Pendleton, 1st Group's Sniper Committee, 10th Group's Sniper Committee, 7th Group's Sniper Committee, 5th Group's Sniper Committee, 3rd Group's Sniper Committee, and 75th Ranger Regiment Sniper Platoons.

It would be interesting to see:

M110/Mk.11 uppers in both .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 Grendel uppers in 16" Recce, 18" SPR, and 12.5" Commando offerings

Short action bolt guns with AI chassis like they currently use for several different cartridges chambered in both 6.5-08 cartridges.

You could run most of your training in the school houses on 6.5 Grendel because of barrel life, where you would get twice the life of a .308, with way better hit potential, where the shooters can actually see their own hits, but still have less wind drift.

Run the majority of the round count that way, then step up to the M110/Mk.11/SR25s with .260 or CM uppers for 800yds and farther into ELR territory.

Use gas guns for mover range days, and let the students choose what they will take for record fire and the Culmination Exercises.

I think a lot of people would be surprised to see which rifles people would prefer.

Get Geissele involved with the coatings, using Geissele triggers.

LaRue is already making .260 Rem uppers and rifles for SR25 receiver cut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If NATO doesn't go along, US won't either. 6.5 would be a big benefit in either 6.5 creedmoor ot 260. Like kicking a mule to move, near impossible. The ballistics is there, no doubt. Plus a little less weight. guess we will see down the road. I tried the 6.5 creedmoor round to see if it would replace my 308. It didn't. Decided to go 338 LM for better distance. Sold the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
If NATO doesn't go along, US won't either. 6.5 would be a big benefit in either 6.5 creedmoor ot 260. Like kicking a mule to move, near impossible. The ballistics is there, no doubt. Plus a little less weight. guess we will see down the road. I tried the 6.5 creedmoor round to see if it would replace my 308. It didn't. Decided to go 338 LM for better distance. Sold the rifle.
View Quote
Socom doesn't need nato to make its decisions. This isn't big green.

I'd be shocked if KAC, LMT, and LaRue didn't have rifles out for testing. Hell I get a .264 scar is out there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Frank Galli @ SnipersHide has written in the past that some SOCOM units have used 260 Rem with a Black Hills load for a few years now, to great success.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HuntinBuddy80] [#7]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

You could run most of your training in the school houses on 6.5 Grendel because of barrel life, where you would get twice the life of a .308, with way better hit potential, where the shooters can actually see their own hits, but still have less wind drift.

Run the majority of the round count that way, then step up to the M110/Mk.11/SR25s with .260 or CM uppers for 800yds and farther into ELR territory.
View Quote
I think that would be a really feasible idea. Those guys shoot enough that barrel life and getting consistent dope rifle to rifle would be tricky if you were running a big 6.5 hard a lot. Running the Grendel's until you needed the range for the ELR stuff it would save a lot of wear and tear. The .260s are out there, and I was told they were being well received.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
View Quote
I honestly think the US doesn't cares what NATO thinks. We run 300 win mag sniper rifle and the rest of the EU dudes run 338 lapua. I'm there big sniper rifles. Sniper rifles are kinda special category anyway. Seeing that your not requesting 10s of 1000s of round for them. And generally don't share ammo with other common caliber platforms.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Regiment is rumored to be rocking .260s. I have heard some limited rumors that they are even LaRue rifles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Regiment is rumored to be rocking .260s. I have heard some limited rumors that they are even LaRue rifles.
View Quote
I heard that the Regiment has been rocking LaRue's .260s for over a year.  By chance, do you have any idea what ammunition they may be using?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
It was never mentioned
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top