Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 7:17:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori]
Yes, I know you can skimp on optics. I have good glass on both of my guns (Leupold MK4 and Nightforce) but money is going to be a bit tight for the next few months and just recently got approved to shoot on a local 300yd range.

I do have to mention I've always had excellent vision. I'm in my mid 30's and borderline 20/15 vision.

My 2 requirements....

-It's okay if it's big/heavy. I don't plan to go on long hikes with it. 100mm glass is okay.

-See .308 holes on paper at 300yds

-See impact marks on painted steel plates up to 500yds (this will probably be difficult).

So far I've been looking at....

Konus 7122 20x-60x100mm

Celestron Ultima 100 Spotting Scope 100mm 45° Angle w/ 22-66x Zoom

Redfield Rampage 20-60x60

OR....

Try to make friends with the benchrest guys and see if someone will sell me an older HD model or a Kowa TSN-XXX
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully someone will link you the right one to get, but I haven't had too much luck with cheap spotting scopes.

i would be more inclined to buy a 16x or 20x SWFA scope during the tax sale and use it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wit optics it comes down to cheap vs good.

Pick one only.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori] [#3]
This is just a placeholder I want to use for a few months. I have a friend that will buy it off me when I'm done with it.

In 2-3 months I'll pick up either a Razor HD, Kowa., or some other HD scope in the $1000ish range. Had my eye on a Leupold Mark 4 12-40X60 since I've used them in the past/good results.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Kronus, good scope gor the money.  You hqve to spend hundreds to get a better one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori] [#5]
Is yours 80mm or 100mm?
80mm is about $75 dollar cheaper. Figured the large objective may help a bit with the shortcomings of the glass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
If you paint the steel targets white you'll have no problem seeing bullet impacts through your rifle scope.  I can see the impacts just fine at 1100 yards with my Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 at 14X magnification.  

I say wait till you have more money.  If you are used to good glass you'll be disappointed and want something better down the road.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could actually see better through the Nightforce

because it has quality glass  Magnification can't make up for poor glass.  You can see more detail with better glass even if it is lower magnification.  I would just stick with your rifle scope till you can afford

something better. Use shot and see targets at 300 yards and I bet the glass on the Nightforce is good enough to see the holes.  That's just my opinion because I have never used a cheap spotting scope

that I didn't think was a POS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Konus 20x60x80, upgraded to a Kowa now. The Konus had decent glass and was almost as good as the Kowa. The only issue was limited eye relief. When wearing safety glasses I had to remove them to get my eye close enough to see. Aside from that, the scope was great for $200. I would recommend a Konus any day for a budget spotter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top