Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 8:18:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xLucidx]
I searched a bit and couldnt really find anything about the 147 grainers - lots of stuff from random internet forums but I dont really trust that stuff.

I picked up some 147 grain ELD match bullets but none of the books I have reference 6.5 creed.

I found the Hornady data online, but they are notoriously very conservative with what they publish.

I also found data on the hodgdon website for 6.5, the problem is they dont have published data for the 147's.
Hodgdon data only goes up to 142 grain bullets.

Serveral old reloaders have told me that as long as the bullet is within 5 grains of the weight on the published data to not worry about it.
Obviously im not stupid and im going to work up - likely starting with the bottom end load data for a 142 grain bullet.

but I was curious if anyone has loaded the 6.5cal 147 grain ELD match bullets yet in the creedmoor.
I picked up a pound of H4350 yesterday which seems to be the hot ticket for match loads.

specifically im trying to duplicate the hornady factory load or get a little more velocity than factory which is advertised as 2695fps.
Any first hand experience?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Each gun barrel is a rule unto itself.  Hope you have a chrono to work up the load.
Because guessing is not good!

Just cause a box says "x" that is their barrel in a universal receiver or rifle...using their components in controlled ranges.

And, of course you may be surprised.............................
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I have been loading them for a while with H4350 and I use 43grns in Hornady brass and get 2820fps from my 27" barrel. Obviously don't start there but it ended up the same as my 140 load. They stabilize fine in an 8 twist barrel.

I have shot them to 1020 yards and they shot great easily keeping all shots on a 10" plate and the BC held true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I have been loading them for a while with H4350 and I use 43grns in Hornady brass and get 2820fps from my 27" barrel. Obviously don't start there but it ended up the same as my 140 load. They stabilize fine in an 8 twist barrel.

I have shot them to 1020 yards and they shot great easily keeping all shots on a 10" plate and the BC held true.
I picked up a couple lbs of H4350 since I hear thats the hot ticket in the 6.5 world.

43 grains seems like that would be one heck of a hot load.

I plan to start using mid-range data for the 142 grain bullets and work up from there to try and save a few bullets anyway.

Originally Posted By rn22723:
Each gun barrel is a rule unto itself.  Hope you have a chrono to work up the load.
Because guessing is not good!

Just cause a box says "x" that is their barrel in a universal receiver or rifle...using their components in controlled ranges.

And, of course you may be surprised.............................
I do have a chrono, ive been reloading my own match ammo for a while in .223 and .308.
I just didnt see any published data for the 147 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#5]
Several of us have found 42.3 to be a sweet spot. YMMV

Complete with chrono data

EDIT:
corrected charge amount
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Several of us have found 42.3 to be a sweet spot. YMMV

Complete with chrono data

EDIT:
corrected charge amount
View Quote
Thanks for the post, but I see you were using RL16.

i'm loading with H4350 (the unicorn).

I processed my brass and got my test rounds loaded up using 142 grain matchking data with the COAL suggested from Hornady for the 147 grain bullet.

actually they suggest 2.800" but I loaded mine to 2.807"
I measured the OAL of the factory 147 grain match ammo which shot under half a minute for me and it was 2.807"

I stopped at 41.5 grains in this round of testing. If I can hit 2700fps and maintain the accuracy I have seen with the factory hornady match ammo then thats all im looking for.

fingers crossed that I dont get rained out this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:45:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xLucidx] [#7]
well the weather held out on me and I got to do some initial testing.

All I really had to work with was 142 grain data so below were my charges and velocities.
I was using H4350

40.6 grains - 2562 , 2575 , 2547  AVG - 2561

40.9 grains - 2597 , 2586 , 2609 , 2618   AVG - 2602

41.2 grains - 2611 , 2610 , 2610 , 2618   AVG - 2612 (This is the most consistent handload ive ever had)

41.5 grains - 2634 , 2644 , 2668 , 2644   AVG - 2647

Factory Hornady 147 grain match (control) - 2640 , 2600 , 2595 , 2655   AVG - 2622

I read over on snipers hide I believe that the hornady claim of the factory ammo reaching 2695 is a typo confirmed by Hornady over the phone (stated by the poster) and that the velocity is actually 2650 which seems alot closer to what im seeing.

The funny part about my test loads is every group was good. I usually shoot 4 rounds and measure the smallest 3 for group size because its so hard to be consistent for 5 shots in a row.
Each powder charge group measured right around half moa. the control group with factory ammo was around 3/4 moa.

my final charge of 41.5 grains did show a little flatter primer than the factory ammo did but no other over pressure signs.
maybe a slight hint of the primer starting to crater but there is still more room to go up.

I may try 41.7 and 41.9 grains to see what my velocity is.
my goal was to match the factory ammo but im not sure if its worth it to try and squeeze more velocity out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top