Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2016 1:08:06 PM EDT
I took my grendel AR out to an F Class match yesterday and it was all over the place at 1,000.  The day before the match (this was my first) I found out about the no brake thing and took it off and put a thread protector on.  My question is: Did the loads I developed with the brake on become mostly useless when I took the brake off?

I need to pull out the magneeto since I have a bunch of these rounds left and see if it affected my ES or if maybe I messed something up in the reloading process.

Wind was also pretty brutal, but that is a whole different story.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
everything matters and especially at 1000 yards and especially with a marginal caliber for that distance like Grendel. So pretty much as you found out your data was a no go after the barrel change .
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I stopped after firing a few sighters and scoring 11 shots. Wind was 15-35mph half value so I was really hoping that would be my only challenge. Once I had a round hit  low and a round hit high while my position felt good I knew I was just wasting ammo.

I'll throw the comp back on and use that rifle for other things... Time to rebarrel a bolt gun for the next match I fit into the schedule.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
with that kind of wind and the Grendel slowing down to barely supersonic at 1000 the wind would be all over it plus you would need a new zero without the comp.  F class shooting requires a special gun just for that.  All the other fancy big $ tactical guns must stay home in the safe.  Don' task me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
when i put a brake on my 308 it moved the POI something like 3mils at 100 yards, so while it might not change the load, it does certainly affect the barrel harmonics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like your velocity dropped to transonic and your bullets lost stability. Need more velocity, not to remove a brake. A good brake has virtually no discernible impact on accuracy or stability.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Strizzo:
when i put a brake on my 308 it moved the POI something like 3mils at 100 yards, so while it might not change the load, it does certainly affect the barrel harmonics.
View Quote

I expect a POI shift with a muzzle device but 3 mils is a lot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
the short answer is yes: you will experience a POI shift with ANY change of your muzzle device.  I get POI shift if my thread protector backs out a few threads if I don't snug it down tight.

that being said,  occasionally you'll luck into a gun that doesn't shift much, or at all with a thread protector or muzzle break.  I think I've had 2 that weren't real sensitive to it.

1 of them shot to same POI with my can on and off.  complete and utter stroke of luck.  It was sensitive to how I put the can on though, I had to put it on the same way every time to keep it from shifting, but once I got it down it was repeatable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top