Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 12:27:57 AM EDT
I'm ready to order a Manners MCS-T4 for my Tikka T3x CTR.  There are a few options I don't know whether I want.

Bottom metal- Should I stick with the Tikka CTR bottom metal or have the stock inletted for CDI bottom metal?  Are there any compatibility issues with the CTR and the CDI bottom metal?

Pillar bedding- Do I need or should I have the stock pillar bedded at Manners?

Adjustable cheek piece- Are useful is this?  It adds a considerable weight penalty, but having that adjustability seems like it would be nice.

My only experience with bolt actions is off the shelf hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mathecb] [#1]
I can't remember, is the CTR bottom metal aluminum or plastic?

I would probably go with the CDI bottom metal. Nothing wrong with the TRG/CTR mags, they are fantastic actually. But I would prefer an aluminum bottom metal and more commonly available magazines (AICS).

I would also let Manners or a precision rifle smith professionally pillar bed the action and bottom metal in the stock.

The adjustable cheek piece is your call.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response.  I called Manners yesterday and they were very helpful with explaining their options.

The CTR bottom metal is aluminum.  I chose to have the stock built for the factory bottom metal because its a bit cheaper and honestly I probably won't be buying very many magazines, if any at all.

I also chose to have Manners do the pillar bedding.

I went without the adjustable cheek piece for cost and weight savings.  I figure if I can't get a good fit with it I can figure something out later.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good. I couldn't remember about the bottom metal material on the CTR. My T3 Lite was plastic though so I replaced it with a CDI.

The CTR and TRG mags are great. I like being able to load long and have a shorter 10rd mag.

Sounds like you got a good setup coming.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Update to this thread:

I spoke to a Manners rep this week on the phone.  They don't do pillar bedding for Tikka actions, the pillars they have are too large and it isn't necessary.

Additionally they do not require the action to be bedded to the stock, only the recoil lug should be bedded.  They offer recoil lug bedding in house.

I had my order changed to include a recoil lug installed and had the pillar bed option removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top