Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2016 12:06:56 PM EDT
I'm new to this game, so please pardon me if I'm walking into a mess with this question.

Talk to be about barrel break-in procedures.  Some give very specific round counts and shot strings while others say it's completely bunk.

I've got a RPR in 6.5CM, a Ruger American in .22-250 (backup rifle), and a Barrett M82A1 that are all NIB and ready to be fired.  What, if anything, should I do to break them in properly?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By prebans:
I'm new to this game, so please pardon me if I'm walking into a mess with this question.

Talk to be about barrel break-in procedures.  Some give very specific round counts and shot strings while others say it's completely bunk.

I've got a RPR in 6.5CM, a Ruger American in .22-250 (backup rifle), and a Barrett M82A1 that are all NIB and ready to be fired.  What, if anything, should I do to break them in properly?

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote

Shoot them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Follow this list carefully and completely:

A) go to range
B) insert bullets
C) point at target
D) pull trigger
E) repeat C and D until magazine empty.
F) breath
G) repeat B, C and D until ammo depleted.
H) drive home
I) clean gun.

Which is the identical procedure even if the gun is completely broken in..
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#3]
I used to do stupid break in rituals up until very recently and although I had witnesses friends not do one at all and get great results , I still did them.

Last week was the first time I started with a new barrel and did not do any fancy break in. I zeroed my scope with a few rounds 9 I think then shot 5 groups of 5 of various factory ball ammo just to see how it did through that barrel. AFter that I  ran a patch of clp through it and then fired one more 5 round group to foul it up a bit before working on load development. I shot .457 to .559 groups and called it a day.

As I drove home I reminisced at all the time I wasted in the past doing stupid barrel break in rituals.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just lube the shit out of your barrel the 1st 200 rounds. I ran a wet barrel until I shot 200 rounds. Now just normal lube and wipe. Both 308 and 6.5 are now tac drivers!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Just shoot it
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Bartlein has a break-in procedure.

Kreiger has a break-in procedure.

Lilja has a break-in procedure.

But hey, they're just three of the top precision barrel manufacturers in the world.  What do they know?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GMZ:
Just shoot it
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#8]
I just shoot mine.  I make sure there is nothing in before I shoot it the first time and from there I just shoot.  I actually need to clean my latest build it has about 750 rounds on it now.

Bartlein's procedure is pretty much see what the barrel is telling you.  The last sentence is :"This is meant as guide lines only. There is no hard and fast rule for breaking in a barrel."
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By eracer:

View Quote

If the gun were a benchrest gun capable of shooting in the zeros, then barrel breakin might be worth something.
If the gun were a tactical gun capable of being dragged over hill and dale to make a 1 MoA shot at long distances, not so much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]

But hey, they're just three of the top precision barrel manufacturers in the world.  What do they know?
View Quote

And McMillan admitted that they recommended barrel break-in simply to sell more barrels.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

How to sell more barrels......

Gale McMillan, of McMillan Stocks fame, was one of the finest barrel-makers and benchrest shooters of all time. Here he argues that elaborate barrel break-in procedures do more harm than good.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:18:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And Kreiger even admits theirs is more of a guideline and even say--
If you have a better way that works for you without damaging the bore or using improper chemicals, by all means continue to use your methods.

ETA I used to do it similar to their way. On every gun no matter the quality because that's what I was taught and it became habit. I cant imagine how retarded I looked when doing it to my M1 Carbine all those years ago lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#13]

Originally Posted By prebans:

Thanks,

Mike
View Quote

In Molon we trust! this guy science's it up and provides repeatable data to back up his findings. do yourself a favor and checkout his posts and decide for yourself.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/4186_.html&page=1&anc=59299#i59299

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#14]
Break-in is more about removing tool marks so there's less copper fouling, which should allow a longer, flatter accuracy curve relative to shots fired without cleaning.

For overall precision, it may be the difference between a 0.1 and 0.2 MOA gun. Many consider the gains too small for the effort put in.

I pay homage to the barrel gods with "shoot 1, clean, X5".

ETA: someone here had a thread on the Hide detailing their experience.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I never did any sort of crazy break in procedure, but as others have said I did go to the range, but 2 boxes of shitty ZQI ammo down the pipe, then clean it (with CLP) and then continue shooting.

The reason I hardly ever "strip" the barrel of copper is because I use the "copper equilibrium" ideal. Basically you foul up the barrel with copper to fill in the tooling marks.

See tiborasaurous Rex videos on YouTube for more In depth info, it's almost overwhelming. "Sniper 101" is the series.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Do whatever floats your boat but I've never done a barrel break in and all my precision rigs shoot fine. In PRS you'll find as many if not more guys that dont do barrel break in vs guys that do. If it was worth it everyone would be doing it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I did an abbreviated break-in on my (one and only) high end barrel, a 223-chambered Krieger for my AR.
Fired a few rounds (slowly), wet patched, a light scrubbing, dry patched.
Did the same after another 10 rounds, and again after another 20.
Called it good.

2000+ rounds later, it still shoots in the .7s
The thing doesn't copper up AT ALL.
I've never had a barrel do that
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I just shoot the piss out of it then clean it really good.

After it settles down, I consider it to be settled down.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

They know how to get you to buy more barrels.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LeadRX:
I never did any sort of crazy break in procedure, but as others have said I did go to the range, but 2 boxes of shitty ZQI ammo down the pipe, then clean it (with CLP) and then continue shooting.

The reason I hardly ever "strip" the barrel of copper is because I use the "copper equilibrium" ideal. Basically you foul up the barrel with copper to fill in the tooling marks.

See tiborasaurous Rex videos on YouTube for more In depth info, it's almost overwhelming. "Sniper 101" is the series.
View Quote

I am sure there is some good info in there, but I would take his videos with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

I am sure there is some good info in there, but I would take his videos with a grain of salt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LeadRX:

Any specific reason?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Break-in is more about removing tool marks so there's less copper fouling, which should allow a longer, flatter accuracy curve relative to shots fired without cleaning.For overall precision, it may be the difference between a 0.1 and 0.2 MOA gun. Many consider the gains too small for the effort put in.I pay homage to the barrel gods with "shoot 1, clean, X5".

ETA: someone here had a thread on the Hide detailing their experience.
View Quote
Bingo. It's about not 'peening' those tool marks and voids closed while they are full of copper and powder fouling. 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AR-180:

View All Quotes

Lilja has a break-in procedure.But hey, they're just three of the top precision barrel manufacturers in the world.  What do they know?

I guess I'm missing something here. How does their endorsing a break-in procedure cause me to buy more barrels? 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

I guess I'm missing something here. How does their endorsing a break-in procedure cause me to buy more barrels? 
View All Quotes

Lilja has a break-in procedure.But hey, they're just three of the top precision barrel manufacturers in the world.  What do they know?

Really....
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

When you burn up 10% of the barrel's life breaking it in, you buy the next barrel earlier.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#26]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

When you burn up 10% of the barrel's life breaking it in, you buy the next barrel earlier.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

It's like 20 rounds to break in a barrel.

Are you saying you change barrels every 200 rounds, or do you just not know what you're talking about?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#27]

Are you saying you change barrels every 200 rounds, or do you just not know what you're talking about?
View Quote

I don't think it the 20rds fired... But the scrubbing, chemicals &/or technique that may or may not contribute to additional wear. I wish I was good enough to tell the difference...
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 6:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#28]

View Quote

it's not the rounds but extra cleaning that can be harmful to barrels.  I've had 6mm barrels that i shot out without ever running a rod down.  Notice I said can be not does.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lew:

And McMillan admitted that they recommended barrel break-in simply to sell more barrels.
View All Quotes

A high maintenance barrel is 'better'? Is that the logic?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I go 800-1000 rounds between cleaning with my .308 and .223 even at those numbers there is almost zero copper.
I did 10 rounds of 1 shot/clean for break in on those in hopes of removing any chamber burrs there may be.

If you are not a moron you can clean a barrel 10 or 20times without ruining it.So that cute little statement about selling more barrels is pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I clean with copper solvent after each trip for the first few trips. I try to keep the round count low on the first trips too.

I see the merit in doing it to clean off the tool marks from the lead during chambering. However for any barrel whose accuracy I care enough about to break in, I also use my own reamer so I know it's not worn. Also and more importantly, I am not capable of remembering to bring all my cleaning shit to the range so I often just shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: claytonTheDestroyer] [#32]
I zero the weapon slowly, and then group it slowly. That's about the only break-in procedure I've done.

Otherwise, what's the rationale? Is this an issue where people think that too much heat too early will alter the metal and the barrel's accuracy? I have always been interested in hearing a good argument for this. I'm sure somebody has one.

Sniper and Mech Eng qual'd guy here...
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#33]
The barrel will break in eventually. Either way works. The 20 shot break in is trully a WASTE of 20 rounds. They are not good for working up loads, testing accuracy, etc. There is no copper established in the bore and each shot is like a new cold bore shot and barrel changes are rapid.

Sure, my rifle might get marginally better over 200 to 300 rounds if I don't break it in. Sure you get there in 20 with a break in. You do not trap copper in the throat that can never be removed if you fail to do the break in... that is a wives tale. The throat will totally erode eventually... you think there will be more copper magically in the throat after errosion? No.

Me? I clean the barrel very well before the first day of shoiting. I shoot my first day, get a rough zero, see what she likes/does not like, all the while realizing it takes 10 to 20 rounds to stabilize copper. Then, I go home and completely clean it to remove everthing!

That's my first range trip break in. After that, I don't remove copper because velocity changes shot to shot for 10-20 shots. I can watch the bullets land one on top of the other in a line till it settles down again. Once it has settled down a second time and I get a rough 200 yard zero and try the bullets the barrel did not hate at 100 to see if anything stands out. I have a good rough zero and know what bullets the barrel likes and does not like, one or two bullet types/weights.

Range trip 3 you can do a ladder test with your best bullets but FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT REMOVE THE COPPER FROM THE BORE...EVER... until accuracy drops off! Then it will take 10-20 rounds to stabilize again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:38:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman101] [#34]
Here is a link to a GREAT video on barrel break in that has answered all of my questions on this subject. https://youtu.be/AXf6oZzLYaY
You might watch some of this guys other videos as well, the series is very informative and helpful. As for my own experience, I use white oak armament barrels for my precision rifles and they come hand lapped. I don't do any kind of break in procedure on a new barrel, I just make sure it's clean and dry before I shoot it the first time. I would never shoot with oil in the bore because this can actually cause pressure dents in the bore. I basically just clean it before I shoot it the first time, I'll sight in my scope and fire around 80-100 rounds to build up a good copper fouling equilibrium and make any needed adjustments on my scope. Never followed any kind of new barrel ritual and my guns shoot 1/4" MOA.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Years ago I spoke at length with a barrel maker. One who is a the top as far as barrel makers go. On this subject he told me that a new barrel actually twists and than "Snaps back" to its at cold position. After a few rounds the barrel then takes a set and will return to the same after every shot. What he said harms a new barrel is heat from firing to fast. So barrel makers came up with the shoot clean shoot times X number of rounds to ensure we the end user didn't get the barrels to hot on initial break in. And than slam the barrel as being junk.
So really all you have to do is take it easy on the barrel for the first 50 or 100 rounds and clean normally. This has worked well for me on the few good barrel I have recently purchased.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:

How to sell more barrels......

Gale McMillan, of McMillan Stocks fame, was one of the finest barrel-makers and benchrest shooters of all time. Here he argues that elaborate barrel break-in procedures do more harm than good.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html
View Quote
His logic doesn't make sense.  Breaking in doesn't shorten the life of your barrel.  You may get less useful shots if you are just shooting up in the air or at a rock while breaking in but who would waste expensive ammo doing that?  

I'm sure nearly every one gets velocity data or zero's the rifle or something while they "break it in."  That isn't a waste.  You would have to do it anyway. The waste may be on cleaning patches.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By owlless:

His logic doesn't make sense.  Breaking in doesn't shorten the life of your barrel.  You may get less useful shots if you are just shooting up in the air or at a rock while breaking in but who would waste expensive ammo doing that?  

I'm sure nearly every one gets velocity data or zero's the rifle or something while they "break it in."  That isn't a waste.  You would have to do it anyway. The waste may be on cleaning patches.
View Quote
it's not the shot's it is poor cleaning processes can and have damaged barrels.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#38]
So to throw more kindling on, what solvent?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Precisely.

Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
So to throw more kindling on, what solvent?
There are tons out there that will work. Do your homework. Everyone has their favorite, and that became their favorite simply because that is what they've used for years with at least acceptable results, independent of any actual analysis of suitability and efficacy. As with gun lubes, if you are paying $4 an ounce for some wonder cleaning fluid, you need to have your head examined.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#40]

View Quote
Ha, which makes no fucking sense unless you are firing a ultra blown out fucking laser rifle that sends 150grain charge of powder through a 22 cal bore.

Firing 10-15 round and few (proper)cleanings mixed in does pretty much zero to the life of the barrel.

Edit I guess I already addressed this, someone resurrected this thread 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
View Quote
All this has happened before and it will happen again.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: magnum_99] [#42]
A properly hand lapped high quality barrel will need no break in and only minimal cleaning over its life.

Heavy cleaning with harsh chemicals and brushes will do more harm than good.  Light cleaning with a patch and maybe a swipe or two with a brush every few hundred rounds is all that is needed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

I concur!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Shoot some bi metal Russian steel case through it. THAT should do nicely
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top