Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2017 11:45:16 PM EDT
Researching what's out there for my first precision rifle build (I've shot to 700 yards with my Aero 308 and 6.5 Grendel).

I would like to complete the rifle for 1,500-2000.

Has anybody found a way to put a long action Savage in a chassis and be able to relatively easily change barrels/bolts eg. 300 win mag to 6.5 creedmoor?

The biggest issue that I can see is magazines. I'd like to be able to use AICS pattern mags.

I was thinking a block in long action mags then putting in short action followers and spring would be fair easy to do.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:12:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beneviolence] [#1]
You may have better luck with Tikkas; they're all built on long actions and the mags/bolt stop are just modified to accomodate it.

You could probably get a long action tikka chassis (if they make it) and bock out the magwell for the 6.5CM.

As for changing the barrel; use a bugnut or the like (Southern Precision Rifle, Patriot Valley Arms, or Solid Accuracy).

I wouldn't put much faith in continuously re-torquing barrels, but what do I know.

ETA: Oh, you've still got the issue with bolt face though; IIRC the 300WM and 6.5CM are going to have different diameters. Tikka bolt faces are NOT cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Maharlika74:
Researching what's out there for my first precision rifle build
I would like to complete the rifle for 1,500-2000.

<snip> 300 win mag to 6.5 creedmoor?
View Quote

Both of these die right after 1600 yards.
If you want a good chance at 2000, go 338LM.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
yes there are a few long action savage chassis on the market. I don't see why you couldn't modify a magpul aics pattern mag like your asking. you could add a bolt baffle and bolt face for the smaller cartridge you want to run. this will shorten the bolt throw and obviously give you the correct bolt face.

as for the 300wm and 2000yds. can it get there with the 215+ class.....yeah but if you want to maximize the platform I'd look at the 28 nosler throated for the heavies or a .338 edge II. the .338 lapua is a no go on the 110 action but the edge II can easily rival it.

I have 2 switch barrel savages. one short action for my little cartridges. and a long action that is for .308, .260 and 300WM is my next barrel in mind throated for the 215 hybrid or possibly the new 225 eld-m
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top