Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 2:36:58 PM EDT
I am looking to a get my first bolt action that fires responsibly priced ammo.  All I have now is an AR-50 and I cant shoot it a lot of places.  I have been looking into both and they seem to be pretty equivalent.  Does anyone have experience with both?  I will be looking to shoot to a 1,000 yards.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Congressman] [#1]
Good thinking on the ammo costs.. I just got my Stealth in .338 and I'm about to drop $500 on the ammo parts I need for reloading (I already reload other calibers).. It's a little depressing

the gun looks great though, and reviews seem to be positive.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you considering the RPR?

The Savage LRP has some outstanding reviews as well. Will probably be my next gun. Comes in 6.5, which is what I want next.

Edit: The only downside of the Tikka IMO is the barrel length. Awesome gun though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Congressman:
Good thinking on the ammo costs.. I just got my Stealth in .338 and I'm about to drop $500 on the ammo parts I need for reloading (I already reload other calibers).. It's a little depressing

the gun looks great though, and reviews seem to be positive.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you considering the RPR?

The Savage LRP has some outstanding reviews as well. Will probably be my next gun. Comes in 6.5, which is what I want next.

Edit: The only downside of the Tikka IMO is the barrel length. Awesome gun though.
View Quote

Tikka came out with a 24" CTR btw
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:

Tikka came out with a 24" CTR btw
View Quote

That's awesome

My vote goes to 24" Tikka CTR
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Tikka.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go Tikka but I would buy from here and just get the 20" as I haven't found a better price anywhere.

I got my 308 from there and am very happy with it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got my 6.5CM from Whittaker guns for much cheaper than anywhere. Compared to a RPR but I couldn't justify the extra cost. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor last year. That rifle is awesome. Hitting small steel targets at 400yards. Took it out to 600yards as well.
I'm actually planning on getting the Stealth in .338 in August.
Stealth is supposed to be really nice. Jump all over that rifle. You won't be disappointed in a Savage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
This is actually a tough call as both are excellent choices.  

The Savage Stealth has a really great chassis system and uses more commonly available and cheaper  AIC/Magpul magazines.

That's all I got.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#10]
Go for the Tikka CTR 24". It's got the length and the action is so much smoother than the Savage. Downside is the OEM mags are normally priced at $120, but are butter smooth and built super solid. Savage builds a great product for the price, but I personally would want a better action, especially if you feel frisky and want to do a PRS match.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend also taking a look at the new Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5, its right at the same price point as the CTR, but you get a little more bang for you buck IMHO. It has adjustable length of pull and comb, uses AICS mags, and its built on the Rem 700 footprint to except all aftermarket stuff for the 700. Bergara has a 1-MOA guarantee too. Just food for thought
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eck:
I would recommend also taking a look at the new Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5, its right at the same price point as the CTR, but you get a little more bang for you buck IMHO. It has adjustable length of pull and comb, uses AICS mags, and its built on the Rem 700 footprint to except all aftermarket stuff for the 700. Bergara has a 1-MOA guarantee too. Just food for thought
View Quote
had not heard of that model,  honestly I like the look of that as much or more than the CTR. I like the adjustable comb
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Tikka is a far better quality setup then the savage.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns:
Go for the Tikka CTR 24". It's got the length and the action is so much smoother than the Savage. Downside is the OEM mags are normally priced at $120, but are butter smooth and built super solid. Savage builds a great product for the price, but I personally would want a better action, especially if you feel frisky and want to do a PRS match.
View Quote
Does anyone make aftermarket mags and/or is there some place that sells them cheaper?

I need five round mags in order to hunt with it in NY.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
There are no aftermarket magazines available for the Tikka yet.  There are factory 5rd magazines available but they are $115.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top