Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 12:15:47 PM EDT
I have all the 308's I need in gas and bolt + 6.5 Grendel + 556's, but this cartridge is shouting at me - it shoots like a laser , with a good barrel / action setup its a seriously competitive + 1k yards round, low recoil and I reload everything anyway.

And it will make a great bench type gun + I have a dedicated 6.5 can

Disclaimer - I have never shot one , only read about the cartridge - don't care about barrel life , although its supposedly not as bad as say 6.5 Saum/CM.

Enlighten me
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the cartridge but did not opt for It 8 years ago.  At the time it was pick one of three; that, 260 Remington or the creedmoor.    All damned close.   At the time creedmoor was quite new and I wondered if it would last and the fact that dies and brass were expensive and from limited sources.  The Lapua was also expensive to get into; reamers, only expensive Redding dies and only relatively hard to Source brass.

I took the easy easy route and went with the 260.   Cheap domestic.  Issue that was an annoyance was mag length limits to chamber length.  As I understand it the
Lapua is perfectly set up at a few percent less performance.  Well that and the cool cartridge name makes me wish I went with that.  

Today I think Lapua is the way to go.  The 6mm neck down catches my eye too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't care about barrel life, might as well go with the 6x47 lapua.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The 6.5CM is the definite winner in this race.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Good round, good performance, but the Creedmoor has become king.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrDover] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Creedmoor can do anything the x47 can and offer relatively inexpensive factory ammo is needed. Also will go a little faster.
View Quote
Especially with the new lapua small primer brass.....selling off all my 6.5x47L stuff...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:52:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dttheliman] [#7]
Originally Posted By DrDover:
Especially with the new lapua small primer brass.....selling off all my 6.5x47L stuff...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Creedmoor can do anything the x47 can and offer relatively inexpensive factory ammo is needed. Also will go a little faster.
OK then my head starts hurting because there are rifles in 260 rem that are just as inherently accurate , but when you look at what is winning competition its not the CM , not the 260 its the 6.5x47 - now what? because apparently the CM can't do what the lapua is doing (not that I can either :-))
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:58:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#8]
Originally Posted By dttheliman:

OK then my head starts hurting because there are rifles in 260 rem that are just as inherently accurate , but when you look at what is winning competition its not the CM , not the 260 its the 6.5x47 - now what? because apparently the CM can't do what the lapua is doing (not that I can either :-))
http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Most-Popular-Long-Range-Rifle-Cartridge.png
View Quote
Don't worry about what that chart says.  The guys winning aren't winning because the round they are shooting.  The guys who are winning are mostly shooting rounds that can be made from Lapua brass.  There are some other good companies coming along as well.  They also aren't winning because of their brass, it's just what they tend to be using.  I shot a match last weekend and a large deal of the people in that survey were there shooting, and there was still a ton of other brass in the piles.

Any cartridge on that list can be competitive, and chasing the perfect one won't make you shoot any better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrDover] [#9]

http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Most-Popular-Long-Range-Rifle-Cartridge.png
View Quote
Maybe because its just the trendy cartridge of the month in the PRS crowd ? You asked for opinions I gave my experience. Sorry my personal experience disagrees with the latest trend in one specific series. 6.5cm makes a lot of sense to me and with the advent of high quality Lapua small primer brass for reloading and high quality reasonable match ammo. Ever priced 6.5x47L loaded ammo ? I am not a PRS shooter. I am not even a good shooter. But I do shoot and have experience with both cartridges. Your post also tries to put the barrel life of 6.5cm in the same group as 6.5saum and that is simply wrong. 6.5cm is MUCH closesr to  6.5x47L than it is to 6.5saum.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Maybe because its just the trendy cartridge of the month in the PRS crowd ? You asked for opinions I gave my experience. Sorry my personal experience disagrees with the latest trend in one specific series. 6.5cm makes a lot of sense to me and with the advent of high quality Lapua small primer brass for reloading and high quality reasonable match ammo. Ever priced 6.5x47L loaded ammo ? I am not a PRS shooter. I am not even a good shooter. But I do shoot and have experience with both cartridges. Your post also tries to put the barrel life of 6.5cm in the same group as 6.5saum and that is simply wrong. 6.5cm is MUCH closesr to  6.5x47L than it is to 6.5saum.
View Quote
@DRDover
Absolutely not disagreeing with you - only my limited grasp of what various 6.5's are around - and who is doing what with which - all advice is valuable, and I appreciate your response - wasn't trying to be pissy just want a new rifle and only want to cry once / buy once  so looking at all the options out there . Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#11]
@DRDover
Absolutely not disagreeing with you - only my limited grasp of what various 6.5's are around - and who is doing what with which - all advice is valuable, and I appreciate your response - wasn't trying to be pissy just want a new rifle and only want to cry once / buy once  so looking at all the options out there . Thanks
View All Quotes

@DRDover
There is very little downside to the Creedmor.  Barrel life doesn't matter enough between the x47 Creedmoor or 260 to worry about that. There are Multiple brass manufacturers and a couple of them being very high quality and solid options for factory ammo.  The x47 is a great round, but at this point creedmoor is king.  If you want a real laser do a 6mm with 110 smks.  I'm beyond 1000 yards before my elevation knob crosses 7 mils.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrDover] [#13]
@DRDover
View Quote
do you only want to reload ? if so then 6.5x47L it is. If you want to shoot with out having to reload then 6.5cm is the way to go. The new 6.5cm Lapua small primer brass brings the heat on the 6.5x47L. The advantage I found with the 6.5x47L is the huge accuracy node. The lapua 6.5cm brass has shown as much promise with my reloading. I just don't have time reload and do much testing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]

That's not really true anymore. You can load the Creedmoor as easy as the x47 and you get the option of using factory ammo if you wanted or needed. It was always said in the past when comparing the x47 or .260 to the Creedmoor when there was only Hornady brass for the Creedmoor and some people didn't like it but now that statement needs to leave the internet as there are many more brass options and you can load the Creedmoor as easy as the others.
View Quote
and that is the reason I am ditching my 6.5x47L stuff. Sold off my rifle, brass and projectiles since I picked up the lapua 6.5cm brass... hornady brass sucks, the norma brass was a bit better, the lapua brass is my favorite so far....
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dttheliman] [#16]
That's not really true anymore. You can load the Creedmoor as easy as the x47 and you get the option of using factory ammo if you wanted or needed. It was always said in the past when comparing the x47 or .260 to the Creedmoor when there was only Hornady brass for the Creedmoor and some people didn't like it but now that statement needs to leave the internet as there are many more brass options and you can load the Creedmoor as easy as the others.
View All Quotes

do you only want to reload ? if so then 6.5x47L it is. If you want to shoot with out having to reload then 6.5cm is the way to go. The new 6.5cm Lapua small primer brass brings the heat on the 6.5x47L.
So for all of them - you can get decent brass , there are many many projectiles available and a huge amout of powders that work with each , lets take that a a given then for reloading all are equal'ish with component availability , still leaves caliber as a choice , until one of y'all suggested a 6mm - I have seen a high end 260 (think it was a GAP of some type high $$ rifle) perform very well like 5 rounds into a 1/4 Moa repeated over a benchrest target amazing, for those that shoot the x47 and those that shoot the CM what rifles are you using and what results do you get at distance , and what do you think the limits of each are?, there does seem to be much more available in CM, however unlike a noisy GD thread I am not getting both. 
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#17]
If you want one, just get it.

I don't regret mine at all. There are always newer and faster cartridges out there.

The functional difference between the 6.5cm and the x47 are pretty much non-existant.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#18]
doubletap
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]

So for all of them - you can get decent brass , there are many many projectiles available and a huge amout of powders that work with each , lets take that a a given then for reloading all are equal'ish with component availability , still leaves caliber as a choice , until one of y'all suggested a 6mm - I have seen a high end 260 (think it was a GAP of some type high $ rifle) perform very well like 5 rounds into a 1/4 Moa repeated over a benchrest target amazing, for those that shoot the x47 and those that shoot the CM what rifles are you using and what results do you get at distance , and what do you think the limits of each are?, there does seem to be much more available in CM, however unlike a noisy GD thread I am not getting both. 
View Quote
6.5cm. better velocity, equal accuracy, and cheap factory ammo that is easily 1/2moa in a quality rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]

So for all of them - you can get decent brass , there are many many projectiles available and a huge amout of powders that work with each , lets take that a a given then for reloading all are equal'ish with component availability , still leaves caliber as a choice , until one of y'all suggested a 6mm - I have seen a high end 260 (think it was a GAP of some type high $ rifle) perform very well like 5 rounds into a 1/4 Moa repeated over a benchrest target amazing, for those that shoot the x47 and those that shoot the CM what rifles are you using and what results do you get at distance , and what do you think the limits of each are?, there does seem to be much more available in CM, however unlike a noisy GD thread I am not getting both. 
View Quote
Equal accuracy. X47 is easier to find a load but load development isn't hard for either. The Creedmoor is Marginally easier to shoot at distance because it's a touch flatter. 6.5x47 is a little more efficient.  Neither one will make you look better.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
you mean like this?

the 3 of the 6.5's are all capable of the same accuracy. shooter and rifle are the more important factors in group size here.
logistics are the only real factors to consider between them. .260rem is easy to make out of any .308 based case.
lots of factory support for 6.5CM
not much of anything for the 6.5lapua despite sounding the most sexy
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]

I have been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor since 2008 in a GAP rifle that I had rebarreled by them twice. I also have a Crescent Customs Surgeon switch barrel 6.5 Creedmoor rebarreled by Patriot Valley Arms that I have two barrels for. All have shot great. I shoot a majority of factory Hornady ammo with the 140 AMAX and now the 140 ELD-M. Shoots easy 1/2 MOA. Don't shoot a lot of groups at distance as my range only goes to 400 yards but laid down after a match one day and shot an 8" 10 shot group at 1050 yards with my GAP rifle. Hornady brass is not garbage either. It works just fine and loads accurate ammo.

Bottom line is you need to make a decision. They all have quality components if you load but only one has relatively inexpensive factory match ammo if you needed it although now Hornady is loading .260 ammo with their 130 ELD-M bullet. Any of the 3 are close enough ballistically to not matter.

Crescent/PVA Surgeon
http://i.imgur.com/OSt3wzl.jpg

GAP
http://i.imgur.com/zCZrObu.jpg

400 yards with 2 lots of the 140  AMAX factory ammo
http://i.imgur.com/GxW5vF0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0k0QtPN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/42Q43pM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4IFXUCR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/id1rI2E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tMeNTiy.jpg
View Quote
Rob is the only factory ammo you shoot the hornady ? I have been shooting Prime lately with better results than the hornady.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top