Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2015 12:07:23 AM EDT
Trying to find others that have experience with this gun.   I've read the ballistics,  seen the videos and talked to Dave. But I'd love to hear from those that own one.  Mine should be ready sept 2015
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By SoreFoot834:

Trying to find others that have experience with this gun.   I've read the ballistics,  seen the videos and talked to Dave. But I'd love to hear from those that own one.  Mine should be ready sept 2015

Thanks
View Quote
I had a 375 Allen Mag built by Kirby of course and it is a very similar cartridge.  3250 ish with 350 SMKs.  I owned it for several years shooting it out to and beyond 3000 yards with success. Hitting within 1/2 MOA of  the hole in a rock face you are shooting at 3000 yards is a hell of a rush, shooter accomplishment and ability that less common than the 1% Democrats hate so much, but can be a reality with the skill needed and a big 375 like you are getting.  There is Virtually NO other rifle cartridge with the long range capabilities of a big 375.  408 Cheytac,  416 Barrett, 50 BMG they cannot approach what can be accomplished with a 350g 375 bullet started at 3300 FPS.  It is a fantastic long range cartridge.  As I am sure you are aware if you have in on order with Dave is that it is a VERY expensive rifle to feed and run.  I did hunt with mine where the situation allowed, my rifle weighed 18.5 lbs with a 32" barrel so carrying it in the field was a difficult endeavor.  After purchasing a suppressor in 2011 for the first time I have moved to shooting 99.9% suppressed everything and suppressing the 375AM by adding 2 more lbs and 10" to the package was ridiculous. So I sold it to one of Kirbys customers for 100%  everything I had in it.  As far as raw data.  I know Daves 375 has a different shoulder and case taper so the capacity will be different but I was using roughly 132-136 g of Retumbo with 350 SMKs in my rifle.  Right before I sold it Kirby sent me some data on testing he had been doing with RL33 and 3300+ with less pressure than Retumbo was EASILY obtainable.  

It was a fun rifle, expensive, not practical but damn fun and quite the conversation piece.  I know Dave uses some modular rear bolt setup rifles so the OAL may be far superior with a setup like that if that's what you ordered. If you have specific questions about this subject feel free to e mail or IM me. A great source of information on these big 375 is over at Longrangehunting.com Dave and Kirby are both regular contributors to the forums there, if you don't already know.  I have found there is not much of a precision long range crew here at ARFCOM.

Gratuitous picture of the big 375

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Im sorry for not getting back sooner. I've been kicked off due to the fact I didn't have a "paid email account".   Great info and awesome pic! Thank you for getting back to me.  Since this post, I had ordered the custom .375vm from Dave.  He said I should have it Aug/Sept sometime. Most likely going to have to drive up to Thunder Valley Precision in OH to zero it, since Tom has the 1 mile targets.  I might be able to go longer if I pay him to take me out?  Only scope I have right now for that gun is a Vortex 6-24x52 PST FFP.  I hope it will hold zero with the recoil from it. I don't think it would make much difference to put my uso 5-25x58 on it as it close to same as the vortex.  I am blind as a bat and will more than likely have to shoot blind and pray my data is right on. I haven't found much more info on the .375vm. Found a lot on the weatherby, and H&H.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wyoutlaw] [#3]
I also ran a 375 AllenMag for several years. The big 375s are extremely impressive and I'm sure you'll LOVE yours. I never really hunted with mine as it was more then I wanted to carry. I had a lot of fun with the rifle but eventually had to move on to other things. The only thing I really didn't care for was the quality of the Jamison brass...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top