Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/21/2016 8:35:51 PM EDT
As I scroll down through my FB feed trying to avoid all the political talk, I come across this article first:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/06/josh-wayner/the-truth-about-6-5mm-ammo/

Basically the 6.5 family can't ballistically do anything the 100 year old 6.5X55 can't do and doesn't out peform the 308 until past 600 yards.

Scroll down further past pictures of friends' kids and dogs and find this article:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1496625-hello-2015-now-replace-your-308

Basically, why is anyone still shooting 308.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be taking a 6.5 Creedmoor out to 600 yards on Thursday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#2]
I thought the TTAG article was garbage but I have 3 bolt guns with a 4th in the way one is .223 one in 6mm and two will be 6.5

6.5x47 and creedmor both benefit from modern case designs which offer better internal ballistics. There are tons of 6mm rounds out there. I don't think that writer had any business commenting on the subject.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The author of that TTAG article is so full of shit that I'd prefer to not dignify the garbage with a rebuttal.  

His statements about people getting to play "sniper" and all that were completely out of line.  Are those shooting AR's all people playing tier 1 operator too?  Guy is a fucking tool.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

View Quote

Because that's the caliber I have...  It's bought and paid for so there's that.  I don't get to shoot much beyond 500 yards so there's that too.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Because that's the caliber I have...  It's bought and paid for so there's that.  I don't get to shoot much beyond 500 yards so there's that too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm in the same boat, still shooting 308.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
View Quote

I shoot my 308 to 700 all the time

(have fun shooting!)

being said my new rifle is a 6mm
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]
308 is a fine round with tons of known good loads. Many people over the years have preferred military calibers.

Recently, rounds that would have been considered wildcats are gaining favor as people move to every ballistic advantage possible. Ballistic performance is key at unknown distance. This type of shooting is relatively new. Thus, the rise of alternative rounds.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NUCdt04:

(have fun shooting!)

View All Quotes

(have fun shooting!)

Yah. The 308 will do 700. But good thing you didn't try to go to 800.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/308_traj-1.jpg
View All Quotes

(have fun shooting!)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/308_traj-1.jpg
C'mon. Do you really think it's going to bounce 50 yards down range after it falls 7 feet straight down to the ground? Lets be a little more realistic.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
C'mon. Do you really think it's going to bounce 50 yards down range after it falls 7 feet straight down to the ground? Lets be a little more realistic.  
View All Quotes

(have fun shooting!)

That's an awesome chart - stealing it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

(have fun shooting!)

Did you see the thread in GD a while back where a guy had a bullet skip through his front door and into his kitchen cabinets from a neighbors range a mile away? He was gone and his wife was home alone. Crazy how far they'll keep going.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Not mine. I stole it too.

But this chart is the main reason I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Nothing wrong with a .308 but the Creedmoor and other 6.5s are just better ballistically.
View Quote

A Ferrari 458 is better ballistically than a C7 Corvette, why is everybody not driving the Ferrari?

The thing is, there is nothing wrong with the 308 as long as the shooter understand the ballistics and limitations thereof.

While the 6.5 class has great ballistics, and while one is on my short list, the new Tipped Match King bullet ballistics has gone a long way in making up for the ballistic deficiencies of the 30 cal class.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

A Ferrari 458 is better ballistically than a C7 Corvette, why is everybody not driving the Ferrari?

The thing is, there is nothing wrong with the 308 as long as the shooter understand the ballistics and limitations thereof.

While the 6.5 class has great ballistics, and while one is on my short list, the new Tipped Match King bullet ballistics has gone a long way in making up for the ballistic deficiencies of the 30 cal class.
View All Quotes
Nothing wrong with a .308 but the Creedmoor and other 6.5s are just better ballistically.

difference is the Ferrari is more expensive than the Vette

reloading I'd wager you can do better with the 6's and 6.5's than the 30 cals

I had worked the math but can't recall exactly
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh.  I like my .308.  It uses cheap, readily available components and it shoots like a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FALex:
The author of that TTAG article is so full of shit that I'd prefer to not dignify the garbage with a rebuttal.  

His statements about people getting to play "sniper" and all that were completely out of line.  Are those shooting AR's all people playing tier 1 operator too?  Guy is a fucking tool.
View Quote

I think that about covers it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#18]
That article sure seemed pretty biased and arrogant to me which apparently is pretty common for that guy. Very accomplished camp perry shooter but seems to be out of his lane on the tactical/sniper stuff.

Would love to hear him answer the same question I ask all 308 guys. Why doesn't anyone use it in open competitions? Only people that use it shoot in matches that require it save a few that make you choose between 308 and 223.

View All Quotes

Exactly. That was a silly comparison to make.

Camaro vs Corvette would probably for a little better(if they cost the same). Much like the 308 the Camaro will do more than enough for most people but the corvette will do it better and faster. Nobody who raced would choose the camaro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lightning1960] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:53:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wesr228] [#21]
Well, it's a nicely worded essay, with the author's opinion clearly stated. However, there is no science or data provided to back up the thesis. Not saying that the data isn't out there or the claims are true or not true; just that blogs like this are worth about the amount of the paper they're printed on.

At the end of the day, who cares? Shoot what you want. Be happy we live in a world that lets you shoot your thing and others shoot theirs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a big difference between hit probability of the .308 and any common 6.5mm.

I think it's a factor of recoil and BC, not just BC.

You also most definitely can train with a 6.5mm more than you can with a .308 Win.

You will reach recoil fatigue with a .308 before you do with a 6.5mm, all else being equal.

Muzzle climb is noticeabl higher with the .308 Win.

Tracking your shot with a 6.5mm is simply easier.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
There's a big difference between hit probability of the .308 and any common 6.5mm.

I think it's a factor of recoil and BC, not just BC.

You also most definitely can train with a 6.5mm more than you can with a .308 Win.

You will reach recoil fatigue with a .308 before you do with a 6.5mm, all else being equal.

Muzzle climb is noticeabl higher with the .308 Win.

Tracking your shot with a 6.5mm is simply easier.
View Quote

Pretty much nothing to gain. I know some people prefer the 308 when hunting but the 6.5 certainly doesn't seem to have any problem in that arena either.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Would love to hear him answer the same question I ask all 308 guys. Why doesn't anyone use it in open competitions? Only people that use it shoot in matches that require it save a few that make you choose between 308 and 223.

View Quote
I do. I specifically chose .308W and .223R because they suffer from distinct disadvantages and they qualify for restricted classes too. I'm not worried about winning the match against the money racers that currently dominate. I'm concerned with improving on my previous performance. Knowing there's 6.5CM's and my coach's 6.5mm BR out there doesn't bother me. If nothing else it lets me focus on my own performance. They're at an advantage and one of those guys usually wins but very occasionally a .308 shooter (or someone with something really strange) pwns them.

The long range match I like to shoot at scores for tac class, open class and overall. That means you can say, "open class", shoot a .308 and get scored in the open class. You just can't bring a 6.5CM and say, "tactical class". You're stuck in the open class. I shoot my .223rem in the open class to keep my tactical scores unpolluted by bad scores when I know the day is going to be rough. Call me a sandbagger if you like.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
I do. I specifically chose .308W and .223R because they suffer from distinct disadvantages and they qualify for restricted classes too. I'm not worried about winning the match against the money racers that currently dominate. I'm concerned with improving on my previous performance. Knowing there's 6.5CM's and my coach's 6.5mm BR out there doesn't bother me. If nothing else it lets me focus on my own performance. They're at an advantage and one of those guys usually wins but very occasionally a .308 shooter (or someone with something really strange) pwns them.

The long range match I like to shoot at scores for tac class, open class and overall. That means you can say, "open class", shoot a .308 and get scored in the open class. You just can't bring a 6.5CM and say, "tactical class". You're stuck in the open class. I shoot my .223rem in the open class to keep my tactical scores unpolluted by bad scores when I know the day is going to be rough. Call me a sandbagger if you like.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

That's great for you but I feel like you pretty much agree that the 308 and 223 are uncompetitive. There are lots of reasons to like 308 but when looking at the creedmoor specifically I think a lot of the same apply to it now.

I would like to see a poll at a big match asking if they would rather shoot a custom high quality 308 or a off the shelf savage, howa, or the like chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I know you mentioned money racers and those exist in every game or sport but the winners would still be the winners even if they spent a little less.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#26]
The 6mm, 6.6 and 7mm rifles may be best for long range but its cool seeing a 308 pawn those guys in a rare event. The shit eating grin is priceless.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#27]

That's great for you but I feel like you pretty much agree that the 308 and 223 are uncompetitive. There are lots of reasons to like 308 but when looking at the creedmoor specifically I think a lot of the same apply to it now.

I would like to see a poll at a big match asking if they would rather shoot a custom high quality 308 or a off the shelf savage, howa, or the like chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I know you mentioned money racers and those exist in every game or sport but the winners would still be the winners even if they spent a little less.
View Quote
yes, I'd essentially agree with that statement provided all else is equal and we don't introduce any other variables into the equation. As to your poll... I think you'd see a respectable distribution of answers if definitions were made rigorously precise. I didn't get into competitions with custom guns though I now own some and prefer them for match shooting. A proper match rifle is built for the game it shoots, no compromises, which makes it meh for almost anything not that. When I first shot silhouette I used a .308 set up in tactical configuration. Did ok for the setup. After a couple matches I found a match rifle that was already built for the game, not worn out, fit me well and was for sale and snapped it up and my scores doubled and have kept going up. My tactical rifle was perfectly fine as far as being functional and accurate but ergo was poor for the game. In tactical type matches I'd bet that some would prefer a built match gun in .308 and shoot handloads from it and some would take an off the rack 6.5CM and tune the snot out of some handloads for it. Last long range match I went to there were a number of full custom .308's but they were shooting in the .308 class. They also had scores right there with the 6.5 guys. Those guys were shooting cleans so it's kinda hard to see much difference. I know one thing, if I were to do a custom gun it wouldn't be a .308 in all probability. I have a wicked accurate .308 already. I'd actually do mine in something in 7mm but that's a personal preference. If not 7mm then 6.5mm. So yeah... I think we're in violent agreement.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#28]
My choice was not based on opinion but personal experience.

I moved from 308 to 6.5x47 and now 6x47L. The 6x47L will do everything I want...shoot benchrest, long range, varmints, and I could even take it big game hunting if I was into that. For a while I had a 6mm Remington and so why switch?  The 6x47L is just so much easier to load for and gives me more options.

The 6.5x55 never really took off here and requires a long action.  The 6.5CM/6.5x47 not only give you an option for a short action, it also gives you lots of room for playing with longer bullets or OAL.  It is also more efficient.

I see the 308 fans have chimed in which is great.  If the caliber works for them then keep shootin!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

if i could pick 10 howas off the shelf and find one that was 1/2 moa then replace the trigger and modify the stock to fit me, then i'd pick it over a custom 308.   if i really have to shoot it out of the box with no changes, then i'd pick the 308
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#30]
As I scroll down through my FB feed trying to avoid all the political talk, I come across this article first:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/06/josh-wayner/the-truth-about-6-5mm-ammo/

Basically the 6.5 family can't ballistically do anything the 100 year old 6.5X55 can't do and doesn't out peform the 308 until past 600 yards.

Scroll down further past pictures of friends' kids and dogs and find this article:

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1496625-hello-2015-now-replace-your-308

View Quote

Why is anyone shooting 308? Comercial availability of guns and ammo. It's plenty for 99.999% of shooters.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Oddly enough, when I use the cute little dials on my scope, I know exactly where my bullet is gonna go.

And it still works well.

Tmk shows that bullet design is still improving.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUM] [#32]
I'm still not convinced that the 6.5 kills as well. No argument about the ballistics, 6.5 wins hands down. From what I've seen the 308 kills better.

Longer barrels really help the 6.5s

Competition breeds innovation but if you're objective is to drop animals consistently your 6.5 better be fast
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RUM:
I'm still not convinced that the 6.5 kills as well. No argument about the ballistics, 6.5 wins hands down. From what I've seen the 308 kills better.

Competition breeds innovation but if you're objective is to drop animals consistently your 6.5 better be fast
View Quote

A good friend of mine is an avid hunter, besides hunting in OH, WV and PA regularly, he's gone to Canada a few times and even to Europe.  He always extols the terminal ballistics of his 260 Rem and says for deer size game he uses it over all his other traditional caliber rifles.  

He even shot an ostrich with it in TX.  I guess they are hard to bring down and the 260 worked very well on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]

A good friend of mine is an avid hunter, besides hunting in OH, WV and PA regularly, he's gone to Canada a few times and even to Europe.  He always extols the terminal ballistics of his 260 Rem and says for deer size game he uses it over all his other traditional caliber rifles.  

He even shot an ostrich with it in TX.  I guess they are hard to bring down and the 260 worked very well on it.
View All Quotes

I come from the land of big walking sticks. Most people considered 300 win mag a minimum in case yogi crashed the party. But after talkin to numerous old timers and people from across the pond with countless stories of 6.5x55 killing just about everything that walks I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]
None of the above-

.300 Winchester Magnum for the win.
No worries of being outranged unless you meet .338 Lapua or 50 BMG.
Yes, I am old school but it works.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sigman68:

The 6.5x55 never really took off here and requires a long action.  
View Quote

Not entirely true.  It does not "require" a LA, but will perform better out of a LA than a SA.  There are folks stuffing that bastard into SA's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I've seen the opposite.  My .260 crushes animals.  The kinetic energy at +500 yards distances beats the .308 damn near everytime.

I believe Pat Sinclair has crushed every big game animal on the NA continent with his .260.    Pat Sinclair Crushes with a .60'
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#38]
As far as on game performance, 6.5 and 7mm's have a bit of a boost in one aspect of that, penetration. Longer more slender bullets penetrate deeper than fatter ones all else being equal. I won't say longer more slender bullets kill any dead-er or quicker but they do punch deeper for the velocity you push them at. Being able to push a relatively light bullet fast with low-ish recoil and still having deep penetrating bone breaking power is exactly what hunters need and want. My hunting rifles for the longest time were 6,6.5 and 7mm. Now they've all been converted to competition use. My one remaining hunting rifle of any utility is a .30-06 not because I wanted it but because one dropped in my lap almost for free which will help if I ever take up hunting again.

/flame suit on

For my money the 6.5 loses out to 7mm on some very marginal grounds. .30cal works but like everything it's not perfect.

/flame suit off

Anyone else get a little bored of these Y vs. X battles? Pick your poison for the mission. That's how it's always worked.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

He sounds like the guy with the $8000.00 stick shooting 7" groups at 100 yards that I shot next to a few months ago. I don't know why some people have to be that way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GMZ] [#40]
Relevant...

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:18:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iggyort] [#41]

View All Quotes

(have fun shooting!)

That's  pretty funny given that last weekend  I shot the Mid Atlantic Regional  LR (1,000 Yard ) Championship with a .308.

The gun is a trued Remington  action with a 26" Bartlein  barrel. The ammo that I am using  is 200 grain Berger Hybrid  bullets with a muzzle velocity of 2375 fps.

I needed 45 MOA on the gun and  only about  4 MOA for  wind given the 5-7 MPH wind coming out of SSE.

Did I win ? Absolutely not, in fact I got crushed like a grape by the more experience  F Class shooters using specialized .308  rifles with 30" barrels.

Regardless  of my finish, I  was able to   get 9s,10s  and a handfull of Xs

In F Class the 10 circle is 10" and X is 5".

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Not entirely true.  It does not "require" a LA, but will perform better out of a LA than a SA.  There are folks stuffing that bastard into SA's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigman68:

The 6.5x55 never really took off here and requires a long action.  

LOL.  Not sure why but okay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I just read the article and it sounds like 30-06 apologists decrying the 308 all over again.

Hey I get it, you like to shoot a 100 yr old cartridge out of a rifle thats 6ft long. Good for you.

Get with the times. If you can do 90% of something for 60% of the cost, no one is going to turn that down.

New rounds go into rifles that are smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to produce, and mag fed. There is a reason small arms design trended this way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]

I've seen the opposite.  My .260 crushes animals.  The kinetic energy at +500 yards distances beats the .308 damn near everytime.

I believe Pat Sinclair has crushed every big game animal on the NA continent with his .260.    Pat Sinclair Crushes with a .60'
View All Quotes

What barrel length?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Problem with the .308 is people don't use the right bullet for long range, get with the program and use 215s and 230s. With a brake a hundred 230s per session is no problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Availability, commonality, versatility and the shit ton of evidence of it's effectiveness in the field (two and four legged quarry alike).

For the average shooter, the .308 will offer more cartridge than they will ever be able to master.

Until your skill set is developed shooting past the comparable threshold barrier, what's the point?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Availability, commonality, versatility and the shit ton of evidence of it's effectiveness in the field (two and four legged quarry alike).

For the average shooter, the .308 will offer more cartridge than they will ever be able to master.

Until your skill set is developed shooting past the comparable threshold barrier, what's the point?

View Quote

I am ready to make the switch.  Like you pointed out, the 308 was great to learn how to load and how to develop loads, etc.   I have about 300 loaded rounds and another 1000 rounds of components to use, then I think I am going to have my rifle re-barreled in 260 Rem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]

I am ready to make the switch.  Like you pointed out, the 308 was great to learn how to load and how to develop loads, etc.   I have about 300 loaded rounds and another 1000 rounds of components to use, then I think I am going to have my rifle re-barreled in 260 Rem.
View All Quotes

Do it!

I jumped into precision shooting/reloading in both the 308 and 260 Rem simultaneously and I am much more excited about doing 260 stuff. Less recoil, better long range performance, and good energy on target if needed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bionic589:

Do it!

I jumped into precision shooting/reloading in both the 308 and 260 Rem simultaneously and I am much more excited about doing 260 stuff. Less recoil, better long range performance, and good energy on target if needed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bionic589:

Do it!

I know.  I have sunk cost and effort into 1000 pieces of brass, 175 gr TMK bullets and 5 lbs of R15.  Plus, right now I've spent enough money on gun stuff this summer and shouldn't really dump another $900 to have SAC put a Bartlein barrel on my 700.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 223Rem:

the point is that they're better in just about every measurable way. In the real world that can make up for a little skill gap between which is why super fast magnums have always been popular for hunting.

My real world example was when I went shooting with a friend and he had his 284 and I my 308. After about 600ish yards I stirring dropping more due to bad wind calls and he kept hitting. At 850 I couldn't consistently hit the gong but he made it out to 1000 several times.

We were big very new long range shooters trying out long range shooting. His 284 also put more of a hurt on the plate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top