Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2015 10:27:46 PM EDT
Hello!

I used to live out west in Arizona, and there was plenty of public land to shoot at all sorts of distances.  Not so much back up here in WI.  

What states do you find have the best public and available spaces for ELR shooting?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Kansas!

Here's one - http://www.rebelridgeoutfitters.com
And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Just ran across their site the other day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Eastern NC has a lot of flat open spaces. Just have to befriend a few farmers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much all of the western states from Colorado to California have BLM lands in pretty big wads, some more than others. Arizona, Nevada and Utah are mostly BLM and MOA (military operations areas) with some scattered national forests and a few cities. The eastern half of California is littered with bodacious stretches of BLM land. Personally I think certain areas of the Mojave and Sonoran deserts are just about as perfect for ELR as things get.

Note that BLM land isn't automatically somewhere you can go and ELR shoot. There are restricted areas of BLM too but you will find it's probably the easiest place to deal with ELR at. BLM and MOA's border each other very commonly and there are not always fences. You want to be sure where you are. Another tip: ants in the Mojave react to DEET like it's made of VX nerve gas. Never get bit again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By prebans:
Hello!

I used to live out west in Arizona, and there was plenty of public land to shoot at all sorts of distances.  Not so much back up here in WI.  

What states do you find have the best public and available spaces for ELR shooting?

Mike
View Quote

There is the Winnequah Gun club in Lodi.

Is 1200 yards enough or are you looking for even further?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally don't want to pay the money just to shoot at those distances. It's close to $600 for the first year to shoot there and with my busy schedule I'd probably only make it down there once or twice a year. If you lived closer or don't mind traveling it's probably worth it though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Idaho.  I used to shoot out to 1,400 there.  3-4 miles would easily be doable, assuming you could actually find something with that kind of range.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Utah
Colorado
Nevada
Idaho
Wyoming
West Texas

This is just one range complex in Utah.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madwis15:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madwis15:
Originally Posted By prebans:
Hello!

Didn't they ban .50 shooting?

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Idaho is a horrible place for ELR shooting. Utah and Nevada have some nice areas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF is all that white stuff????
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
^^^ Frozen liberal tears.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
New Mexico!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PeekaBooAuditor:
View Quote

What the range looks like during my Winter courses.  I have a Winter DM course coming up next month Feb 26-27th at North Springs, which is the range in the pics.

You get a chance to see what your real capabilities are in cold weather, as well as what your rifle/optics/mount/magazines/ammunition will do in the cold.

Lots of fun actually.  We do a bonus survival course overnight in the campgrounds at the range as well, passing on decades of lessons learned in extreme cold climates that can help you if you ever are faced with them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

What the range looks like during my Winter courses.  I have a Winter DM course coming up next month Feb 26-27th at North Springs, which is the range in the pics.

You get a chance to see what your real capabilities are in cold weather, as well as what your rifle/optics/mount/magazines/ammunition will do in the cold.

Lots of fun actually.  We do a bonus survival course overnight in the campgrounds at the range as well, passing on decades of lessons learned in extreme cold climates that can help you if you ever are faced with them.
View All Quotes

I really want to get my butt up there someday to take a class with you.

Do you do only do classes for .mil and LEOs, or do you offer classes for the novice level?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dbrad197:

Do you do only do classes for .mil and LEOs, or do you offer classes for the novice level?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrad197:

All of the above.  I would recommend a basic AR15 Intro course before attending the DM, unless you have spent a lot of time with the AR15 or your particular rifle already, so that manual of arms isn't an obstacle when we are focusing on trajectory, windage, and positional shooting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Idaho.  How many miles do you want to shoot?

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
NOT OHIO!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
CA, NV, UT, CO, AZ, NM, ID, WY, MT is a start, lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Kentucky, perry county. Two spots within 20 minutes of me that i can get 2000+ yards
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Southern California, 1 hour north of LA.. yes shitty state but 40 minutes in one direction I have a range with steel up to 1,000 yards and free paper at between 100-400 yards and in another direction I have steel from 200-600 yards and paper at 25-200yards. Just a few hours away I can pretty much have any distance in the Mohave.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SAFEshooters:
Eastern NC has a lot of flat open spaces. Just have to befriend a few farmers.
View Quote

I would be quite Interested in some of these places, I need to get to talking to some farmers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buoux] [#22]
NV - this is the only image I've got to post.....

Attachment Attached File

ETA - How many miles do you want to shoot?

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
SE Oregon is fantastic for LR shooting also.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
If these guys make a book map of it, you can probably find a place to shoot long range there.

Except Yellowstone
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Look up Long Range Shooters of Utah on YouTube and FB. You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#26]
There are a lot of places in AZ that have a shitload of public lands where its legal to shoot...

...but long range shooting is tough because the whole area is choked with brush and vegetation and cut-up with hills and washes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By an_hero:
Look up Long Range Shooters of Utah on YouTube and FB. You can thank me later.
View Quote
Thanks for posting this. I just looked at there web site. Suggest folks check out there milk jug challenge. 1000, 1200, 1500 yards and 1 mile.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Obrez:
NOT OHIO!
View Quote
Thunder Valley
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bigcheese920:
I personally don't want to pay the money just to shoot at those distances. It's close to $600 for the first year to shoot there and with my busy schedule I'd probably only make it down there once or twice a year. If you lived closer or don't mind traveling it's probably worth it though.
View Quote
Ha! I  would happily pay that. My cost to shoot to 1100 is $300 +1day vacation everytime. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Wanabgunsmith:
Kentucky, perry county. Two spots within 20 minutes of me that i can get 2000+ yards
View Quote
Hey is your place open to public and if so can you share information?  I'm in Richmond, Ky/Madison County and would consider driving to Perry Co if I can't find anything closer.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#32]
ky also, in for answer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 444] [#33]
Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:
Thunder Valley
View Quote
Rayner's

http://raynersrange.com/

Well, actually, I am not completely sure they go past 1000
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By boomeruni:
Idaho is a horrible place for ELR shooting. Utah and Nevada have some nice areas.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Ive got some nice farmland in Indiana we can shoot year round down a couple lanes.  In northwest Indiana, its pretty flat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Unless you’re in NE Ohio, which I’m not......

Hopefully going to make a day of it next year. Not looking forward to the 4hr drive one way, but it’s the closest long range place to shoot.

Hopefully I can get some permission from some farmers around home, otherwise I won’t get to practice past 300 before the trip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Nevada is hard to beat, 20min drive from the LV strip and you can shoot for miles in any direction.

Eastern Oregon is pretty awesome too. I’ve got a range less than a half hour away that has targets out to 1400yds you can shoot 24hrs a day 365 days a year. Plenty of BLM land too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Shoot! We shoot out to 1,600 on our property. Need to go an hour and a half to go longer…

Oregon, WY, ID, MT, UT you choose…
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wspe1] [#39]
Originally Posted By boomeruni:
View Quote

Agree. Too many people, private property and houses are everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Oklahoma, my local range goes to 1350 and their is a place to shoot out to a mile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top