Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2017 3:13:51 PM EDT
I an new to reloading and after reading a couple of manuals a few times I am finally getting ready to dive in.

I started out by buying 1500 once fired cases that were decapped, FL sized, trimmed and tumbled. I went through measuring all the cases and the majority range from 1.747 - 1.751.  My question is should I trim them all down to 1.747 or not worry about it and just load them. I have searched around and found trim lengths of 1.74 - 1.76 so I should be fine at 1.747 right?

I will be loading for maximum accuracy and plan to neck size after they are fire formed. Will not be crimping.

Bonus question. Recently installed a 20" 1:8 223 wylde larue stealth barrel. I was at the range with a buddy who had brought a bunch of tulla ammo to play around with. Shooting the tulla every shot would fail to eject and had to slam the bolt back to get it to eject the casing and 2 stuck in the barrel. After disassembling the bolt, cleaning and trying the ammo in my DDM4 I tried some M855 and hornady match I had and there was no problems at all. What about these tulla rounds is my chamber not liking? Is it the steel Case?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
1.747 is fine.  No worries there.
And yes, some rifles don't do well with steel cases
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would load them as is and maybe even do that twice, then trim. They'll stretch for your chamber so trying them now may not do you much good
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha. Wasn't aware they would still grow by just firing. Thought it only occurred with a full length sizing.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrDoubleTap:
Gotcha. Wasn't aware they would still grow by just firing. Thought it only occurred with a full length sizing.
View Quote
Firing can lengthen or shorten the overall length of a case. Expansion pushes the shoulder up as needed to fit the chamber, which could lengthen the case.

A case that has already been fired from a chamber and FL sized without much shoulder bump back may behave differently. Expansion will force the case walls out, which draws the neck down, and can shorten the overall length.

FL sizing should always be expected to result in a lengthened case.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:29:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
Chamber a bunch of cases in your rifle before you load any. I wouldn't trust sized cases by someone else to fit your specific rifle!

Don't drop them in a case gage, check them in your rifle

You don't want to load up 1500 rounds only to find they are not sized enough.

You want to make sure the bolt closes easily on the case and that it extracts easily......
and then buy a Hornady headspace comparator kit for the future.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm new to reloading. I resized my first cases last night too full length and they are IMI  one-time shot by me from a 62 grain. My question is the un trim length was 1.7.2 something I do believe is that too short.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Chamber a bunch of cases in your rifle before you load any. I wouldn't trust sized cases by someone else to fit your specific rifle!

Don't drop them in a case gage, check them in your rifle

You don't want to load up 1500 rounds only to find they are not sized enough.

You want to make sure the bolt closes easily on the case and that it extracts easily......
and then buy a Hornady headspace comparator kit for the future.
View Quote
<This. I will buy once fired military surplus, but I want total control over the reloading process. That means I set my dies up and measure everything throughout the process. I double check whenever I start up again.

I have power trimmers and allow the case to spin under light pressure one full revolution after the trimmer seems to have stopped cutting. This insures +/- .001" trim lengths. Any length shorter than maximum is workable. The coarseness of the shell holder threads and any micro misalignment to the cutting blades gets addressed by letting the case rotate 360 degrees. The shortest cutting angle of the blade gets a chance to hit the entire case mouth. Identical trim lengths is just one more sign that I have OCD. I get 1.750" to 1.751" 100% of the time.

Companies that sell reconditioned brass have specs they want to hold. They may not be the same specs I want to hold. Headspace is always suspect from reconditioned ammo, whether it's actually once fired or not is also a concern. If I have to remove the primer crimp I can be guaranteed it's once fired. I have seen some brass for sale that has had way too much of the crimp cut away, far more than necessary to seat a new primer.

Convenience and speed are the only reason to buy reconditioned brass. For blasting ammo it's probably a good deal. You should check headspace always, and not just a few cases. Mo DeFina makes the best gage on the market and it's costly. RCBS's micrometer is a close second.

Hornady's Lock-N-Load headspace gage system is the best deal simply because it works, but more importantly it will work with virtually 90% of all calibers commonly used in these United States. It's a buy one and you're done deal and it's cheaper than the other two options I suggested. Sinclair International sells better "bump gage inserts" that work with the Hornady Lock-N-Load that conform perfectly to the case shoulder like Mo DeFina's gage. I think they at a worthwhile upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ldw263:
I'm new to reloading. I resized my first cases last night too full length and they are IMI  one-time shot by me from a 62 grain. My question is the un trim length was 1.7.2 something I do believe is that too short.
View Quote
1.720"? If so, that's too short. 1.750" is the "trim to length" in every reloading manual on the market. Follow the instructions. Going a little shorter like the OP will not hurt a thing, but .223 already has a short neck, 1.720" makes it worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top