Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 10:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knife_Sniper]
Hi

Some of you may know me from other areas of the forum. For the last few years it has become a dream of mine to become a rifleman. Weather I have achieved that goal is for others to decide.

My goal is to spread the word: we can all master basic marksmanship and to do so requires only minor study.

The first thing i would like to discuss is practical riflery with the red dot sight. Their is a mythos about red dots and target obscurance that I never understood. Long considered to be a CQB sight, I found its utility far greater than any irons in a practical shooting sense.

If we take a red dot, a 50 yard zero, and utilize three repeatable holds, we can master hitting man sized targets at out to 400 yards repeatedly.

The chest represents our POA POI from 0-200 yards.

The head represents our POA for a 300 yard target, and 5.56 will drop handily into the upper chest.

The hat represents our POA at 400 yards whereby we visualize a top hat on the target and shoot it off thereby dropping rounds on the mid to lower torso.

These three holds do wonders to ensuring easy, "quick and dirty" hits to man sized silhouettes.

Extrapolating this further with wind we can utilize another method of ensuring quick and dirty hits using a red dot.

We don't need any wind correction from 0-200 yards. Remember our target is a human torso and a 10 MPH crosswind will only push you to the edge of the target, but a hit is a hit.

Driving the target out to 300 yards all wind correction can be applied by aiming at the face and then moving the dot over the shoulder of the silhouette regardless of 5 or 10 mph wind.

Pushing 400 yards, things become a little more imaginative, but still easy to grasp. At this distance we must not only shoot off the hat, but wind corrections require more difficult Kentucky windage methods.

For 5 MPH wind, aim at "the hat" and bring your dot over to the imaginary verticle line created by the edge of the torso.

At a 10MPH crosswind, the shot will need your imagination: imagine someone standing shoulder to shoulder with your intended target, and knock their hat off.

So in a practical sense, utilizing a few simple tricks and repeatable methods of using your "minds eye" can extend your effective range with a variety of 5.56 loadings and a red dot provided we aren't cutting the velocity back too far from SBR weapons.

To make this even better, many popular center fire loadings can utilize this method with a 50 yard zero and optics. To read more, visit the chest, the head, and the hat
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
THANKS
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#2]
"Quick & dirty"  requires a considerable amount of hands on and rounds down range.

There are no short cuts!

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The three holds are easily repeatable as they use the human body as a BDC reference. The amount of time to master wind calls and judging distance would be the harder aspect of this method.

I have used it in practice at 400 yard moving targets and was the only one on the line to consistently get hits without magnification.

Everything requires practice, but with some forethought to your setup, you can really develop proficiency quickly with these types of methods. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info OP!!   Tag, and Thank You!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used a similar system in Action Rifle Matches and it works quite well.

Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag! I'll definitely put this to use. Thanks     (:
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
400 yards is a chip shot unless it s really windy.

Anyone worth their salt should easily be able to hit a man size target. Hell you should ease my be able to hit a 12" plate at 400 yards.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
This I can remember!
Gj keeping it simple for people like me  
Also, I live in Southeast KY, and I do believe I was born with an innate ability to read wind...
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:
Hi

Some of you may know me from other areas of the forum. For the last few years it has become a dream of mine to become a rifleman. Weather I have achieved that goal is for others to decide.

My goal is to spread the word: we can all master basic marksmanship and to do so requires only minor study.

The first thing i would like to discuss is practical riflery with the red dot sight. Their is a mythos about red dots and target obscurance that I never understood. Long considered to be a CQB sight, I found its utility far greater than any irons in a practical shooting sense.

If we take a red dot, a 50 yard zero, and utilize three repeatable holds, we can master hitting man sized targets at out to 400 yards repeatedly.

http://i2.wp.com/www.thenewrifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/BDC-and-your-Red-Dot.jpg?zoom=3&resize=506%2C527

The chest represents our POA POI from 0-200 yards.

The head represents our POA for a 300 yard target, and 5.56 will drop handily into the upper chest.

The hat represents our POA at 400 yards whereby we visualize a top hat on the target and shoot it off thereby dropping rounds on the mid to lower torso.

These three holds do wonders to ensuring easy, "quick and dirty" hits to man sized silhouettes.

Extrapolating this further with wind we can utilize another method of ensuring quick and dirty hits using a red dot.

We don't need any wind correction from 0-200 yards. Remember our target is a human torso and a 10 MPH crosswind will only push you to the edge of the target, but a hit is a hit.

Driving the target out to 300 yards all wind correction can be applied by aiming at the face and then moving the dot over the shoulder of the silhouette regardless of 5 or 10 mph wind.

Pushing 400 yards, things become a little more imaginative, but still easy to grasp. At this distance we must not only shoot off the hat, but wind corrections require more difficult Kentucky windage methods.

For 5 MPH wind, aim at "the hat" and bring your dot over to the imaginary verticle line created by the edge of the torso.

At a 10MPH crosswind, the shot will need your imagination: imagine someone standing shoulder to shoulder with your intended target, and knock their hat off.

So in a practical sense, utilizing a few simple tricks and repeatable methods of using your "minds eye" can extend your effective range with a variety of 5.56 loadings and a red dot provided we aren't cutting the velocity back too far from SBR weapons.

To make this even better, many popular center fire loadings can utilize this method with a 50 yard zero and optics. To read more, visit the chest, the head, and the hat
View Quote

I agree with pretty much all of this and have become to find little practical use for bdc scopes... either it's close enuff for this method or long enough to need to dial.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
anyone try this out yet and get a good result?
View Quote

I've come to similar conclusions, it works.  Wind reading is of course the hardest part.  20+mph gusts at 400 gets tricky for first round hit probability
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beachhead0:
400 yards is a chip shot unless it s really windy.

Anyone worth their salt should easily be able to hit a man size target. Hell you should ease my be able to hit a 12" plate at 400 yards.
View Quote

400 yards on a 12" plate with a non-magnified optic a chip shot?  I'm not THAT old, and my vision is corrected to 20/20, and I can't hardly SEE a 12" plate at 400 yards, let alone shoot at it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top