Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2016 4:04:20 PM EDT
I am new to the bolt gun world. I am looking at doing a Rem 700 chambered in .300 win. This will be a rifle designed for hunting in Alaska not sitting on a bench. Are these a nice option or is the HS precision stocks that come on rems from the factory a better route to go? thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't comment yet on how it works in the cold, but I'm pretty happy with my Magpul so far. It's a no nonsense bit of equipment that basically threw out a lot of traditional design concepts and focused on what actually mattered. Particularly with their mag system it is a good setup and very economical. I'm not sure if they will or do offer mags that will work with the 300 Win though, so that aspect might not matter.
I've never used one of the HS Precisions on a LA Remington so I'm not much help there. My Magpul is on what started life as a 223 ADL bargain special. I basically wanted to buy a barreled action and that was the cheapest route.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would keep the HS stock.  There are a couple manufacturers of drop in AICS long action dbm's (long actions being single stacked) if that is what you want.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother has one on his M700. Very nice stock with a lot of handy features for a very reasonable price. I see no reason it wouldn't survive a lifetime of hunting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lew:
My brother has one on his M700. Very nice stock with a lot of handy features for a very reasonable price. I see no reason it wouldn't survive a lifetime of hunting.
View Quote

I have a 20" .308 varmint contour in a hunter stock and it feels a bit heavy for hunting...
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen one of these really up close, does the front of the stock where the bipod have reinforcement? Just curious how they'd hold up to loading a bipod if it's just polymer. I'm sure they are fine I just haven't laid hands on one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HuntinBuddy80:
I haven't seen one of these really up close, does the front of the stock where the bipod have reinforcement? Just curious how they'd hold up to loading a bipod if it's just polymer. I'm sure they are fine I just haven't laid hands on one.
View Quote

A friend has one with a medium Palma contour barrel. The stock flexes enough off a bipod to cause contact between barrel and stock. I would not recommend this stock for a heavy bench gun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

A friend has one with a medium Palma contour barrel. The stock flexes enough off a bipod to cause contact between barrel and stock. I would not recommend this stock for a heavy bench gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

With my sps "varmint"  contour barrel you can get the barrel to touch by squeezing the barrel and for end together. It it doesn't even come close to touching just from loading the bipod
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

With my sps "varmint"  contour barrel you can get the barrel to touch by squeezing the barrel and for end together. It it doesn't even come close to touching just from loading the bipod
View Quote

Heat played a lot into what I saw. At the beginning of the day, there was clearance between stock and barrel. After being outside in the summer and the barrel heating up, it was clearly making contact and we could not get a piece of paper through. Accuracy was affected as well.

That being said, this stock is called a "Hunter" stock, which does not mean high heat and long strings of fire. Or something as thick as a medium palma contour. As hunting application, I think it would work fine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm you guys have me rethinking now, I was pretty dead set on one. I've got a barreled action from Short Action Customs soon with a Rem Varmint profile Bartlein in .260 I was going to put in one. I plan on using it for predator hunting and maybe a match or two here or there just to shoot something other than my main match rifle. Maybe I should just save a little more and go to an XRay.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm you guys have me rethinking now, I was pretty dead set on one. I've got a barreled action from Short Action Customs soon with a Rem Varmint profile Bartlein in .260 I was going to put in one. I plan on using it for predator hunting and maybe a match or two here or there just to shoot something other than my main match rifle. Maybe I should just save a little more and go to an XRay.
View Quote

I think the Remington Varmint contour is a little thinner than medium palma. You might be ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top