Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2017 4:07:34 PM EDT
I don't have any once fired brass. I have some new lapua brass and some full length resized brass. I was trying to get the hang of my new hornady head space comparator and I noticed the new brass shoulder is actually shorter than the FL resized brass. Is that to be expected?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The FL resized brass rebounds to the chamber it was fired in so to speak.
Virgin brass is meant to fit in all chambers that SAAMI spec or even tighter
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
I don't have any once fired brass. I have some new lapua brass and some full length resized brass. I was trying to get the hang of my new hornady head space comparator and I noticed the new brass shoulder is actually shorter than the FL resized brass. Is that to be expected?
View Quote

Either you don't have the sizing die turned down enough or the your pulling the case shoulder upward when you draw the expander ball back through the neck. New Lapua brass comes from the factory with too much neck tension. Polishing your expander ball will make it slicker. I spin polish mine using 600 grit wet/dry paper followed by 1500 grit wet/dry paper. It looks like a mirror when I'm done. This ease the passage though the neck. Be careful not to remove any more metal than necessary, just clean it up so it's shiny and you're done.

Some people use lube inside the case necks, I've never had to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top