Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2017 6:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ASRM]
I just bought 4 inch AR500 plates, friend of mine bought some a while back.

Trying to come up with a portable stand that I can throw in my SUV, plus also a decent way to hang them.

I have seen the firehose method, friend used chain but that lasted about 5 rounds, same with a bungee, both were hit by poorly aimed fire.

What are others doing? Plan is to set them up about 150-250 yards out

Very similar to these but are cut for a carriage bolt

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guyina4x4] [#3]
I have the same/similar targets and I've been checking out youtube for ideas
I think I'm going to try this one

https://youtu.be/hiVc0qREaOA
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a section of old conveyor belt. Plates stop swinging pretty quickly, doesn't get blown around by wind etc. and I'd probably shoot my barrel out before I shot through the whole (~10" wide) strip.

For the stand itself, I use lengths of rebar and some homemade brackets made out of 1.5" round tubing similar to these:

Whole setup breaks down easily, isn't overly awkward/bulky and is basically bombproof.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
Mine has a piece of tire rubber attached to the back with carriage bolts from the front.  The rubber then loops over.  The other end of the rubber has two pieces of angle iron in it, one with a hole in the center.  You flip the rubber behind the target and hang the angle iron over a piece of large rebar welded into a T.  

The rubber makes the target ring like a gong. This is important, the further you place your targets.   The bolts will get shot up over time, but I haven't had to replace mine yet. 

pic soon:

Conveyor belts are made out of that rubber, so if you have any large industry near, like copper mines, a local supply house will have rolls of conveyor material, usually for cheap, sometimes they cut off a piece for free. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Great ideas, hoping to keep my costs down as much as possible, I was able to build some pistol stands for the scenario targets from LE Targets with PVC and some 1X2 lumber, hoping to do similar for the rifle practice.

As noted in my OP, we blew the tops off the carriage bolts and one of the guys shooting blew the chains on them, so that idea is out.

Mostly shooting 223 but will be doing the occasional 270/308 cals, buddy of mine builds some super nice higher cal hunting rifles and we go out and test, sight in. Just something satisfying about getting a nice ping feedback on target hits.

Thanks for the ideas
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:
I have the same/similar targets and I've been checking out youtube for ideas
I think I'm going to try this one

https://youtu.be/hiVc0qREaOA
View Quote
That looks like a neat idea!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What grade of carriage bolt? If you can find Grade 8 locally, that's what you need, mine have taken direct hits from .223 and up and shrugged it off like it was nothing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:20:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#10]
There are lots of solutions. What I found was that hardware and frame material gets chewed up pretty quickly - if not from direct hits, then shrapnel. 

Sure, it doesn't cost that much to replace some bolts or carabiners or chain on their own... but to replace all of them, plus rebar and/or other frame material, adds up over time. It seemed like every time I came back from shooting I needed to replace at least one component. 

Also, if you're not setting up a permanent range on your property, hauling 5 pieces of rebar or other steel framing materials, plus whatever you use for joints, plus your hanging hardware, plus the steel target out to the distance you're going to shoot - hundreds of yards - and then having to assemble it... takes time away from my shooting. I hated spending 20-30 minutes just to get all my steel set up before I could start shooting, then another 20-30 minutes to disassemble and haul everything back. 

This is what I was using before:

Attachment Attached File

I ended up getting some new plates that have a single 7/8" hole in them, and then just getting $8 shepherds hooks from home depot. I've only had to replace one so far (from a direct hit) in the last year. They are quick, simple and easy to set up. I just walk out with three hooks and three plates, and put them in the ground and hang the plates. That is WAY nicer than having to haul 15 pieces of rebar, 6 blocks of wood, 6 lengths of chain, and three plates. Obviously there are other, less cumbersome designs, but they all are more involved than a single hook and plate. 

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
There are lots of solutions. What I found was that hardware and frame material gets chewed up pretty quickly - if not from direct hits, then shrapnel. 

Sure, it doesn't cost that much to replace some bolts or carabiners or chain on their own... but to replace all of them, plus rebar and/or other frame material, adds up over time. It seemed like every time I came back from shooting I needed to replace at least one component. 

Also, if you're not setting up a permanent range on your property, hauling 5 pieces of rebar or other steel framing materials, plus whatever you use for joints, plus your hanging hardware, plus the steel target out to the distance you're going to shoot - hundreds of yards - and then having to assemble it... takes time away from my shooting. I hated spending 20-30 minutes just to get all my steel set up before I could start shooting, then another 20-30 minutes to disassemble and haul everything back. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/P1060216-171772.JPG

I ended up getting some new plates that have a single 7/8" hole in them, and then just getting $8 shepherds hooks from home depot. I've only had to replace one so far (from a direct hit) in the last year. They are quick, simple and easy to set up. I just walk out with three hooks and three plates, and put them in the ground and hang the plates. That is WAY nicer than having to haul 15 pieces of rebar, 6 blocks of wood, 6 lengths of chain, and three plates. Obviously there are other, less cumbersome designs, but they all are more involved than a single hook and plate. 

http://photos.imageevent.com/cas6969/misc/Plates.jpg
View Quote
This is a good idea.  Anyone know if I can get a bit that will drill through AR500?  Or do I need a laser or something?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
https://pricedesign-eng.com/shop/

I use this with their 12" gong and it's prefect.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Fleshwound:
https://pricedesign-eng.com/shop/

I use this with their 12" gong and it's prefect.
View Quote
that might be the most durable hanging method ive seen. 3/8" AR500 steel hangers. Nice. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: criley] [#14]

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/P1060216-171772.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/cas6969/misc/Plates.jpg
View Quote
Wife has a slew of those laying around, the biggest issue I might have is getting them in the ground, the range I use is an old gravel pit.

I hear you on set up, my pistol stands take about 10 minutes for all 3. The steel one, heck the walk out 200 yards is a good 3-5 minutes
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Made these over 4 years ago when availability for stands was nonexistent. Uses 5 - 5' lengths of 1/2" rebar

The steel target range cart is new this year.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I use strip curtain material that is used on walk in coolers/freezers. My problem is the bolts get shot out. I carry spares. Even grade 8 isn't hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:36:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: criley] [#19]
Originally Posted By icemann0:

What are you doing back by my Big pond??
View Quote
Just shootin' some of your steel!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#20]
These are fantastic the hold up without any problem for our matches.

http://www.laststands.com/

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have a way to hang a 3” single hole gong that will stand up to 308 hits at 200?

The rubber tears out in 1 or 2 shots
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Chain and S hooks are easily adjustable. Been using chain for years.
Never had it give way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top