Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 2:22:33 AM EDT
I recently ordered a Big Bertha 50BMG from East Ridge Gun Co in Wisconsin. I saw some older posts from here when I googled East Ridge Gun Co. I am very excited, I should get it in late March.
I was wondering if any of you could tell me the advantages of getting the 20 MOA rail and also the Stainless or Fluted Barrel.
I am new at this, so any help would be appreciated.
By the way, Larry at East Ridge is a great guy.
Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a new guy to precision rifles, and especially the 50 cal, but I think I can answer some of your questions. If a knowledgeable shooter comes along and corrects me, he/she is probably right

The advantage of the 20 MOA rail, as far as I understand, would give your scope more internal elevation
adjustment range. Here is an excellent article https://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/?p=4

The advantage of a stainless barrel would just be the barrel would be more harsh weather resistant, rust, etc.

The advantage of a fluted barrel is a more rigid barrel, and faster cooling, which is desirable.

Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Larry is a great guy. You'll be pleased for sure. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting barrel fluted does also lighten the rifle up 'A little".. When you get it you are gonna be amazed at how massive this thing is.. It is a work of art though and a joy to shoot...
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Fluting does not make a barrel more rigid. Quite the opposite. A fluted barrel can only be more rigid by comparison to another barrel: A fluted barrel will be more rigid than a non-fluted barrel of the same weight and length. This means the major diameter of the fluted barrel will be greater than the non-fluted. But take your existing barrel and have it fluted? You are weakening that barrel by removing supportive material and making it more prone to flex, less rigid.

Weight reduction and more surface area for cooling? Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top