Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
Trying to reload some once fired S&B brass for my savage 110 fcp... I cannot get the to chamber... any advice? I have some unfired Lapua brand brass... loaded it, shot fine. The S&B was fired out of an armalite...
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cruze5:
did you full length size the brass?
View Quote
I dont know if I even can with my die set... its the RCBS competition set, with the neck sizer that takes a bushing
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
set it up to bump headspace. they slide riht in the chamber, but will not go into battery
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Matt45648:

I dont know if I even can with my die set... its the RCBS competition set, with the neck sizer that takes a bushing
View Quote
If your only neck sizing once fired brass shot out of another rifle, the other rifles chamber dimensions are different than yours. You might try to bump the shoulder further back, but I believe you may have to full length size the brass, fire it, then you can neck size after that since it will be formed to your chamber dimensions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#5]
Trying to reload some once fired S&B brass for my savage 110 fcp... I cannot get the to chamber... any advice? I have some unfired Lapua brand brass... loaded it, shot fine. The S&B was fired out of an armalite...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I dont know if I even can [full length resize] with my die set... its the RCBS competition set, with the neck sizer that takes a bushing
This is all the info we have, so the only things I can say for certain is the RCBS Gold Medal Match die set I googled comes with a full length sizing die that uses a neck bushing . . . and you should certainly know what your dies can do.

Beyond that, there are 4 possibile causes for your problem that quickly come to mind:

1) Neck too long to fit chamber of your gun. In most cases,  you can eliminate this cause with a simple measurement of COL.

2) Neck too fat to fit in chamber. Can happen if fired from a different gun. But if you did resize it and have the correct neck bushing size, this shouldn't happen. Measuring an unfired Lapua case, a new unused Lapua case, and an S&B case that doesn't fit should quickly tell you whether this is possibly the problem. Unlikely.

3) Shoulder not bumped back far enough. Case shoulder hits the chamber's shoulder wall but there's too much case behind it to allow the bolt to close. Using a fired S&B case (fired from a different chamber) and a fired Lapua case (your chamber), measure the BTOs. If the S&B is noticeably longer, this is likely the problem, or at least one of them.

4) Some section of the case body is too fat for your chamber. Comparing measurements of fired S&B and Lapua cases at multiple points along the body should give you an idea where the problem is. Since you actually did FL size the S&B case (**assuming I found the correct RCBS die set), the issue - if one exists - would likely be near the bottom of the case. This problem could be coupled with #3 above. It could be your sizing die just wasn't screwed down far enough. Rarely, it could be a bad die.

** If you have only a neck sizing die, you need to FL size using the body die which does come in the RCBS 3-die Competition set.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the same rifle. Read allot of posts on this rifle and all said same thing. Shoot only Lapua brass in a Lapua magnum rifle. Like others have said, full length resize should correct your issues.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You may need to invest in a body die from Redding to bump the shoulder and size the body.  Then use your GM series neck die to size the brass.
You will need different bushings for each brand of brass.
You will need to work up different loads for each brand of brass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rn22723] [#8]
best to stick with one brand of brass to make die adjustments easier for you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top