Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 4:32:47 AM EDT
I'm considering dropping powder and seating bullets at the range instead of at home. I seem pull bullets and resize for neck tension enough to make this a viable option.

Years ago my Dad built a box for his reloading equipment in so he could reload when he worked nights. It had a place to mount the press and powder measure. It must have weighed 30-40lbs with everything in it. I'm thinking of something much lighter and easy to carry to the firing line. I have a small projector stand with removable/adjustable legs I plan to setup behind the shooting bench as a platform to load on. It's very stable and light weight.  

From what I've read, folks seem to have the biggest challenge weighing powder with the wind making it difficult to get a consistent reading. I have a small digital scale from Forster that could be used to trickle onto. Not the most accurate though. I'll need to shield the wind in some manner that still allows access to the scale. Thoughts here would be helpful.

I'll mount a powder measure on the box as well. Drill a series of holes in the base to hold cases before and after charging.  

One person used a small Lee press to seat the bullet. Seems like a good option and fairly light that uses standard dies. The ability to change seating depths at the range after narrowing in on the powder charge all during the same shooting session would save a lot of time and effort.  

I'll start working up this idea and hope to get some useful input from the village here on whats been done before.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen it done with what looked like a large coax crimper for a press. The powder looked like the problematic part. I stayed away as the gent looked like he wanted to be left alone a few benched down the line.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
A bunch of us will be curious for pictures.

Best of luck. I've though about this too, but I haven't done it yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The guys I have seen doing it at the range just c clamped a press to a bench and used a beam scale.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:17:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#4]

This is my reloading bench. Just set it infront of me while I watch TV. I could take it to the range, I've thought about doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
The guys I have seen doing it at the range just c clamped a press to a bench and used a beam scale.
View Quote

Pops used to have his press mounted to his tailgate when he shot benchrest.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:05:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#6]
I'm thinking something similar to the compact load station shown below.
- Would like to add a lid so it could be closed up so everything can be stowed inside.  
- The press and powder measure should attach without tools being necessary.  

Maybe use a clear box to cover a beam scale with a hole so powder can be trickled. Have an electronic scale handy as backup.

I like the way the base is drilled to hold cases.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've kicked around the same thing. I seem to go to the range doing workups and always bring back and have to pull rounds after I notice pressure signs. I've thought of bringing my little Lee press and just seat bullets while I'm at the range before. I wonder if a good way exists of pre-measuring powder charges and having them in some kind of container and doing it that way vs having to measure them at the range? I've also thought of just taking a Chargemaster with me as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good thought as well... premeasured charges.

Years ago I bought some foreign 308 blanks that have wooden bullets. Could use those wooden bullets or a wooden dowel of the same diameter as the bullet, mark the charge on a paper attached to the dowel and insert in the charged case.

It would still involve a lot of upfront work to charge cases that would likely be dumped, but its better than pulling bullets/resizing cases and reduces trips to the range.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#9]
Originally Posted By HuntinBuddy80:
I've kicked around the same thing. I seem to go to the range doing workups and always bring back and have to pull rounds after I notice pressure signs. I've thought of bringing my little Lee press and just seat bullets while I'm at the range before. I wonder if a good way exists of pre-measuring powder charges and having them in some kind of container and doing it that way vs having to measure them at the range? I've also thought of just taking a Chargemaster with me as well.
View Quote

I don't think bringing the CM out is going to be prudent. That scale is hyper-sensitive (as it should be), and breeze will throw your loads off.  If you're not loading for precision, I guess it would not be too big of a deal.  Then again, if you're not loading for precision, there's really no reason to drag all that shit with you to the great outdoors then, is there?  

The only good way I know of would be to run a hi-def balance, such as one of these bad boys:  Hi Def Balance  Comes with the environment shield and is super accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#10]
An analytical balance would be too sensitive. We used them on a granite top lab bench. Any vibration effects them. The reason they have glass doors on the sides is because just slight air movement in a room greatly effects the reading. We had to cook the weighing crucible in an oven to remove all moisture and let it cool before weighing... they are that sensitive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Blowout:
I'm thinking something similar to the compact load station shown below.
- Would like to add a lid so it could be closed up so everything can be stowed inside.  
- The press and powder measure should attach without tools being necessary.  

Maybe use a clear box to cover a beam scale with a hole so powder can be trickled. Have an electronic scale handy as backup.

I like the way the base is drilled to hold cases.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/loadbnch.jpg
View Quote

This is very similar to the set ups I've seen at my gun club used by the benchrest guys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:05:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#12]
I actually  use a FA pedestal stand. I use a cheap digital scale(it works great), under the cover back in the box a ways out of the wind.
I put the case on the scale, tare it, throw into the case and weigh it. When working up to pressure if you are not exactly at the weight you want it don't  matter, 30.0 vs 30.2, I  don't  mess around trying to hit an exact weight. You are looking to get a close idea, besides, if your load is sensitive to .2gr it is no good anyway.

If you are using some stick powder, good luck with that.

With the help of QuickLoad to give me an idea where to start, I have my loads worked up in a couple hours and 30 or fewer rounds total.

Gemini 20 scale link

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top