Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2017 9:41:27 AM EDT
I don't shoot a great deal, mostly only to sight in and at game.  My Armalite a10t was one hole accurate using Horndy 150gr bthp steel match.  Well the range I went to doesn't allow steel casings so I bought the 155gr American Gunner they had.  My groups open up to 4+ MOA. I was trying to sight in a new thermal and it was shooting all over the place.  I dare say this gun has fewer than 80 rounds through it.   Is it time to deep clean or do you think it was the ammo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The only answer is...........  Clean as Needed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably ammo, any number of things rather than the 80 rounds through the barrel. 
I don't get serious about anything(load dev. shooting groups, etc.)  until I have 80 rounds of fouling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It is unlikely a cleaning issue.  If you have time to spare, clean it.  

I was wasting time last weekend, so I cleaned 4 rifles.  At least I had something to show for my time.  

Good time to check your scope ring bolts and your gas rings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely put a couple hundred rounds through it.  Once you clean it, make sure it's fouled out (round count differs on every gun) before you try  to do any precision work.  If you're trying to see how well a rifle will shoot, i wouldn't be using a thermal.  Make sure it shoots how you want to before trying to sight in a thermal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top