Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 1:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoatBoy]
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you, Rob...
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I asked a question about nagant optics, and recieved no replies.  The search option pulls up no topics.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The search function on here is the worst on any forum anywhere...  I hope that this is not by design.  I tend to use a google customized search of this site only.  This works well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kingston:
The search function on here is the worst on any forum anywhere...  I hope that this is not by design.  I tend to use a google customized search of this site only.  This works well.

I hear if you buy a membership the search becomes great.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it does

easy to use too
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Too bad the search only goes back 30 days.

Now you get the same newbien threads (like mine) every thirty days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lunyou:

Not true. Google site:ar15.com still wayyyy better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
Originally Posted By lunyou:

Not true. Google site:ar15.com still wayyyy better.

This.. sadly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Google is in my experience the best search appliance for all things.  Which is not any sort of knock on other websites functionalities.  Google is in the search business as it's core competency afterall.  AR15.com's core competency is being an online community for the black rifle and is the best out there....always has been ...
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes Sir
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, if you're having problems with the search feature on the site, you haven't tried hard enough. ;) It's very easy and you can go back MUCH further than 30 days. You can also archive search going back years and years.

Now with that said, if you don't like the search, as previously suggested, google can search everything on the site by following up your terms with "site:www.ar15.com"

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If I could id like to make a suggestion to the long time members here about having a little tolerance please.

Having been heavily involved in the hot rod automotive hobby and forums for years ( only being a shotgun owner) I know the feeling about repetitive questions from the new or un informed on something you already know about.
The same or obvious questions annoyed the hell out of me and I saw tons of people turned away - flamed and generally discouraged from their new interest.

Then I decided I wanted to build some AR rifles and joined here.... now I know how it feels

Searching
Just because its been written and YOU have seen it doesn’t mean its easy to find
Searching can literally be nearly imposable without getting lucky with title wording.

My I suggest
Pick a hobby you’re mildly interested in but know little about .... Go to a forum about it and try to learn.
If its even half as complex as the topic’s here I think you will start to see what im getting at.

Im thankful for the knowledge here ... but asking a question .... even a new one is kinda tuff

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My 2 cents, as one of the ones who is not very tolerant of the same topic being posted on a weekly basis, and is not shy to let people know it.

READ! - It is very evident that people pop in here, hit the "New Topic" button, and they have not bothered to read any of the material posted here, because the answer to their question can be found on one of the first couple of pages. If you are new, chances are you will benefit greatly from taking the time to review/read what has been posted, whether it applies to your current issue or not.

WORK! - Reality is, the people posting the answers here probably had to work more than just a little to get to where they are at, and it is not going to kill any of the new folks if they work a little to get the answer to their questions. Whether it is making some effort to search what is already here, or just bothering to read what has been posted, a little effort will go a long way for everyone.

BEARING! - Whether it is having the patience to wait for a reply to your question, or saying thanks to those who do respond, acting in a professional manner will typically go a long way. Bumping your post every hour because the response is not coming quick enough for you, or taking an attitude with the people who respond because they don't necessarily agree with you, is obviously not going to help things.

These forums will ultimately succeed or fail based on how EVERYONE participates. Unfortunately a lot of the "Top Tier Folks" have pitched in the towel and walked away because seeing a weekly repeat of the same material over and over again is not really beneficial to everyone, especially when you have to wade through all of it to try and get to something new or worthwhile.

I am all for encouraging and helping new members, but IMHO they also need to pull their own weight, and show some respect for the overall state of the Forums.

Thanks!
M Richardson
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captrichardson:
WORK! - Reality is, the people posting the answers here probably had to work more than just a little to get to where they are at, and it is not going to kill any of the new folks if they work a little to get the answer to their questions. Whether it is making some effort to search what is already here, or just bothering to read what has been posted, a little effort will go a long way for everyone.
View Quote

ain't that the truth!   I can't even begin to estimate how many hours and dollars I've spent trying things and testing etc, just to be able to answer simple but esoteric questions.   I'm certainly not the only one either, as it's usually easy to tell from posts who has done their homework and is posting from experience, and who is repeating what they've read elsewhere.

i sure wish i had somebody who could have just told me all the answers.  it sure would have saved a lot of time and money.   so i am generally eager to help new shooters, but answers are always proportional to the questions.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By taliv:

ain't that the truth!   I can't even begin to estimate how many hours and dollars I've spent trying things and testing etc, just to be able to answer simple but esoteric questions.   I'm certainly not the only one either, as it's usually easy to tell from posts who has done their homework and is posting from experience, and who is repeating what they've read elsewhere.

i sure wish i had somebody who could have just told me all the answers.  it sure would have saved a lot of time and money.   so i am generally eager to help new shooters, but answers are always proportional to the questions.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By taliv:
Originally Posted By captrichardson:

I'm very thankful to have guys like both of you, the op, and a handful of others sharing valuable information for FREE!  I've spent a ton of time researching and at the range practicing to make continual improvement, but I would say the internet has dramatically shortened my learning curve.  Add in modern tools like laser range finders and ballistic calculators with the information you guys share and it has saved me a lot of time.  

...For that I say Thank you!

I really enjoy the more "heated" discussions as well when some of the guys that really know their sh*t start debating.  When a couple guys with a lot of knowledge have differing opinions on a topic it really brings the technical details out
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
this is more oriented to computers, but the ideas are similar.

Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.

Try to find an answer by searching the Web.

Try to find an answer by reading the manual.

Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.

Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.

Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers.

Use tactics like doing a Google search on the text of whatever error message you get (searching Google groups as well as Web pages). This might well take you straight to fix documentation or a mailing list thread answering your question. Even if it doesn't, saying “I googled on the following phrase but didn't get anything that looked promising” is a good thing to do in e-mail or news postings requesting help, if only because it records what searches won't help. It will also help to direct other people with similar problems to your thread by linking the search terms to what will hopefully be your problem and resolution thread.

Take your time. Do not expect to be able to solve a complicated problem with a few seconds of Googling. Read and understand the FAQs, sit back, relax and give the problem some thought before approaching experts. Trust us, they will be able to tell from your questions how much reading and thinking you did, and will be more willing to help if you come prepared. Don't instantly fire your whole arsenal of questions just because your first search turned up no answers (or too many).

Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all. The more you do to demonstrate that having put thought and effort into solving your problem before seeking help, the more likely you are to actually get help.

Beware of asking the wrong question. If you ask one that is based on faulty assumptions, J. Random Hacker is quite likely to reply with a uselessly literal answer while thinking “Stupid question...”, and hoping the experience of getting what you asked for rather than what you needed will teach you a lesson.

Never assume you are entitled to an answer. You are not; you aren't, after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you earn it, by asking a substantial, interesting, and thought-provoking question — one that implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from others.

On the other hand, making it clear that you are able and willing to help in the process of developing the solution is a very good start. “Would someone provide a pointer?”, “What is my example missing?”, and “What site should I have checked?” are more likely to get answered than “Please post the exact procedure I should use.” because you're making it clear that you're truly willing to complete the process if someone can just point you in the right direction.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top