Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I was also thinking about getting one of those sniper pack combat belt from HSGi (I think that is who makes it) for hunting. Anyone ever used one for this kinda scenario? seems like a good set up. I was thinking for turkey this would be great to hold calls, water, IFAK, and some ammo. For hunting with my pack, i was thinking IFAk would go into it and mayeb some other gear to make room for more water. Can't have enough water out here, especially hiking and cleaning big game (If ya wanna call a 100lb deer big game )
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ReconB4:

Have you used that bag in cold whether yet? Just wondering if it actually works to the rated temp.
View Quote
I have. IIRC, the temp I slept in was about 22 Deg F.

No trouble.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Giving this a little bump
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump x2
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you guys using for a tent?  All of the lightweight backpacking tents I've found are in garish, extremely vibrant colors.  While I don't have to have multicam (but it would be cool) is there anything less flashy that you have found?  I've thought of using an appropriately colored tarp over or for the rainfly, but that is going to add significant weight.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#6]
Originally Posted By oversteer:
What are you guys using for a tent?  All of the lightweight backpacking tents I've found are in garish, extremely vibrant colors.  While I don't have to have multicam (but it would be cool) is there anything less flashy that you have found?  I've thought of using an appropriately colored tarp over or for the rainfly, but that is going to add significant weight.
View Quote

Tents are the spawn of satan.  Pogues sleep in tents, and they WILL rot your man soul.  Avoid them like the plague.

I use a poncho hooch if and only if the weather is bringing anything more than a heavy drizzle.  The Gore tex bivy sack does an excellent job of keeping you dry.

I do a weather forecast and analysis based on NWS, Doppler, and Satellite data.

If the R word is expected, I set up my poncho hooch, throw my sleeping mat down under it, get the fart sack under there, pull in my gear, and stay totally dry.  You can pack a poncho hooch on your vest without even taking a 3-day pack, but I keep it in my large rucks most of the time.  The older woodland camo military poncho is hard to beat in terms of balancing lightweight and durability.

The ones in the background are more illustrative of how I set mine up.  In this picture, my hooch is lifted on one side so I could access my ruck better, but it normally looks like a flat pyramid.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Saving from the archive
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Tents are the spawn of satan.  Pogues sleep in tents, and they WILL rot your man soul.  Avoid them like the plague.

I use a poncho hooch if and only if the weather is bringing anything more than a heavy drizzle.  The Gore tex bivy sack does an excellent job of keeping you dry.

If the R word is expected, I set up my poncho hooch, throw my sleeping mat down under it, get the fart sack under there, pull in my gear, and stay totally dry.  You can pack a poncho hooch on your vest without even taking a 3-day pack, but I keep it in my large rucks most of the time.  The older woodland camo military poncho is hard to beat in terms of balancing lightweight and durability.

The ones in the background are more illustrative of how I set mine up.  In this picture, my hooch is lifted on one side so I could access my ruck better, but it normally looks like a flat pyramid.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3-325AIR_0003_zpsf21e822f.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oversteer:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/3-325AIR_0003_zpsf21e822f.jpg

I think I just need to head to UT and train with you!
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JeredMD:
When I get home Ill have to bust out my coues deer hunting set up. Me and my buddies go back about 5+ miles into wilderness for about 3-4 days when we hunt coues deer. Its not easy hiking either. Its AZ, so mountains and canyons.

I run an eberlstock (can't remember the model)

But here is a list off the top of my head:

Remington 700 308 SPS Varmint (But this can be switched out with my suppressed SBR or w/e other firearm.
Small breakdown cleaning kit
water (hydration bladder, and a couple canteens usually. Sometimes have had to make trips out to get more water)
food
G19 with my personal defense appendix holster. I wear it for work, so hiking with it has become normal for me.
ammo (usually carried on the gun)
sleeping bag w/ small pillow (I love pillows, no fucks to be given about making space for one... I love pillows )
Vortex Kaibab 15x56 (carried around my neck for use while hiking or might be on my tripod and becomes a walking stick)
Manfrotto 190xB tripod with Manfrotto 128 head (mounts outside the pack or becomes a walking stick or shooting rest if need be. Most my long shots have been prone position)
knives (3 knives usually)
Garmin Oregon GPS
maps
sometimes small laptop to check camera cards if we have some set up
extra cloths (underwear, pancho, socks)
IFAK
Tarp (can be used for tent or whatever needed)

Pack gets kinda heavy as you can see, and with a Remington 700 SPS bull barrel..... It's heavy as fuck!  But I love hunting so much, I workout for it.

Here is a pic of the pack for now with the first shed of the yr that my gf and I found  Shed season is at full swing right now. I put my SBR on m back cause I was going through thick shit and was tired of carrying the gun and looking around for sheds. The suppressor is inside the pack.

My tripod and bino's are set for hunting. Most my hunting is done from glassing and doing a stalk. They're not just a walking stick, I wanted to make sure that was clear That would be a really expensive walking stick, ha.

<a href="http://s180.photobucket.com/user/jerede/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/IMG_20150317_153112_zpsmkpxuwzq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x247/jerede/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/IMG_20150317_153112_zpsmkpxuwzq.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very similar to my hunting setup. I use the eberlestock x3 LoDrag backpack. Fits everything i need, including a over provisioned IFAK, game bags, etc. I don't carry my sleeping bag/tent in the pack, as we drive in to camp, then hike the days hunt.

I just purchased a Tikka T3 adjustable in 300 win. mag, as I was using my 20" Larue OBR w/Saker. I found it was a little top heavy when descending the mountains in southern AZ. Hoping shave 6-7lbs of the rifle weight with the Tikka. What part of AZ do you hunt for deer?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Winter camping question...

How many guys here have taken bivy's in cold weather (<20°) with a bivy?

I have used mine in the snow and was buried in the snow, but it was not especially cold. My breath kept the snow off my face. I have been a little worried about using it in colder weather with snow because I am not sure my breath will keep my head from getting buried. Is this cause for concern or does your head stay pretty clear?

ReconB4, I just bought a MR SATL pack and I noticed you have some pretty large add on pouches on the side of yours. Can you tell me what pouches those are?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By benb:
Winter camping question...

How many guys here have taken bivy's in cold weather (<20°) with a bivy?

I have used mine in the snow and was buried in the snow, but it was not especially cold. My breath kept the snow off my face. I have been a little worried about using it in colder weather with snow because I am not sure my breath will keep my head from getting buried. Is this cause for concern or does your head stay pretty clear?

ReconB4, I just bought a MR SATL pack and I noticed you have some pretty large add on pouches on the side of yours. Can you tell me what pouches those are?
View Quote

I've taken 2 summer bags into the Arctic once, training with the Finns.  I was fine, just didn't sleep much.  We had a lean to.

I always have my Gore Tex bivy/sleep system with me for extreme cold now, and sleep in the open with it.  I have done so several times this past year, last winter.

This snow is 4ft deep.  We snow-shoed in.  There is no way to get there without snow shoes, as you just fall in.  I laid my tarp out, rolled out the sleeping mat, and just put the sleep system on top, as I didn't think it was that cold.  In some of my courses, I offer a mini survival training segment overnight showing just some basics that seem to have been forgotten by most of our generation (Gen X).

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The tarp is a good idea. When I used my bivy in the snow we got 2 feet and it was not fun digging my pack out in the morning. With the tarp I imagine you can just dig up a corner and pull all your gear out.

Being in UT it was probably colder than 20 for you?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By benb:
The tarp is a good idea. When I used my bivy in the snow we got 2 feet and it was not fun digging my pack out in the morning. With the tarp I imagine you can just dig up a corner and pull all your gear out.

Being in UT it was probably colder than 20 for you?
View Quote

That was at over 7500ft elevation, hence the deep snow in the mountains in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Another thing you can use in a survival scenario is your auto windshield shades.  Put them inside the bivvy sack, or between you and the sleeping mat.

You will be toastie, and they weigh almost nothing.  The wire-fold models are great for packing in a rucksack or backpack.

I also place the thin air mattress inside the bivy sack, between the inside of the bivy and outside of the outer bag from my sleep system.  This is one of the most overlooked techniques you can use to increase your comfort or survival level in extreme cold. Combined with the auto shade, with proper layering of clothing (light thermal underwear, sleep cap, new socks), and you can get too warm even in a sleet downpour like I did in the Winter Sniper Course I ran earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
i put both my thermarests in storage after using the cabela's instinct insulated sleeping pad.  camped at 10k ft in SW CO elk hunting this year in nothing but a 15* lost ranger bag and the instinct for one night, but then moved to a tent for the rest of the week since it was constant precipitation (snow, hail, rain).   never felt any cold at all from the ground.  it was awesome.   I keep a silk bag liner, etc and never needed it, and i generally get cold pretty easy.    

the instinct has the same sort of fluffy stuff inside it as the north face thermoball jackets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you post pics of what the Instinct looks like open and rolled up, weight, etc.?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:25:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#16]
not my pics, just grabbed off google images

72"L x 24"W x 2.5"H.
Packed: 6"L x 9"W.
Wt: 1 lb. 10 oz.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-instinct-insulated-sleeping-pad/1839110.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dinstinct%252Bpad%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=instinct+pad

PrimaLoft® Infinity insulation uses highly compressible, water-resistant fibers to trap body heat and keep cold at bay, translating into a warm R-value of 4.4-4.6.
View Quote

that compares pretty favorably but in looking around a bit, there is a big agnes that weighs only an ounce more and has an R value of 5, and a thermarest neoair xtherm that has an r value of 5.7 and ways 10 oz less and is 5" longer.  (the last is good for me as i am 6'5")
too bad it's $230!

btw, the lost ranger bag only has insulation on 3 sides.  the bottom is just a thin sleeve that you slide your pad into.  so really the only thing between me and the ground is the pad and two thin layers of synthetic
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]
This might sound odd i but i dont use a sleep pad/mat instead i use one of those foil space blankets designed to reflect your heat back at you and its worked pretty good so far. Got the idea from a cross country ultralight backpacker i met.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Good Gawd!  Compared to these packs, I am not fit to go past the back yard.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By taliv:
nice packs, but dude, people 'bug out' from places like chicago or NY to places like WY.   If you're already in WY...  just stock up on hot cocoa for when the rest of us get there.

you can make a lot of that stuff lighter, and you can pack a lot tighter.  for instance, instead of carrying a whole roll of two types of tape, just wrap a couple feet of it around that silver bottle.
is that really a whole spool of 3 different colors of thread?  it's hard to tell from the pics, but why?
get rid of the individual packaging for most of that stuff
get a smaller bottle of the bug spray
swap your full size roll of TP for a small flat pack of some baby wipes.  your roll of TP will never survive getting wet.
not sure what part of WY you are in, but last time i drove through, i didn't see a single tree, so what were you planning to use that hatchet on?
View Quote

That seems like wisdom until you live here. Being able to survive in the cold and go long distances on foot are needed out here. If we had a moderate earthquake and bad snow storm, you might not have food or gas coming in for awhile. If you are driving on some random back roads and break down, you might have to hoof it. In that sense an emergency bag is crucial, even with a gun (considering some of the wildlife issues around here). I would agree lighter is better. Trees are plentiful here, just not in the crappy I80 corridor. Pack looks good, I have several bags set up in case I had to get out of here and try to get to Idaho Falls (more natural disaster setup). If I really needed to I could expedition the packs and hike them into location to sit out whatever is happening.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Tents are the spawn of satan.
View Quote

100% agreed.

Being that I'm in the south, it doesn't get very cold for very long around here.

For that reason, I run a hammock 10 months out of the year.

When it is cold, I use an older woodland 3 layer mil bag on the ground with a self inflating mat.

this one
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#22]
This is a great thread guys.  I have a ghb but I'm just getting into long range shooting and I want to set up a pack and gear it towards long range shooting and being in the field for a 5 days. Maybe I'll get some pictures and a list up in the next few months.  Keep the info coming guys
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JeredMD:
I was also thinking about getting one of those sniper pack combat belt from HSGi (I think that is who makes it) for hunting. Anyone ever used one for this kinda scenario? seems like a good set up. I was thinking for turkey this would be great to hold calls, water, IFAK, and some ammo. For hunting with my pack, i was thinking IFAk would go into it and mayeb some other gear to make room for more water. Can't have enough water out here, especially hiking and cleaning big game (If ya wanna call a 100lb deer big game )
View Quote

I use something similar to this as a dedicated gun bag. I have it set up so that it doesn't interfere with whatever is on my regular pants belt. I try to keep it set up so that everything in it is 100% gun related. I did at one point add one of those molle backed gun rest things which proved unusable. Actually I would say it was usable but there was zero net gain in performance using it in this set up so I dumped it. It beats the hell out of trying to run a bolt gun out of a purse/shoulder bag.

I haven't used what HSGI makes but if I knew it existed before I spent the money on my current set up I would have probably tried it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Excuse the crappy pics.

Generic Urban Bag.

Not pictured is the generic gymbag that the AR goes into for travel.
Idea being that I want to look a lot more like a college student or urban nerd while I make my escape from or move into an area.

I'm a huge fan of the Emo shelters and hammocks. I keep a one quart canteen and cup in almost all my bags. They work and I can get them locally for about $5.00.
This is a biolight. It cost almost $200, it sucks and I hate it. You can cook on it and charge anything with a USP with it, provided you have 2 hours to feed little bits of brush and sticks into it. I am much happier with solar draped over the top of my ruck so it can charge while I do other stuff, like watch for game or nap.

Batterries in a pelican case. I pack ticking into it to eliminate rattling.

Sleeping bag and bag liner. This time of year I take the bag. In the summer I just take the liner. Not pictured is a woodland Goretex bivy cover.

Ass washing kit. Campsuds, micro fiber towel, and packed in behind it are wet wipes from MREs.

Food and water.
I really can't stand packing full MREs so I take them apart and pack them that way. I refill my food pocket on my pants from the bag when needed. I like the life straw well enough. I have used it with some really gross water and haven't died or gotten sick yet. I discard them after each trip if I use them after having a mold issue.

Knife and gun maintenance stuff. What I keep in the bags is pretty generic, each gun type has a kit that goes into the woods with it.

PVS-7, Battery charger, minimag, surefire fury, baseplate compass, multi tool, and sharpie. The orange thing is a battery that will charge my phone 3 times or my GPS twice. It will fully charge either device in about half an hour. I really like a good baseplate compass compared to an engineering compass for banging around it the woods. I use Mytopo.com for maps as I can customize them.

The orange thing in this picture is a blast match. I carry a ferrocerium rod as well however I like to keep a blast match in the bag because it is much easier to use with cold numb hands and decreased mental competency AKA the cold stupids. It is the only orange thing in it's part of the bag and a piece of trioxane is under the cap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Another set up. The bags have proven to work well, though I am going to modify the smaller waist bag. The rifle needs a lot of work though.

The bag makes a great rifle rest. The other bag is a repurposed medical bag. After I make some modifications to it it should work great.

Better view of using the bag as a rest.

Ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#27]
Originally Posted By Iliveinatrailer:
Another set up. The bags have proven to work well, though I am going to modify the smaller waist bag. The rifle needs a lot of work though.
http://i.imgur.com/keqSSDD.jpg?1
The bag makes a great rifle rest. The other bag is a repurposed medical bag. After I make some modifications to it it should work great.
http://i.imgur.com/SzDGied.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UQ1InLh.jpg
Ammo.
http://i.imgur.com/WC45GPu.jpg
View Quote

Did I miss your contents list?

I need to post up a pic of my setup.

ETA: If it's the same as above, then my bad.

What is the purpose/role that you've got this setup?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Ammo.
View Quote

Dude, you have some nice setups.  What caliber are you shooting on the last one?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Here's the heavy pack.  It's more of my bug out pack, but also set up for my .308 AR.   It has camo netting, for a hide, also some for the rifle, and a tarp.  This one has the spotting scope, the tripod, and various other shooting accessories, such as a bean bag, and hearing protection.  It has similar survival gear, but more of it, and multiple forms.  The sunscreen, and bug dope may seem overkill, but I burn pretty easy, and mosquitoes suck.  

There are white scraps to add to the camo if there is snow on the ground.  Gloves, a veil, a hat, wire cutters, a folding hunting knife, sharpener, flashlight, headlamp, ducttape, survival blankets, and first aid kit make up more of what's there.  Not sure if the hatchet is necessary but it comes in pretty handy making camp.  There is aslo a life straw for water, batteries, lint, flint/steel, lighters, candles, fuel tabs, small grill, and an eating utensil kit.

2 mags with 20rds each.  

28lbs, without water
http://<a href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8572/16476648491_9c5d8c07fc_c.jpg</a>
20150208_180702 by guns762, on Flickr" />

http://<a href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/16476647611_d08c9b3f46_c.jpg</a>
20150208_181342 by guns762, on Flickr" />
View Quote

Wow!

Your stuff looks-

NEW!

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By davebl:

Dude, you have some nice setups.  What caliber are you shooting on the last one?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By davebl:
Ammo.

Currently a .308, but that may change to 6.5 Creedmoor. The gun needs loads of work which will involve removing the barrel so I'm thinking I may as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

View All Quotes
Ammo.

Pretty much the same as the other set up but with more long term use in mind. More food, socks, foot powder, ammo, and so forth. Next time I'm bored I'll head out to the barn with a camera and lay it all out.

This is my primary hunting gear and alternative camping gear for longer stays. The bag works well enough as a rest that I typically don't take the tripod unless the weather is going to be bad. The waist bag only goes out when the bolt gun goes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Pretty much the same as the other set up but with more long term use in mind. More food, socks, foot powder, ammo, and so forth. Next time I'm bored I'll head out to the barn with a camera and lay it all out.

This is my primary hunting gear and alternative camping gear for longer stays. The bag works well enough as a rest that I typically don't take the tripod unless the weather is going to be bad. The waist bag only goes out when the bolt gun goes.
View Quote

So like a 3 day rig?

We have a similar mentality on the waist bag.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]

So like a 3 day rig?

View All Quotes

So like a 3 day rig?

It's great for up to about a week depending on the time of year. Beyond that the lack of frame is a real draw back.

I've tried a lot of options and the waist bag is the way to go for bolt guns. The bag I have needs some minor tweaking. I would like to partition the interior a bit and sew some cartridge loops onto the top cover, as well as make the top a bit more rigid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#35]
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but a cleaning rod would have been really handy the weekend when I had a case stick on the first shot.

I bought a cheap Hoppies kit with a three piece aluminum rod.  I wrapped it up inside a hand towel to keep them straight, but I think an M16 butt stock cleaning kit may be the real answer.  

Anyone have a favorite compact cleaning rod they put in their pack?

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but a cleaning rod would have been really handy the weekend when I had a case stick on the first shot.

I bought a cheap Hoppies kit with a three piece aluminum rod.  I wrapped it up inside a hand to well to keep them straight, but I think an M16 butt stock cleaning kit may be the real answer.  

Anyone have a favorite compact cleaning rod they put in their pack.

View Quote

that's what I have
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#37]

that's what I have
View All Quotes

I bought a cheap Hoppies kit with a three piece aluminum rod.  I wrapped it up inside a hand to well to keep them straight, but I think an M16 butt stock cleaning kit may be the real answer.  

Anyone have a favorite compact cleaning rod they put in their pack.

that's what I have

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I bought a cheap Hoppies kit with a three piece aluminum rod.  I wrapped it up inside a hand towel to keep them straight, but I think an M16 butt stock cleaning kit may be the real answer.  

Anyone have a favorite compact cleaning rod they put in their pack?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#39]
definitely.  i keep this rod in my kit.  http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-rods-amp-accessories/cleaning-rods/rapid-rod-prod25573.aspx

i use the borka tool kit that i got at rifles only which includes torque wrench and pretty much all the tools you need for bolt gun (action bolts, rings, etc) and i throw in the cleaning rod and extra tools to zero turrets.

core shooting has a super cool new set of torque wrenches in a little portable kit and i think they call them fixit sticks or something like that.  probably would have bought a set this weekend if i didn't already have the borka

i wouldn't run one on my rifle as pictured above
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:47:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0331OC] [#40]
Viper Hood
25ft Rope
TT Malice Ruck
Reversible Rain Fly
Brown Screen
WigWam Wool Socks
Gortex Top
OR Beanie
gloves
4L MSR Bag
Multicam Tarp
Surefire 60rnd Mag
Scarf
AA Batteries
Sketch Kit
VS-17 Air Panel
Nalgene
Jetboil w/ cannister
Bunggee Cords
Cleaning Kit
IFAK
SAM Splint
Bandaids
Wet Wipes
Level 3 Survival Kit
Note Pad
Tripod w/ HOG Saddle
Weighs about 45lbs with 5L of water. Able to carry 7 quarts of water.

Items needed: poncho liner and LRF.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Bump to keep out of the archives
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll play

I'm lucky to own land and have access to adjoining land that has a lot of varying topography.  A lot of times I'll go out and camp at night to scout/watch for hogs or I'll go to actually hunt deer.  If I'm hunting I will get out super early and spend the whole day.  I always take my pack, but if I'm hunting I rarely bring overnight supplies.  Another thing is my "could go wrong" scenarios.  Those usually aren't attacks by Russians or Zombies, but more likely breaking a leg, snakebites or accidental GSW.  

My pack.  I use a Kelty MAP3500.  I like a larger pack than a daypack, but I don't use hip belts.  Its on the heavier side, but very simplistic.  Also fits my non-tactical looks.  If forced, I can cram a broken down SBR in it as well.  I keep the shemag and gloves stuffed in a side panel, glove carabiner through a compression strap.  This one is brand new, sold off my coyote one as I like this color better actually.

Anytime I go into the woods I bring a side arm and a knife.  Pictured is a USPc 9mm and a benchie folder.  Sometimes in the spring I'll carry a .357 for some of the larger creatures that are waking up.  Not pictured is a simple Wilderness Systems belt because its holding my pants up.  Also toss my cell phone into the pile (its taking the photo)

I always bring basic tools/survival items.  Pictured below, left to right, top to bottom:  chemlights (IR and VIS), IR and VIS flashlights (fenix and SF), Compass, Havalon skinning knife, Gerber multitool (GI issue, my favorite), pack towel, batteries (CR123A), FA kit with quick clot and a really cool survival kit in the black box, Petzl Zipka headlamp, water proof matches, 3 more ways to start a fire in a waterproof ALOK sack, laplander hand saw.  Bottom row is a set of Steiner binos that usually are around my neck, small rain proof notebook and pen, cliff notes to my radio and more batteries.

I prefer the hand saw over an axe, much more efficient as I don't need to fall larger trees, only small limbs for simple fires. I also have 4 different ways to start a fire and keep these in separate areas in my pack.  When I was younger, I was camping with friends and we capsized a boat on a lake, in December and had to spend a day on a small island until we could flag someone down.  We lost our fire starting abilities because all those eggs were in one basket. I learned a lot from that trip.  

Comms are simple:  Yaesu VX-8, remote mic with GPS adapter.  In the bag I have a battery adapter with two sets of lithiums and a slim jim dual band antenna that works great

NVG:  I'm lucky and was able to build into a MOD-3 setup.  I use a Nightcap with counterweight.  I keep the NODS in the padded case in my pack, it has waaayyyy too much velcro on it.

Mess kit, titanium kettle, titanium spork, ultralight stove.  I use stainless water bottles because I can also boil in them.  For filtration I have a MIOX that I have used for years and just recently wore out an MSR miniworks so I replaced it with this gravity fed version of a Sawyer filter.  Haven't used it, yet.  Food is normally dehydrated stuff from Academy.  Also pictured is a bag with ass wipe, wet wipes for my hands and trash bags.  Also some instant coffee (I love this stuff when camping, I even have a portable french press but this shit coffee brings back a lot of memories) and some instant gatorade.

Sleeping and camp setup.  I have a ultralight down bag thats pictured.  It will get as small as the green rolled up pillow.  I can't sleep good if I am not comfortable so I have a really nice thermal rest pad, inflatable luxury pillow and my down bag.  All that goes into a OR Bivy I've had for years.  It has a mesh top that I normally use as its get humid inside.  Ive weathered a freak downpour in it and love it.  Also pictured is an 8x8 nylon siltarp, reflective and non-reflective paracord,

Lastly are the guns.  I love clone guns.  If I'm scouting or staying at night, I carry an SBR with IR lasers in the event I get to shoot some pics.  If I'm hunting, 308 AR.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty close to two years since I started this thread.  

I thought I should go back and do a second round look at what's changed.

How about your pack? Added?  Removed?

Updating soon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#45]
Updating ........

I reread the original post to see if my thoughts had changed any, compared to almost two years ago.  For the most part, the purpose for each pack has stayed the same, although in use, they might have evolved a bit.

The packs have been in use heavily through two summers, and probably two weekends a month on average in the winter, spring, and fall.  During the summer, one or the other packs went to the cabin with me almost every weekend, for an average of 30 days during each summer.  

Most often they just got hung on the back of my RzR when I was away from the cabin as an emergency kit.  I carried the lighter pack on hikes.  Any shooting activities involved the heavy pack.

So how are they holding up?  The LBT pack is easier to carry, and rides better on my shoulders.    I like the waist band better, and the strap between the shoulder straps gets used a lot.  Of course this may be because it's 10 lbs lighter.

The LA Police Gear bag has more wear on it, but it goes out more for shooting, and the RZR rides also add to the wear.  I've reinforced the shoulder straps with some synthetic sinew stitches.  I figured with the 26.4lbs, it couldn't hurt.  I also had to replace one of the zipper pull strings.  

Here are both bags with their respective rifles that they support, although I've gone more to adapting each bag with correct mags, and adding the range finder, depending on what the activity will be.  Long hikes get the lighter bag, shooting activities always get the heavy bag.

LR308JP weight 16lbs with a 20rd mag
20" 5.56 AR weights 11lbs with a 20rd mag.

Contents of each pouch are displayed in the pictures.  
I still a have been too lazy to limit the size of some items like the duct tape and light thread.

I did however, find some smaller sunscreen and bug dope.  I added some baby wipes, removed the larger and heavier MREs, but added some granola bars.  I kept the paracord, and some midweight cord.  This stuff has been handy for setting up shade shelters when we've been out in the hot sun.  I'm not sacrificing any of my TP role.

This group is from my "tool" pouch.  I think I added the LaRue scope mount tool and wrench, a couple normal lighters, a cleaning pull cord for .308, and some sewing needles and a small spool of sinew.  

GSDs just can't stay away when putting anything on the floor.

First aid pouch
Still pretty similar, but I need to get another Israeli bandage to fit somewhere in there.  I thought I'd added one.

There are some allergy pills, imodium, and motrin in there too.  Couple roles of athletic tape, and a couple compression bandages.  

This pocket has my range finder, small tripod for it, a mosquito head net, rifle camo wrap, and a veil.  The small back box is a phone holder that works as a rifle rest on top of my main tripod.

Main pouch:
I've removed the spotting scope.  Just too heavy to justify.  There is a tarp, and a 6x10  camo net.  Both have come in very handy in setting up shade when we've been out in the hot sun.  The tent stakes, hatchet, and tripod also have aided in that shelter.  After reading suggestions here, there are one pair of wool socks, wool gloves, a hand towel, a rifle cleaning kit with rod, and a water purification pump. Extra batteries, a flashlight, ear plugs and optic wipes are also there.

Couple items I found missing were a fixed blade knife, and a head lamp, so these were added.  

Total-  26.4 lbs, includes 40rds of 308

As someone else also mentioned, this is my favorite rest when out shooting.
[/url]

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#46]
My lightweight pack as it sits today.  With 10 lbs less shit in there,  this is my normal hiking pack.    

Slightly smaller first aid kit.  Still has two compression bandages, and two roles of athletic tape. This pack has an Israeli bandage and two MREs.

My tool pouch is also leaner.
Several methods to start fire, bug dope, sunscreen, a whistle/compass, flashlight,baby wipes, paracord, and a .22 rifle cleaning pull cord.

Main pouch has a poncho,  kneepads, TP, knife, binocs, headlamp, camo wrap for rifle, cleaning rod kit, woo, socks, emergency blanket, some heavy wax cord, and my Ghillie hat that gets rolled up and strapped to the side.  

The range finder gets added most often.
16.4lbs with 30yrds of 5.56

As a comparison, my hunting pack weights 16lbs, with a couple bottles of water
It's more comfortable to carry, but hotter than either of the other two packs.

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]
What type of fabric do you have tied you your packs?

I've played around with some jute one a pack but it just kinda made it fuzzy, didn't quite do what I wanted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:
What type of fabric do you have tied you your packs?

I've played around with some jute one a pack but it just kinda made it fuzzy, didn't quite do what I wanted.
View Quote

I stole the idea from @Sparks556.  He ties it to everything.   I think I used scraps that I used for my Ghillie jacket.  It's just a light weight canvas I think.  I found it at the local fabric store.  Might not be the best choice if you live where it rains a bunch, as it might start adding weight if soaked.  Luckily, we live in WY, and that's not a problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Yep I use a FR Shemagh that I cut strips and tie on everything. it is nice and light, dries fast, and is flame resistant it has worked well so far.

This is my obr with some of the material on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#50]
You guys have some pretty awesome packs. I've been wanting to put something simple together and have gleaned a lot of useful info from this thread.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top